< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: have to share...  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
have to share...
« on: April 17, 2009, 10:13:28 PM »
struck the deal today for this beauty...

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo270/Dark_Helmet1978/Hunt%20and%20Shoot/usp1.jpg

USP 45 Compact w/ a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2

it is actually meant as my dad's carry gun, but ooooh, so nice.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: have to share...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 07:15:11 AM »
Glad you like it..... me...... I find no beauty in them...... boxy, plastic pistols hold all the allure of a staplegun for me..... to each his own.  ..... Some people juggle geese......
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 07:16:31 AM by JimP »
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »
I find the HK pistols to be very attractive myself.  I've fired my friend's full size USP in .40 only once.  In that time, I found it to be very comfortable in the hand, but I couldn't figure out the best way to operate the mag release.  I have heard that some people use the index finger of their strong hand, but that didn't seem to work for me.

Anyone found out a good way to operate the release?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 12:23:34 PM »
I think most polymer guns are failry homely, but the HKs I think actually look like a gun, they have an element of design to them that the Glocks, SAs, and even the Sigs lack.  HKs also hold their value FAR better than other plastic guns... which makes their higher prices easier to deal with. 

I have an HK P2000SK for carry (as soon as I can get a class scheduled!) that I really like, and the mag-release on that is easy to operate (slightly smaller grip than a USP). I just "pinch down" with both my thumb and middle finger and it comes right out (ambi release).  my thumb is RIGHT THERE anyway and my middle finger is an easy reach without bringing my index finger down into/near the trigger guard.  the other way is to lay the pistol over in my hand and just use  my thumb to rock it down, but that requires you to "reset" your grip on the firearm, where my method doesn't alter the orientation of the backstrap to your palm.

the USPs can be tough to feel comfortable with if you have smaller hands and don't know how to execute a proper grip.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 12:24:21 PM by Dark Helmet »

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 03:24:55 PM »
Well...I'm pretty sure I have the right grip, just small hands.  Next time I get a chance to handle my friends USP, I will try the "thumb & middle finger" method that you suggest.  Do you know if the compact is any smaller in the grip?  I have a standing option to order a HK USP40 Compact with LEM trigger for $495 (including shipping and handling), but wasn't sure if I could adapt to the magazine release.

Regardless, you have one fine looking pistol there Dark Helmet.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 04:31:05 PM »
none of the USPs will have a smaller grip... you need to step into the "p-series" pistols which have only been out for a year or two...

for a CC weapon, either a P2000 or P2000SK (sub-kompact) is your best bet... they are designed with this purpose specifically in mind, and they have a choice of serveral backstrap pieces to custom-adjust the size of the grip.  I use the larger SK backstrap, and the medium P2000 backstrap, and I don't have big hands at all.

those are each available  in 9mm, 357sig, and 40S&W.

the P30 is more of a duty/combat pistol.  it has multiple backstrap pieces as well as sideplates for the grip and is just overall a meaner-looking piece.  it is a "full sized" pistol, and its sibling P30L is identical with just another half-inch of barrel and slide added on.  they are ONLY available in 9mm and have 15rnd magazines (the P2000s vary... my 9mm SK will hold 10).

I'm hoping to add a P30L to my collection, but will likely settle for a P30 and then buy an extra P30L barrel and have it threaded for a suppressor.

if you any other questions or want to try mine out, drop me a line!

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 11:20:40 AM »
FINALLY going to pick this thing up tomorrrow... woohoo!