< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Which 22cal revolver to buy??  (Read 2014 times)

Offline rnx22

• NFOA Full Member
Which 22cal revolver to buy??
« on: December 23, 2012, 08:42:51 PM »
I just completed my ccw class with my new blue label glock 19 - wow! what a nice gun. Now I'm looking at getting a 22 cal revolver.

Any suggestions???  I don't really want to spend more than $300.00 - I'd like double action

I like the Heritage revolvers but I don't know much about them.

Offline D1sclaimer

• Forum Member
Re: Which 22cal revolver to buy??
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 11:26:28 PM »
I've heard a lot of good things about the Heritage 22LR revolvers saying they are well worth their low price.  They are single action so if you are set on a double action revolver, that's a no.  Heritage was recently purchased by Taurus. 

I've also heard good things about the Taurus 94 22LR revolvers.  They should be around your price range.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 06:34:42 AM »
Yes, My uncle bought a Taurus 94 for his first pistol, and I must say I am quite impressed with it. (of course I'm NOT a gun snob and DO believe Taurus can build perfectly fine firearms)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 04:24:14 PM »
Rossi has one, M98 hat looks decent.  ( like my 357 of theirs anyway).
If you decide on a semi auto, S&W model 22a is dependable, fun to shoot, in your price range,and has a lifetime guarantee.

Offline NebraskaGunner

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 11:37:23 PM »
+1 on the Heritage, I have one with the .22lr cylinder, and the .22 mag cylinder. I picked it up used for fairly cheap.  Never had an issue with it.  Fun to shoot when I'm looking to change things up. 

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 10:29:27 AM »
I have a Heritage.. its...   meh.  I had to stake the barrel nut because it kept loosening about every 20 or so shots. Haven't shot it in 10+ years. (Not getting rid of it though, never know when I may need to load up some 22 mag in in.)

Hit the gun shows and try to find an old H&R 922 or similar that has little wear.  They were inexpensive guns back in the day, but are better made than most .22's on the market today(including the Heritage).

Oh, they usually have a 9 shot cylinder too.   ;)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.