< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: SBS - what *is* the barrel ?  (Read 1881 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
SBS - what *is* the barrel ?
« on: November 28, 2012, 12:12:35 PM »
I've seen some comments in other places that for a SBS, the 'barrel' is not the actual length of the metal tube, but rather from the end of the chamber a few inches from the breach to the muzzle.

What, by law, is the barrel for a shotgun ? particularly, this is a break open side by side...

I'll be measuring my stoeger coach gun later to confirm where 18.5 inches lies, but ....

I'm just wondering about getting a preliminary barrel cut on 10ga sxs to lob off some of them 30+ inch barrels just to make immediately handling a bit easier before eventually going NFA-SBS with it.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: SBS - what *is* the barrel ?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 02:07:09 PM »
Stick a dowel down the muzzle until it hits the bolt face.  Mark the dowel where the muzzle ends, that is the barrel length according to the ATF.

Offline NebraskaGunner

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 03:45:19 PM »
Im doing the same thing with a beater Rossi single shot. I'd give yourself an extra 1/4 to 1/2 inch JIC.  I'd hate to get in deep s*** over a 1/4 inch.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 03:47:41 PM »
It'd be a half inch cover-your-ass thing for my preliminary cut down aye.

I'll also be measuring the stock length to make sure to not fall short of the 26" overall length rule etc as well... but that shouldn't be a problem.

Actually making the cut may be interesting.  Don't really care to do it myself, not quite enough experience.  Sure, I can make a jig and everything but.... prolly would want someone with experience to do it.

Any suggestions on local gunsmiths to ask (Omaha area) ?
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 05:35:03 PM »
i've toyed with this idea too, but since i have a Serbu, i really don't need another small shotgun.  but good luck and post pics of your project.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 05:50:56 PM »
I have cut down a shotgun barrel before by hand.  Used a hacksaw to get it close, then a file and a square to get the end straight.  Kept it at 18.5" just to be safe.  Actually 18.75 because that's where the rib met the barrel.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 05:53:10 PM by bkoenig »

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 06:14:02 PM »
The whole Ruby Ridge thing started over a shotgun initially sawed off at a legal 18" - after final finish is was less than a dimes width short of 18". Start at 18 1/2 - during final finish you will likely lose up to 1/4". Even if your final finish is just under 18 1/2 it isn't going to matter in anything you intend to use it for.

Also keep in mind that the length of the entire weapon HAS to be 26" or greater - so if you plan on a pistol grip stock or something you want to pay very close to your overall measurements.

As a side note if you have a barrel with no vent rib use a plumbers or electricians tubing cutter. You'll get a much cleaner and straighter cut that way.

To figure out how much to cut off stick a dowel down the barrel and mark it at the muzzle. Subtract 18.5 inches from the length of the dowel to that mark - that is how much you want to cut off.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 06:20:28 PM by 00BUCK »

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 08:14:49 AM »
FYI: Stoeger's Coach Guns are all 20" .
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 12:13:12 AM »
Grabbed some tools in preparation for attempting the cut myself (went with a fine metal 32TPI hacksaw blade, and a $25 hacksaw... plan no taking this real slow). 

Still should prolly get pictures put up just in case someone wants to take it off my hands before I mutilate it.

Appreciate the info guys :)

edit:

stoeger - 20" ... yeah... i noticed that when measuring as well.  And it's from muzzle to the break open face, aye.

maybe it's my mossy pistol grip only persuader that's only 18.5" ?