< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Who Sez the 9mm is Puny?????  (Read 1209 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Who Sez the 9mm is Puny?????
« on: December 12, 2012, 05:52:49 PM »
Lookahere:

Metalstorm

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZFjGbOyd2ek?rel=0

Beats the Snot Outta Your Everyday .45ACP!!!!!!   Just a Bit Hard to Conceal.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: Who Sez the 9mm is Puny?????
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 06:07:13 PM »
Something along the lines of artillery or planes or something else where reload time isn't a concern... sure.

They seem to show the pistol version a fair bit, but... how ya reload the thing seems a bit weird.

They do sell a secondary under barrel attachment 12ga thing.  Apparently to reload you swap out the entire barrel.  I dunno if this means the entire barrel has to be replaced after every firing or if there's a way to load them yourself like you would a magazine.  I suppose you'd have to clean the barrels for proper electrical contact as well.

If you've got a quad barrel 9mm pistol with 3 rounds each at say 5 inches... dunno how much useful barrel length you get, but carrying the pistol and then 1 or 2 extra barrel sets might not be too bad.  Again, depends if you can load the barrels yourself (gotta be able to practice with the weapon if you're gonna carry it.... having to order a pack of 100 factory barrels would suck).
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 06:29:38 PM »
Coming soon to your local gun shop:)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 07:57:47 PM »
There were a few history/discovery channel pieces on the company / technology.  One of them went into more detail concerning small arms (ie: pistol)  and that you'd swap out the barrels to 'reload' and that it would use a 9V battery etc.  It appears they're sticking with military stuff at the moment which makes sense - that's where the money is heh.

I'm kinda curious about their projectiles.  It's gotta be your ballistic tip (ie: jacketed lead fmj/hp stuff)... but ... in order to avoid bore obstructions, the brass case would need to be attached to the bullet as well (so that it pulls the brass out of the barrel so the next round isnt obstructed).  This would in effect make each bullet a mini missile / rocket.... projectile head + empty cylinder that held propellant.

How tight the gas seal between projectiles is also curious.  As such, are the bullets seated within the rifling grooves or are they sabot'd or something ?  Bullet running distance to rifling grooves would be weird in something where the rounds towards the front of the muzzle have less distance to the grooves vs those towards the 'breach' (as it were) would have a huge run measured in inches.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 09:51:27 PM »
Looks Like............

You start each course of fire with a Snubbie!!!!!!!!!!
!

[And.............Caseless Ammo.   What!!??   No Empty Brass to Scrounge?????]

sfg
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 10:06:11 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 09:57:21 PM »
Anyone ever read any of John Ringo's books?  He wrote a whole series set in the near future where earth gets invaded by a swarm of carnivorous aliens.  One of the weapons devised by the humans to defend against the aliens is a Metal Storm system, made of multiple M1A1 barrels mounted on an M1A1 chassis.

In the book it was painful for the crew to fire.  I imagine so, but I'd shoot it once....

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 10:15:35 PM »
I'm kinda curious about their projectiles.  It's gotta be your ballistic tip (ie: jacketed lead fmj/hp stuff)... but ... in order to avoid bore obstructions, the brass case would need to be attached to the bullet as well (so that it pulls the brass out of the barrel so the next round isnt obstructed).  This would in effect make each bullet a mini missile / rocket.... projectile head + empty cylinder that held propellant.

Back in the day….  In the 1970’s there was talk of a “Gy-rock” weapon that used rocket propelled rounds without the necessity for cased ammo.  Bullet and propellant both in a single package with the bullet having stabilizer fins to provide the rotation for a gyroscopically stable round.  I seem to remember one company (don’t ask, I can’t remember) that made prototypes and had plans for retail sale. 

All that to say that there is no real need for a brass case, only the propellant and a bullet, if the weapon is designed properly. 

Anyone ever read any of John Ringo's books?  He wrote a whole series set in the near future where earth gets invaded by a swarm of carnivorous aliens.

Just finished book 3.  Gotta stop by my buds place and return them to him and get the next in the series.  Great books so far, personally I’m kinda partial to the rail guns the Space Forces use.   40,000 shots before reloading! :D

Ron

NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 10:52:33 PM »
Back in the day….  In the 1970’s there was talk of a “Gy-rock” weapon that used rocket propelled rounds without the necessity for cased ammo.  Bullet and propellant both in a single package with the bullet having stabilizer fins to provide the rotation for a gyroscopically stable round.  I seem to remember one company (don’t ask, I can’t remember) that made prototypes and had plans for retail sale. 

There is apparently nothing really new under the sun anymore.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrojet

Anybody remember seeing one of these pistols for sale when Western Gun was still in business in Lincoln?

A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 12:39:26 PM »

This assumes that these weapons make use of metallic cartridges instead of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caseless_ammunition

Admin edited bad link

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 11:26:26 PM »
Caseless ammo... well yeah, it would have to be.

If it's the traditional caseless such as mentioned in the wikipedia article, I.... dunno.

Looking at the metal storm gallery for their 3 shot 40mm launcher.... the projectile portion of the round does seem to form the gas seal for the round in front of it.  The rest of the round doesn't particularly make too much sense to me upon first inspection.... I'll have to think about it some more.  Looking at the action shot of the projectile leaving the weapon, it's hard to tell if the black/grey part of the round is attached or simply gone.

This does bet some questions though.  If it is entirely caseless ... and going with their system of multiple rounds stacked inside a single barrel.... what happens if a round doesn't fire and then you try to fire the one behind it ?  Does the system have a way of detecting this bore obstruction ?

A picture of their 40mm ammo:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111237256184714703968/Munitions#5539578717079959986

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 11:28:56 PM »
https://picasaweb.google.com/111237256184714703968/LandWarfareConference2010#5545531145589102114

This shows the grey thing at the bottom is hollowish.

The black could be a hard caseless-ammo propellant, and the grey plastic either vaporizes or just isn't a problem, particularly in 40mm which isn't really high pressure afaik.