< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: AR-15 vs M1A  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Pancake_Effect

• Forum Member
AR-15 vs M1A
« on: December 17, 2012, 06:56:35 PM »
I know this has been a very discussed topic at other sites. But I'm in the market for a new rifle, and I'm not sure if I should get a high quality AR-15 or a M1A (civilian version of M-14)

I'm hoping to use it for literally everything. Home defense, hunting, etc. etc.

I'm looking for something durable, doesn't jam as much, and meets the needs above.

The main thing I'm curious about is since because of all of the recent issues and the politics behind trying to ban assault weapons recently...will the M1A be on that list? I know the AR-15 will for sure if passed.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
Re: AR-15 vs M1A
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 09:38:09 PM »
We have no idea how this come out in terms of a ban.    Nothing but speculation.

What caliber would the M14 be in.  Traditionally its a 308 so you cant really compare the two.  If you can get it in .223 that would be a good comparison.

Ar15 and m14 not good for home defense IMO.  Too much penetration power.  What will you hunt?  Rabbit then get an AR, 308 is too powerfull.  Deer?  then you need a 308 IMO.

I personally like the M14 but it cost too darn much.    You cant go wrong with an ar-15.

Offline Mikee Loxxer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 08:08:26 PM »
I too would like an M1A (National Match for me please!). I too wonder if they will be "on the list."

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 09:01:41 PM »
Really no way to know.  At this point I'm guessing they're going to go after all semi autos.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 11:40:26 PM »
At this point I'm guessing they're going to go after all semi autos.

Don't worry, Taurus has it covered.

*snicker* ... and yes they do make it in larger calibers.

Edit:

Being me, I'd prefer an M1A myself (i'll echo national match plz! hehe)... but that's all just personal mumbo jumbo that don't matter one bit.

Seriously though, AR15 vs M1A, does depend a lot what you're intended goals.  Matching bullet termination power with intended target is rather key.  Sure, you can shoot a rabbit with a 308, but don't expect there to be anything meaningful/useful left over (pelt, etc).  Similarly, putting 223 into a deer is silly (there, I said it. haters gonna hate).

For 308, you can get either gun chambered for it, but the M1A has a very long history with 308, so I'd suggest that.

For 223, the AR15 similarly has a very long history for that round... so I'd suggest a decent quality AR for it.

For close quarters, either will undoubtedly have over-penetration concerns. 

If you want to go for distance shots, I'd suggest the M1A myself.... although there are folks that can do well with a well tuned AR.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:48:50 PM by unfy »
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Sincendiary

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 05:18:19 AM »
I really think if you're going to try to buy one gun to do it all, you're going to be unhappy with it on all accounts.  Prioritize which role you really want first, buy for it and when you're ready to buy for the next role, buy for it.  That said...any gun is better than no gun ;)

M1A is one of the loophole high cap rifles in California (they still can't buy high cap magazines for it but if they already have them they can use them).   

If you're comparing an AR in 308 to an M1A, you're going to see a bit more accuracy out of the AR platform for the same price point.  You're going to see a 2 MOA gun out the gate most likely and around an MOA gun for the AR out the gate.  You can make the M1A a hyper accurate rifle but it's going to cost you.  You also have a few more configuration options in the AR platform, they are also much easier to customize than M1A for optics and other accessories.

However, you probably could get an M1A slightly cheaper than an AR in 308 out the gate as well.  The aesthetics and overall class of the M1A is just damn nice to have around.

For hunting, it really depends on what you hunt like skydve76 stated.  I frankly would rather have 308 for hunting as anything I would eat and can shoot with a .223 I would probably shoot with 22LR.

Frankly, I would rather have .223 for home defense for over-penetration concerns.  There are better loads available to use, there's a reason why SWAT teams switched to carbines in 5.56 over submachine guns for urban close quarters.  Also, I would rather have the AR platform for this reason just because I am more familar with it.  However, if you live in the middle of no where in a rural area, you can probably make 308 do it all.