< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Finally wrapped up an AR "sort of" build.  (Read 1923 times)

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
Finally wrapped up an AR "sort of" build.
« on: December 29, 2012, 09:41:29 PM »
I say sort of build because I didn't mount the barrel. I started this last spring and just finished it last week. This would be the closest to a complete build I have ever done.

Anyway, it is a BCM mid-length with 14.5" lightweight  barrel.

Fixed DD 1.5 rear sight and a Aimpoint H-1. BCM medium charging handle and colt BCG.

Stag Lower and LPK, BCM six pos. receiver, carbine buffer and a colt super stock.

I have only had it to 50 yards to zero, no problem, I plan to take it out to 200 next week. This will have a 50y/200m zero, a first for me, I have been using 25/300 previously.  Happily surprised with the Stag LPK trigger, I wasn't sure what to expect. My experience with this platform has been exclusively ponies, most of them pretty well broke in.

I put this together as an HD rifle and to get some experience with a RDS.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 09:45:12 PM by camus »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Finally wrapped up an AR "sort of" build.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 10:02:27 PM »
Nice job, you certainly didn't skimp on anything.

I think the Stag trigger is the best available out of all the standard triggers.  Nowhere near as good as some of the upgrades available, but better than any other factory trigger I've tried.

Offline NebraskaGunner

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 01:25:32 AM »
Nice job, you certainly didn't skimp on anything.

+1

Nice little stick.

Offline cckyle

• NFOA Full Member
  • KD0MKS
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 02:09:24 AM »
Looks pretty sweet.  Glad you started your build when you did and were able to get it together!  When you say you didn't mount the barrel, do you mean you bought a complete upper, or you had someone else do it?  Is that flash hider a BCM?  It looks bigger on the barrel than the A2. 

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 06:32:04 PM »
I think the Stag trigger is the best available out of all the standard triggers.  Nowhere near as good as some of the upgrades available, but better than any other factory trigger I've tried.

When things settle down I would like to put together a rifle length system, then I might start looking at some of those trigger upgrades, I don't have much experience with them.  Really, I would just wanted something simple, consistent and reliable.

Looks pretty sweet.  Glad you started your build when you did and were able to get it together!  When you say you didn't mount the barrel, do you mean you bought a complete upper, or you had someone else do it?  Is that flash hider a BCM?  It looks bigger on the barrel than the A2. 

Yeah, it came barrel, receiver and the flash hider. The flash hider is a BCM, they call it a A2X. It is bit longer and pinned so as to remain non NFA.  My rationale at the time is I would be replacing it with a suppressor mount and would save a little in overall length. Not sure how great of a strategy that was.

And yes get the last few parts :cough: lower receiver :cough: was a bit of a scramble. I had been trying to get a BCM or DD BCG for months, the Colt was a spare for another carbine but now that I have used it, it will stay.

Offline ckspeed

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 07:29:21 PM »
Looks nice, congrats!

Any reason you used the carbine buffer on a mid?

Not sure if they're the same or not, was thinking about that regarding my build today. I ordered a 16" DD CHF barrel (bare  :'(, so I'll end up flat topping it), but the buffer tube I ordered from PSA doesn't say what weight or anything it's for.

Hmm, maybe I shoulda done the pinned 14.5 incher, I like the way yours turned out.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 07:45:07 PM »
Standard Carbine H buffer, extension and spring ... works fine for a midlength. Some use an H2, but I have never found it necessary
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 08:48:42 PM »
Standard Carbine H buffer, extension and spring ... works fine for a midlength. Some use an H2, but I have never found it necessary

Have you tried an H2? I have been tempted just to test the hype, but just can't stand buying more crap that sits in a parts box.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 09:01:11 PM »
All my middy's have been flawless with a standard H weight carbine buffer, so I have never had any reason to try one
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.