< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: NRA makes it's position known...  (Read 2618 times)

Offline stutzcattle

• NFOA Full Member
NRA makes it's position known...
« on: December 21, 2012, 12:01:49 PM »
http://home.nra.org/pdf/Transcript_PDF.pdf

The only way to answer that question is to face up to the truth.
Politicians pass laws for Gun-Free School Zones. They issue press
releases bragging about them. They post signs advertising them.
And in so doing, they tell every insane killer in America that schools
are their safest place to inflict maximum mayhem with minimum risk.
How have our nation's priorities gotten so far out of order? Think
about it. We care about our money, so we protect our banks with
armed guards. American airports, office buildings, power plants,
courthouses — even sports stadiums — are all protected by armed
security.
We care about the President, so we protect him with armed Secret
Service agents. Members of Congress work in offices surrounded by
armed Capitol Police officers.
Yet when it comes to the most beloved, innocent and vulnerable
members of the American family — our children — we as a society
leave them utterly defenseless, and the monsters and predators of this
world know it and exploit it. That must change now!...

I like the way they have now framed the debate.  It's about school safety, not "Assault Rifles".

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: NRA makes it's position known...
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 12:25:30 PM »
I fully support this position and it (for once ) jives with the NFOA's efforts and my own personal belief that "gun free zones" are the problem
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Jeepguy

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 01:07:58 PM »
My guess is the quote will not look anything like that when spoken about by the national media over the next few days. They will pick a few lines out and change the back drop to put a different slant to the buzz lines they want to use.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 01:52:39 PM »
I thought they did a good job, I might have changed some things, but they likely have good reasons for what was said and not said. I'm sure they spent alot of time developing content and delivery

Everyone saw the nutjob?

The antis do not want "a discussion." They know a discussion takes time, and they will loose their ability to capitalize on this tragedy. They do not care about facts, logic, or what actually works, and they sure as hell don't care about our rights.

If you are reading this right now and you are not an NRA member, you are wrong. Join, then get your friends and family to join. It is time to cease-fire on all the infighting... all hands on deck.

Join. Join right now:
http://membership.nrahq.org/

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 02:39:06 PM »
I'd like it if the NRA awarded some grants to schools to help pay for uniformed resource officers. The districts often have to pay the police department to have an officer on campus.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 04:40:54 PM »
I didn't see the press conference, but did read the first couple of pages of the text... I thought the opening was brilliantly stated.  Americans are going to be forced to answer the question, who is important enough to protect with more than the bodies of teachers?  If our children aren't important enough, but losers like Bloomberg are (because you aren't convincing me his bodyguards aren't armed), where do we draw the line?  I hope that is what the NRA hammers away with in the media, and it's what I'll talk about in my discussions too.  Why aren't the children of America important enough to protect with armed guards/staff when the nutjobs of the world know that they can make a name for themselves by shooting up a school?  In the next two months, if someone came into my school, they could meet 4 armed staff members in the first 6 rooms then enter.  (Two of us have our permits, two more are taking the class in the next month.) Tell me that wouldn't end badly for the bad guy...
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline stutzcattle

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 05:30:27 PM »
The shooting was a terrible tragedy.  We need to learn from these killings.  We also need to see the opportunity that has presented itself.  Now is our chance to educate the rest of the public to the inherent dangers of "Gun Free Zones".   It is beyond me why anyone would enter one of these zones without a weapon of some sort.  If anyone knows of anything I can do to help promote these ideals, I'm more than willing to do something.  This is probably the last significant battle for the 2A.  If we lose this one, we've given up too much liberty for too little security and will never get it back.  They will rewrite history and our children and grandchildren won't even know what true freedom was like.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 06:41:20 PM »
I fully support this position and it (for once ) jives with the NFOA's efforts and my own personal belief that "gun free zones" are the problem

QFT

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 08:19:23 PM »
The money quote was "The only thing that will stop a bad man with a gun is a good man with a gun."
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 11:29:03 PM »
 If I hear "no one needs..." one more ****ing time....

