< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: A change in strategy  (Read 1798 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
A change in strategy
« on: December 12, 2012, 09:39:54 PM »
First an analogy to lay down the ground work...

My Evil Plan:
When I'm at work, we get meals delivered to us if we are on duty through a meal period.  Often times, the standard boxed meal comes with some kind of dessert.  I always pull the dessert out and tell the other guy/gal that the caterer goofed up and put their dessert in my box.  Inevitably, they tell me "No, I got dessert too".  So I tell them "Well, I'm not going to eat it so you might as well".  A majority of the time, their willpower crumbles and they take my dessert too.  What they don't know is that I am not just trying to eat healthy and keep my weight down.  As a bonus side effect, the other people I work with gain weight on the average.  So if I don't lose weight, or even if I gain a couple of pounds, I still look good in comparison to my fellow workers.  Or stated another way...I don't need to do anything, I just have to trick those around me into going the opposite direction.  >:D

How this relates to my training...
I was doing some training under the guidance of one of our well known NFOA'ers when I had an epiphany.  These people I am paying to pass on their knowledge are the exact same people who leave me in the dust at every competition.  And what do these folks do with the money we give them?  Do they donate it to charity? Do they feed their family? NO!  They use it to buy more ammo, more guns, and more gun accessories.  The exact same tools that they use to wipe up the range with my posterior every time I go.

So here is the idea I had.  Instead of paying them to lift us up to their level, how about we cut off their training funds to make them slide down to our level?  Less ammo, less capable guns, and no more cool stuff to make them shoot better.  And WE end up with more money for ammo, guns, and accessories.  So we force them to meet us in the middle.

What do you think?  I can't do this all on my own. 

Another idea I had was to offer my own classes.  I don't have the skills to teach people what they need to know to be competitive.  Rather, my class would demonstrate what NOT to do if you ever want to win.  Send me a PM if you are interested.

Fly

Yes...I'm just joking.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: A change in strategy
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 09:42:40 PM »
A little early in the week to be hitting the sauce, isn't it?

:)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 09:44:27 PM »
A little early in the week to be hitting the sauce, isn't it?

:)

Who said I ever stopped?

Fly

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 07:17:39 AM »
You're definitely onto something.  I don't know why I haven't seen this before!  It's so obvious! 

I too, am the poster boy for "what not to do" but I lack the charisma or salesmanship or whatever to get others to emulate me. 

Maybe I need to invent some kind of Ronco'ish piccatinny rail mounted doo-dad that's supposed to aim the gun for the shooter and sell it on TV for 6 low monthly payments of only $19.95 and if the buyer acts before midnight, they get a free Slim Whitman album!  (Just include an additional $5.95 for additional shipping and handling.)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 08:02:43 AM »
And winter has only just begun. :o

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 08:41:05 AM »
Hmmmm. Ya know, this idea could go a long long way in building self esteem.  How cool would it be to see the results of the January USPSA Match.

JTH     100%
Zeeb  100%
Koz    100%
Fly      100%
Duk     100%
etc.     100%

No need to practice, everyone gets a medal.   :)

\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 08:51:54 AM »
Maybe I need to invent some kind of Ronco'ish piccatinny rail mounted doo-dad that's supposed to aim the gun for the shooter and sell it on TV for 6 low monthly payments of only $19.95 and if the buyer acts before midnight, they get a free Slim Whitman album!  (Just include an additional $5.95 for additional shipping and handling.)
I can hear it now.  "...but WAIT! That's not all! If you..."

Fly

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 09:48:18 AM »

So, one of these except for a handgun?

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2010/10/01/self-aiming-shot-sniper-rifle-scheduled-year/

I'd buy one.   :)

(Better be fast-working, though!)

[snark]Considering how some "national-level" trainers are making money on what is (to my mind) stacks of nonsense (putting it mildly), I'm pretty sure you'd actually get people to buy it, Lorimor.[/snark]
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 12:56:56 PM »
And the layers of the onion continue to be pealed back...

Another analogy...
During one of the USPSA stages at ENGC I was one of the first shooters up with some of the best shooters yet to follow me.  I came up with a strategy which turned out to be a miracle.  A miracle because a) I followed the strategy, and b) the strategy worked.  After I shot the stage, one of the top five ENGC shooters that was in our squad came up to me and said "That was genius".  This made me feel pretty good until he used my strategy to beat me even worse  than he normally would.

How this applies to my training...
So I'm taking a winter "distance learning class" trying to improve my shooting.  Every week I send my training log to the instructor so he can review it.  I just realized that what he is likely doing is using my infrequent moments of "genius" to improve his game.  So I have decided to start using misdirection.  I have been writing notes that I present as a revelation, but that I know will not work. 

Smart...like a coyote!

Fly