< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Election Results  (Read 1139 times)

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
Election Results
« on: December 05, 2012, 12:28:11 PM »
Well I think we all know what the good news is: Deb Fischer was elected to the US Senate over Bob Kerrey and with that we kicked the Democrats out of the Federal Delegation. Now for the bad news:

According to my research the 2011-2012 Nebraska Legislature had: 33 Republicans, 15 Democrats and 1 Independent (Brad Ashford).

For the new Nebraska Legislature for the years 2013-2014 we now have: 29 Republicans, 17 Democrats and 3 Independents (Ernie, Ashford, Al Davis)

Sadly....Rich Pahls seat (31) went to Democrat Rick Kolowski NRA Grade: F

Tony Fulton's seat (29) went to Democrat Kate Bolz (she filled out NRA's questionnaire and they gave her an A...i assume she gave them the answers they wanted to hear)

Abbie Cornett's seat (45) went to Democrat Sue Crawford (she filled out NRA's questionnaire and they also gave her an A...i assume she gave them the answers they wanted to hear)

More bad news: Mike Flood's seat stayed in Republican hands but the person elected: Jim Scheer was given an F rating by the NRA and it was not based off of a questionnaire.

The NRA gave Ken Haar a B rating which I find odd.

And as we all know Ernie Chambers has returned to make life miserable for all Nebraskans and since Republicans only hold 29 seats Ernie will be able to use his filibusters to block any kind of meaningful self defense & gun rights progress.

....The seat left behind by Deb Fischer was taken by Independent Al Davis. All I know about him is that the NRA gave him an A rating on the questionnaire and that LeRoy Louden (R) had endorsed him.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Election Results
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 12:38:27 PM »
Haar has a "B" due to his positive support and voting on CHP improvements...

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 02:06:05 PM »
Honestly, I'd put more stock in Andy and the NFOA-PAF on their ratings.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 03:54:27 PM »
I'm trying to get a complete write up done for the NFOA-PAF but wanted to give a couple of comments while the topic is here:

Well I think we all know what the good news is: Deb Fischer was elected to the US Senate over Bob Kerrey and with that we kicked the Democrats out of the Federal Delegation. Now for the bad news:

YAH

According to my research the 2011-2012 Nebraska Legislature had: 33 Republicans, 15 Democrats and 1 Independent (Brad Ashford).

For the new Nebraska Legislature for the years 2013-2014 we now have: 29 Republicans, 17 Democrats and 3 Independents (Ernie, Ashford, Al Davis)

Sadly....Rich Pahls seat (31) went to Democrat Rick Kolowski NRA Grade: F

Rick tried to claim to be pro gun but failed to respond to the NFOA-PAF's questionnaire and failed on the NRA's, Acela was supported by the NFOA-PAF as well as the Governor.  Unfortunately Rick Kolowski has been active and well know in that area and name recognition won.

Tony Fulton's seat (29) went to Democrat Kate Bolz (she filled out NRA's questionnaire and they gave her an A...i assume she gave them the answers they wanted to hear)

Yes Kate gave the answers that the NRA wanted to hear, I know she received assistance on her questionnaire (possibly answering for her).  Larry Zimmerman failed to get help with his and misunderstood several of the NRA's questions and his answers were considered to be lacking.  He did great on the NFOA-PAF's questionnaire and Kate failed to respond, so the NFOA-PAF endorsed Larry.  In the final week of the campaign the NRA sent out endorsement cards to all the NRA members in that district and with the help Kate already had I personally think it was a big boost.  To try to counter that the NFOA-PAF did robo calls into the district endorsing Larry but I think it was to little to late.

Abbie Cornett's seat (45) went to Democrat Sue Crawford (she filled out NRA's questionnaire and they also gave her an A...i assume she gave them the answers they wanted to hear)

Again you are correct, on the NRA's questionnaire, it seems that the Dem's do a real good job of getting assistance with these for those that want it.  Richard Carter was a good candidate and was endorsed by the NFOA-PAF not just from his questionnaire but the many conversations we had with him over the year leading up to election.  I do not think that the firearms issue had any real bearing in this race, there was lots of things that happened just before the election that turned many voters to Sue.  But this is as you are showing another seat we missed out upon.

More bad news: Mike Flood's seat stayed in Republican hands but the person elected: Jim Scheer was given an F rating by the NRA and it was not based off of a questionnaire.

This is a race that neither candidate responded to the NFOA-PAF and I know nothing about either. Jim Scheer again was a known name having been Mayor in Norfolk, his rating from the NRA is most likely based upon the fact that he supported Norfolk's ban on Concealed Carry after the Concealed Carry Act passed.

The NRA gave Ken Haar a B rating which I find odd.

