< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: FEG PA-63  (Read 2678 times)

Offline GFXSandman

• NFOA Full Member
FEG PA-63
« on: April 11, 2009, 04:22:57 PM »

This one belongs to my Girlfriend she loves it. Its her first firearm

Here is a little history on it for those who are unfamiliar with it

F?G ARMY Arms Factory of Hungary started producing Walther PP/PPK clones in the late 1940s starting with their Model 48 which differed from the Walther PP only in minor details. By the late 1950s F?G began making broader changes resulting in the PA-63, which uses a 9x18mm Makarov round. It quickly became standard issue to both Hungarian military and police forces. Due to its popularity and relative durability F?G later issued models using .32ACP and .380 ACP caliber rounds (F?G AP9 and PMK-380 respectively).

The Military standard PA-63 version sports a two-tone polished aluminium frame with black slide, grips, trigger and hammer assembly. While unusual for military issue in that a reflective polish was used, it was chosen due to its relative cheapness as well as quicker build time. Problems related to the durability of the aluminium frame were resolved prior to the development of the PA-63 in 1961 with the production of the F?G R-61 Police Pistol. The addition of .1% titanium to the aluminium alloy solved premature alloy frame wear problems inherent in the earlier F?G aluminium framed pistols. This development was then applied to all aluminium framed F?G guns including the PA-63.

Bullet weight/type          Velocity                    Energy
95 gr (6.2 g) FMJ    319 m/s (1,050 ft/s)    313 J (231 ft?lbf)

9x18mm is ballistically inferior to the 9x19mm Parabellum cartridge. While there are no official SAAMI pressure specs for the 9x18mm cartridge, tests indicate that surplus ammunition develop pressures in the mid 20,000 psi, significantly less than the 35,000 psi or more generated by 9mm Parabellum loads. As such it is designed to be used in low powered blow back semiautomatics, much like the .380 ACP cartridge, rather than locked breech designs required for higher pressure cartridges like the 9 mm Parabellum.
9x18mm casing

The 9x18mm cartridge is not interchangeable with the more powerful 9 mm Parabellum, 9 mm Largo, and its ballistic performance is much closer to its little brother .380 ACP.

Offline GFXSandman

• NFOA Full Member
Re: FEG PA-63
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 02:09:05 PM »
Yep, this one's mine. Love it, wish it could do more though. ;D

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 10:37:52 PM »
Can you use Walther PPK mags with it?  Any other Walther parts interchangeable? 
NRA Life Member.

Offline GFXSandman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 02:17:03 AM »
I'm not sure. I'll have to do some checking. That's a great question though.