< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Changes in NFA CLEO signatures for Douglas Co / Omaha  (Read 2366 times)

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Changes in NFA CLEO signatures for Douglas Co / Omaha
« on: November 29, 2012, 02:30:53 PM »
I was recently informed by Douglas County Sheriff Office that they are no longer signing NFA forms (Form 1 or Form 4) for persons residing inside Omaha city limits.

I discussed this with Captain Wheeler, from DCSO to gain some understanding of the changes.  He explained that the ATF made this request recently. 

There was a meeting between BATFE, Douglas County Sheriff Office, and Omaha Police Department.  This was maybe 3 months ago.  The meeting was to discuss the ATF's request that NFA forms be signed by Omaha Chief of Police for residents inside Omaha city limits.

It sounded like neither DCSO nor OPD liked the requested change.  I asked whether OPD showed a willingness during that meeting to sign the forms.  I was told no, but needed to test the process.  The Captain was not aware of anyone having gone through that process since the change, so he did not know whether they would sign or not.

There is no change for those in Douglas County and outside Omaha city limits.

The Captain told me the reason the ATF wanted the change was due to the need to verify no ordinances would be violated if the form was granted, and since the County doesn't set ordinances but the City does, it should be the City to verify and sign.  I would imagine the Sheriff would understand ordinances in his jurisdiction regardless of the entity that established them, but what do I know.

I have taken a Form 4 to OPD to request the signature of the Chief.  One of the guys behind the counter seemed to understand the new process and explained that they would run a background check and then once cleared the form would be forwarded to the chief.  It took 48 hours after the Form 4 was submitted to receive a call that the forms were ready to be picked up at the front counter.

I do not know which part of the ATF was in attendance at that meeting, whether it be the local ATF agents for Nebraska (located here in Omaha), or if they were from the NFA branch.

I don't know why the ATF cares who signs the form.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Changes in NFA CLEO signatures for Douglas Co / Omaha
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 06:58:25 PM »
The "rumor" that CLEO signature requirements are to be ended soon does not seem to be at the top of the list for BATFE, otherwise this would be a difference without a distinction
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 08:44:51 PM »
Either way, it is DAMN good news(and just a wee bit surprising) that the new OPD Chief IS signing Form 4's.

Cheers!!!   :D
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline AFLt

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 02:11:28 AM »
this makes me sad  :'(

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 02:18:37 AM »
So for Sarpy county, Bellevue, Papillion, etc we still need CLEO signature? I'm confused.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 09:26:48 AM »
Still need CLEO signatures, that part still has not changed yet.   Unless you go with a trust.