I am currently sorting through statistics to make a list of things "No one needs" that are used to kill more people than ANY firearm, let alone semi-automatic rifles with scary cosmetic features, which are used in less than 0.05% of violent crimes (the actual number is considered "statistically insignificant" according the Federal Bureau of Investigation). So far I have:

1. Any vehicle that goes faster than 55mph.
2. Alcohol
3. Tobacco
4. Motorcycles
5. Sex
6. Unhealthy Foods
7. Cosmetic Surgery
8. Foreign Aid
9. Recreational Vehicles (ATVs)

Feel free to add to the list, just started on it a few hours ago.

Any society that values liberty should not entertain "no one needs.. " as a viable debate point. The reason for banning ANYTHING should not be "there is no reason not to." And considering we are discussing a constitutional right, there had better be a damn good reason to even talk about banning it.

Offline cckyle

• NFOA Full Member
  • KD0MKS
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 12:30:44 AM »
Wallace...  That, "no one needs" really gets to me too.  These anti-guns and those sitting on the sidelines don't care about what we need/want.  Far to often people in our society couldn't care less about a right/want/need they don't exercise; the only ones that matter are the ones that are important to them.  When they ban firearms though, all those things on your list will be the next things up for grab. 

On another note, I am happy with the NRAs response; now that they have finally come out with one.  I joined the NRA on the 15th (I know I should have joined long ago, although I do round up anytime I make a purchase on MidwayUSA), and am seriously thinking about joining the GOA.  I was getting worried about what their response would be with the wait, and with all the firearms companies/places selling firearms selling out on the 2A. 

What about those protesters?  The blood is on the hands of the NRA??  The blood is on the hands of the murderer, that's it.  Common sense/rationality has really gone away from these people.  That's another thing on my list of the anti-s arguments that really gets to me.  Actually it all bothers me. 

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 02:30:36 AM »
I like the way they have now framed the debate.  It's about school safety, not "Assault Rifles".

Indeed, this was very well done by the NRA.  Kudos to them.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Sincendiary

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 03:50:23 AM »
I was a little disappointed to see the Hollywood and video game bashing which is kind of picking a fight with groups with more money than I want to fight and I thought it was more of a distraction from the bulk of the message than a support.

Overall though, I thought Wayne presented the speech in a very classy way.  In the face of the shouting interuptors, offering a solution based approach rather than just picking apart the "solution" of the "assault" weapon ban as would be easy to do.

Happy with the NRA right now, I signed up 3 new NRA members since the speech  ;D

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 07:58:06 AM »
The money quote was "The only thing that will stop a bad man with a gun is a good man with a gun."

Very Cooper-esque.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Maverick

• NFOA Full Member
  • Maverick
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 11:17:43 AM »
Just renewed my membership in the NRA, and signed my son up as well.  Thanks to the idiots of the media and all the anti gunners as well for reminding me.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 03:25:59 PM »
I agree completely with the NRA position, and I hope the leadership continues its policy of not compromising with traitors.  I would add something though: the NRA should offer free firearm self defense training to teachers and school administrators, school nurses, and maybe even school custodians.  If you can drive a car safely you should be able to keep and bear arms safely.  Look at the heroic but futile actions of the teachers during the most recent murder spree and imagine if those brave teachers had been armed and trained by NRA instructors; do you think the outcome might have been different?  The insanity of schools being sanitized for mass murderers has to end. 

I mentioned in another post that NFOA should be offering free training to teachers.  If there is a shortage of NRA certified instructors willing to offer this service to our community for free maybe NRA and NFOA can set up some classes to get more people certified.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
If I hear "no one needs..." one more buggering time....
I hear you. My usual reply to this is, "You're right. I don't need that (whatever "that" is). In fact, I don't need most of what I have. I simply wanted it. Had I not wanted it, my life would have been much easier because there would have been no need for me to work hard enough to earn it." That tends to freak them out. Apparently, working to earn something is an alien concept.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 07:55:16 PM »
Very Cooper-esque.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Truth does not fade with time.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline stutzcattle

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 12:37:07 PM »
I hear you. My usual reply to this is, "You're right. I don't need that (whatever "that" is). In fact, I don't need most of what I have. I simply wanted it. Had I not wanted it, my life would have been much easier because there would have been no need for me to work hard enough to earn it." That tends to freak them out. Apparently, working to earn something is an alien concept.

Someone should remind them that I did not want Obamacare....And I don't "need" Obamacare.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 12:47:49 PM »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.