< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: New Gunner  (Read 968 times)

Offline Toster

• NFOA Full Member
New Gunner
« on: April 08, 2009, 11:02:17 AM »
Ok, I am familiar with handguns, but I have a cousin that just bought a new 1911 .45 for home defense in Denver.  He is coming back this weekend and wants to learn about it and gun safety.  He didn't ask me before he bought it, just went and did it.

I asked that he learn the 4 safety rules, http://www.thefiringline.com/Misc/safetyrules.html and read the guns manual.  He has shot some before, but he is by no way experienced.  I would like to show him some practical drills for training and other useful tactics.

I will definitely suggest that he find an instructor in the Denver area (if anyone knows anybody let me know).

Any suggestions on what to teach or how to handle this would be great.  I thought about taking some of my ?smaller guns? Browning Buckmark .22 and a 9mm 1911 or Glock so he can be more focused on the target/training than the big boom/kick.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
Re: New Gunner
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 06:47:06 PM »
Starting with one of your .22's and working up to the .45 Auto is always a good idea.  In my opinion once up to the 9mm and the shooter is comfortable with it move to the .45 Auto owners gun of purchase. Have him purchase some extra Wilson 47D Eight Round Magazines good stuff. Buy lots of targets and start the shooter at app. 10' working up to app. 25'. Also I like to use some plastic water/pop bottles filled with water and food color to show how destructive even a 22.Lr is, helps to put some prospective to how potent and destructive even a small caliber round can be.
Remember some masking tape will help prolong the usefulness of your targets.

Otherwise the Ruger 22/45 Mark III app. $300.00 is a very good choice in .22Lr with the grip similar to a 1911 .45 ACP pistol.

Practicing using safe Dry Firing Drill is one way. Note: Do Not Use A Rimfire .22 for this.
Here is the Link from my article in NFOA Front Page http://nefirearm.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29&Itemid=44

Emphazing Proper Sight Picture

[attachment deleted by admin]
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: New Gunner
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 03:51:39 PM »
 "I thought about taking some of my ?smaller guns? Browning Buckmark .22 and a 9mm 1911 or Glock so he can be more focused on the target/training than the big boom/kick."

The .45 is not all that bad (in a standard loading in a steel framed 5" 1911) as far as recoil, IMHO.  It's what I started with .....

If he is a new shooter, avoid mixing systems- it won't do a lot of good training with a ....say.... a DAO Sigma with an 8 lb trigger pull may actually make his accuracy worse with a single action like the 1911..... the Buckmark would be similar.

With .45 ACP being so spendy of late, I would stress dry-fire: its FREE!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.