< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Questions on NRA LEO Intructor  (Read 1446 times)

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
Questions on NRA LEO Intructor
« on: December 04, 2012, 09:21:08 PM »
No idea if anyone here can help, but it is worth a try:

My command has signed off on it, and it looks like I'll be going to a NRA LE Patrol Rifle Instructor Class in a few months (on mostly my dime of course). Any insight, suggestions, etc is very welcome, but I do have a couple specific questions:

1. I understand that they have a continuing education requirement for LE Instructors. 24 hours every three years, but I have seen some conflicting info on the specifics of this requirement. Do the classes have to be NRA certified? Do they need to be instructor development type classes? Do they have to be in the field of of your certification (i.e. pistol classes if you are a pistol instructor), or will any firearms training do?

2. Kindof a dick question to ask, but: I have not dropped the $$ just yet, so is it worth the $600+gas+lodging+ammo? (I am after a good learning opportunity and stuff for the resume)

3. Is there any other pertinent info I need to know that isn't listed on the NRA website? (I am planning on taking an SBR w/ can, but I have other options if they would not like such a thing)

Thanks in advance, all insight is appreciated.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Questions on NRA LEO Intructor
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 09:40:22 PM »
w11b:

One approach you might use is to call the NRA folks who run that program and chat them up.

They are usually (a) pretty busy and (b) still willing to answer your essential questions.   Especially those in Part #2 of your post.   Maybe they can put you in touch w/similarly qualified LEOs in this area.   Chat them up, too.

I've called NRA HQ on various NRA programs before attending, particularly the Range Technical Team Advisor program I just completed in October.   They've always added something.

Good luck.    Never had a bad NRA program.   Met lotsa Good Folks.   Always learned something.   Now.....$600 Bucks Worth + more, you probably want to learn something and still get some decent future return on your investment.  [Could buy most of a decent used SBR for that price.   Or at least a good down payment.]

And---You're gonna do 8 hours of CE every year, anyhow.

Please keep us posted.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 07:07:52 PM »
Wallace,
My brother is patrol rifle certified for his job and I've forwarded your questions to him.  Will let you know if he gets back to me.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 10:09:53 PM »
Really appreciate it, Dave.

I talked to an LPD training officer and a Beatrice Narc officer tonight about it. Apparently NE LE has no statewide standards for patrol rifle instructor, only for shotgun and pistol, so the NRA cert is as good or better than any others, at least for those two departments.

My command will put me on orders for any instructor level school I want to go to, so I'll prolly knock out NRALE Precision Rifle Instructor once my wallet recovers from this one.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:17:58 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 10:25:17 PM »
Here you go...

#1. Continued education has to be NRA approved, so they have it set up so you have to take NRA instructor classes to meet the requirement. It doesn't have to be the same discipline but would have to be a firearms instructor class. If I remember right you can take something like 12 hours of "other approved training" but eventually you have to take the 5 day class again.

#2 I don't know what your overall goal is. If it is not no be a law enforcement trainer then this is probably not the class for you. If you just want to be BA then get hooked up with a Blackwater training cycle somewhere and they'll teach you "the real deal". Realistically you'll have a ton of $$$$ involved so take your time making the decision... If you decide to go with it then take the Las Vegas class.

#3 Assuming you're still into this.. you will need to make a presentation and teach a class for your final grade. Your class will most likely be 95% law enforcement..... If you want them to take you seriously take a standard issue AR with red dot scope.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 10:53:55 PM »
Here you go...

#1. Continued education has to be NRA approved, so they have it set up so you have to take NRA instructor classes to meet the requirement. It doesn't have to be the same discipline but would have to be a firearms instructor class. If I remember right you can take something like 12 hours of "other approved training" but eventually you have to take the 5 day class again.

#2 I don't know what your overall goal is. If it is not no be a law enforcement trainer then this is probably not the class for you. If you just want to be BA then get hooked up with a Blackwater training cycle somewhere and they'll teach you "the real deal". Realistically you'll have a ton of $$$$ involved so take your time making the decision... If you decide to go with it then take the Las Vegas class.

#3 Assuming you're still into this.. you will need to make a presentation and teach a class for your final grade. Your class will most likely be 95% law enforcement..... If you want them to take you seriously take a standard issue AR with red dot scope.

Let him know thanks.

The CE requirement seems like a bit of a PITA, but if I do the PR instructor class that will serve for my next recert.

Yes, the terminal goal is to be an LE instructor down the road, after I do several years as a beat cop.

For the time being I want something for the resume, and above all, the chance to see and learn the LEO perspective on carbine/rifle training and employment.

As of now, planning on taking the one near Topeka next spring.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:56:52 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 04:56:03 PM »
For any spectators watching this thread who care or are interested, I found the data on CE requirements I was looking for from another instructor.

http://www.nrahq.org/law/training/graphics/recert-coned_faq.pdf