Ken's grade from the NRA is based really upon two things: yes he has voted for the pro gun bills that has made it to the floor, he does not rock the boat on things that are passing anyway.  Also he has been a strong supporter of protecting our environment, including support for related issues the NRA is interested in.  The NFOA-PAF graded him with an F not only because he did not take the time to respond to our survey but also he does not take the time to speak with us our some of his constituents.  Hopefully he will not have something come to the floor that is anti gun in the next four years that he can support because that is the way the wind is blowing...

And as we all know Ernie Chambers has returned to make life miserable for all Nebraskans and since Republicans only hold 29 seats Ernie will be able to use his filibusters to block any kind of meaningful self defense & gun rights progress.

Just because someone is a Dem does not mean the will not support our gun legislation, so we may still be able to break his filibusters.  But it does make the job harder.

....The seat left behind by Deb Fischer was taken by Independent Al Davis. All I know about him is that the NRA gave him an A rating on the questionnaire and that LeRoy Louden (R) had endorsed him.

Al is moderate on gun issues, I spoke with him a couple of times and I think his vote can be had (the NFOA-PAF gave him a C, we try to have personal conversations not just judge based upon surveys.) but there are many issues we will need to educate him on and others where we will not be able to get his support.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 04:27:40 PM by AAllen »

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 04:34:32 PM »
If anyone here wants to do something now to help the NFOA during the next legislative session if you are in Congressional District 3 there is something big you can do.  Contact your Senator and ask that they do not trade away one of their seats upon the Judiciary Committee.  They normally trade one of their seats away for the Judiciary to District 2 so that they can get District 2's seat on the Ag or Natural Resources Committees.

Right now there is one seat open in the Judiciary Committee (unless a member wants to trade they normally stay there until they are out of office), that would be the one Brenda Council held and Ernie would be filling.  But if the Senators from Congressional District 3 keep both seats available to them that means that either someone needs to be put off the Committee to make room for Ernie or he ends up someplace else, and the Republican Majority will have a say in where.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 08:36:54 AM »
What about Brad Ashford. He will be still on the committee right? But he is probably leaving next year to run for Omaha Mayor...which would let Heineman pick a good replacement?

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 08:55:24 AM »
What about Brad Ashford. He will be still on the committee right? But he is probably leaving next year to run for Omaha Mayor...which would let Heineman pick a good replacement?

He won't leave the Unicam to run for mayor, no way no how.
A replacement would be picked for him only if he becomes Mayor of Omaha.  Bad situation for Omahans either way.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 09:25:34 AM »
He won't leave the Unicam to run for mayor, no way no how.
A replacement would be picked for him only if he becomes Mayor of Omaha.  Bad situation for Omahans either way.

Doesn't really matter Suttle is just as a pain in the butt. If we can get Ashford out of the legislature and into the Omaha mayors office that would be a good deal if Heineman appoints a friendly in his place.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 09:27:55 AM »
This is my opinion, nothing here is hard fact but the way I read the tea leaves.

Brad Ashford is an interesting situation.  Brad will in the near future make a decision (he may have made it already) about what he is going to do.  He may step down as a Senator to concentrate on running for Mayor, he is getting a lot of support and if he feels that he needs to put more time into the race (remember that Omaha elections, primary and general, are during the legislative session) in order to win it he may step down.

Though I'm not banking on him stepping down what that means for the Judiciary Committee.  Steve Lathrop will most likely become Chairman of the Committee, making his spot for District 2 open Which would most likely be filled by Ernie even if District 3 kept both positions.

Does this help or hurt us, I think it is kind of neutral without some other moving around (which is possible, someone may want Brad's position on another committee) but does make things a little challenging.  Those that know me know I am not a Lathrop fan, but he will run a fair public hearing and am certain that with a balanced committee his influence would be to making better law not just being a hindrance to getting anything done.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 09:46:59 AM »
Will Ashford step down?  That is a tough question, right now the Omaha's mayors race is three ways; Suttle, Ashford, and Stothert (she has the lead primarily because she got out and got started first.  Why do I have her as the third over another candidate, look at the attacks the other Republicans in the race have thrown the last week or so.)  Brad wants to be Omaha's Mayor and has for a long time, but the timing has never right. 

Is it right now?  Well this may be his last chance to make a run for this office and he has gotten some strong support and allies for this race.  There are a lot of people not satisfied with Suttle and the Republican Candidates (not degenerating any of them) are all beatable (for varying reasons).  So this is actually (politically speaking) a good time for him to make a run.

Does he think he needs to put more time into that race and that it will interfer with the time he has for the Legislature?  I have no answer for that, but would make the odds about 60% that he stays in the Legislature and some others would put that higher.