< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 12-11-2012 Oregon Mall Shooting  (Read 926 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
12-11-2012 Oregon Mall Shooting
« on: December 11, 2012, 08:21:21 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/11/us/oregon-mall-shooting/?hpt=hp_t1

3 dead including shooter.

Article annoyed me, so I'll leave my comments with saddened by the loss of life :(
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline muleshemi

• Forum Member
Re: 12-11-2012 Oregon Mall Shooting
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 09:14:51 PM »
I'm confused, That mall is a gun free zone... How is this possible?

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:38:30 AM »
I'm confused, That mall is a gun free zone... How is this possible?

Its possible because we allow property owners, whose property is open to the public, the ability to post no gun signs. Its possible because most people don't have CCWs, many who do don't carry and many that do carry don't have the skills or the will to intervene.

This particular mall wasn't posted "no fighting back". These incidents show over and over again how people freeze and have no positive action modes conditioned to respond with. This guy's gun jammed and still nobody took defensive action. We have serious work to do...

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 11:01:22 AM »
How about "No Mask" zones in areas that attract people.  :(

Offline Sincendiary

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 04:26:26 AM »
This article started me in a google loop to other articles (public shootings are kind of a hotbutton issues for me).

Many articles were stating he gave "no warning." 

However, Jacob Roberts was definitely displaying some classic suicide red flags.

ABC News report highlights this here: http://abcnews.go.com/US/oregon-mall-shooter-jacob-roberts-quit-job-hawaii/story?id=17946938

"Jacob Roberts quit his job, sold his belongings and began to seem "numb" to those closest to him."

His ex-girlfiend stated in the same article:
"He was supposed to catch a flight Saturday and I texted him, and asked how his flight went, and he told me, 'oh, I got drunk and didn't make the flight,'" she said. "And then this happens... It makes me think, was he even planning on going to Hawaii? He quit his job, sold all of his things."

Friends and family who have some basic depression awareness education to see these signs and a culture where it's okay to ask him about suicide and get him help would do more than any gun law.  I wish that Bloomberg would take some of that huge anti-gun money to give that education and culture of acceptance to the public.

It'll protect a hell of a lot more people.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 04:54:31 AM »
American society tends to be 'cant happen to me or those I know'.  Dunno if any 'awareness' programs would be of any help.  And most 'awareness' programs tend to involve putting limits on things that they have no business putting limits on :(.

That said, would be awesome to see the anti-gun money go to something more useful, though. Ignorance breeds fear, and firearms are no exception. Basic safety classes would go miles for helping out in this regard... as well as make things better over all.  Imagine if 1/20th of anti-gun money was spent on educating people instead of spreading fear/uncertainty/doubt ...

Boss isn't adverse to firearms, and is very comfy with my concealed carry. Don't believe he owns one personally but his dad was in the 101st Airborne during WW2 etc.  He had a great quip concerning fire arms and teaching kids about it.  Something along the lines of:

Your house may not have a gun, but your kids WILL be exposed to one eventually.  If its at a friends house tomorrow, or further down the road in life.  EVERYONE should know basic firearm safety.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D