General Categories > Shooting Sports

Introduction to Steel Challenge

<< < (2/6) > >>

JTH:

--- Quote from: Neeco on December 31, 2012, 08:09:55 AM ---My Mosquito will work perfect for this if I can find 3 more mags for it.  And a belt/pouch to hold them all!  My wife is going to love me!  :laugh:

--- End quote ---

Most people just bring their mags up in a bag.  (Matter of fact, most people bring up their .22 pistol AND their mags in a bag---you don't need a holster for .22.)  So don't worry about mag/belt pouches, just get some more mags and come on out!

abbafandr:
Rimfire rifles?  Is this a new development?  What limitations?

skydve76:
Is it required to shoot 5 times per stage?  I think for center fire it should be reduced to 3 times per stage.  Given the current, and impending ammo shortages, and current prices that will continue to rise, someone shooting 9mm buying factory ammo is going to need 4 boxes costing nearly $80.

By reducing it to 3 shoots per stage you could in theory get away with 2 boxes, or slightly over, a huge savings.

I know rimfire helps reduce cost but I prefer to use what I carry to use this as practice.

Just a thought.

JTH:

--- Quote from: abbafandr on December 31, 2012, 10:27:53 AM ---Rimfire rifles?  Is this a new development?  What limitations?

--- End quote ---

Limitations are only what is stated in the rules---.22 LR, Open and Iron divisions.

We'd been thinking about adding them for a year or so, and the official SC rules allow them---so this year, we decided to go strictly by official SC rules for all divisions.  We are an official SC club, so if you have a Steel Challenge membership, make sure to let them know at registration so that your scores get linked to you properly at nationals headquarters.

JTH:

--- Quote from: skydve76 on December 31, 2012, 12:35:50 PM ---Is it required to shoot 5 times per stage?  I think for center fire it should be reduced to 3 times per stage.  Given the current, and impending ammo shortages, and current prices that will continue to rise, someone shooting 9mm buying factory ammo is going to need 4 boxes costing nearly $80.

By reducing it to 3 shoots per stage you could in theory get away with 2 boxes, or slightly over, a huge savings.

I know rimfire helps reduce cost but I prefer to use what I carry to use this as practice.

--- End quote ---

Isn't Winchester White Box (bulk) or Federal bulk ammo at Walmart about $24-$26 per box of 100?  Two boxes of that should work out just fine.  If you buy three, you still should have plenty left over to help practice for the next match.

We go by national Steel Challenge rules, as we are an official SC club---so, 5 strings of fire per stage.  If you want to shoot a smaller number of strings, you can---you'll just get the max time of 30 seconds per string for any that you decide not to shoot.  Remember that we throw out the slowest time, so if you want to only shoot four strings, the one that automatically gets thrown out will be the fifth string, and you'll get your score based on the four that you decided to shoot.

If you are just using this for practice, and not worrying about your place in the rankings, that would certainly work out just fine.

This is a national sport, and just like Silhouette Rifle (as an example) has a certain number of required shots at required targets, Steel Challenge is the same.    I don't see the national sport changing the required number of strings any time in the future.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version