< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: legal transport?  (Read 3136 times)

Offline badger

• Forum Member
legal transport?
« on: January 02, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
Hi,

I have a ccw from Wisconsin that Iowa reciprocates but Nebraska does not.  I want to stay legal during my visit to Omaha so what counts for legal transport\storage?  I would guess it needs to be unloaded so does dropping out the magazine count or does the mag also need to be empty?  What kind of case and where placed in the vehicle?

Many of the links from google pointing to the city of Omaha or Douglas County sheriff were broken.

Thanks for any help!
Badger

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: legal transport?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 09:22:29 PM »
Unloaded, out of reach, locked in a case in the trunk would be best.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 09:24:28 PM »
badger

Read about it and weep:

Omaha PD FAQ:   Who is required to register concealable firearms with the CIty of Omaha/Omaha Police Department?
Omaha Municipal Code 20-251 requires that all concealable [handguns] inside the city limits of Omaha be registered.  Regardless of where a person resides, concealable firearms inside the city of Omaha are required to be registered with the Omaha Police Department.

Persons whom [sic] are valid Nebraska CCW permit holders (or any other State which Nebraska has reciprocity with) are not required to register firearms and can be in possession of concealable firearms which are not registered.

=====================================================
The bad news is that if your end destination is Omaha, you cannot legally bring that handgun into the city limits of Omaha unless you immediately go to the Omaha Police Department station at 15th and Howard to register it.   There is no grace period.

If your end destination is not Omaha, but you are passing through to another end destination where the handgun is totally legal, then federal handgun transport law applies [18USC922a] and you would be covered by federal transportation rules.   You might get busted by OPD anyhow; they might still defy federal law by writing a summons and confiscating your handgun.   It happens.

Should you choose not to register the handgun as above, my recommendation would be to:

-Remove all ammunition from magazine and chamber
-Field strip the handgun
-Install cable locks through the barrel and magazine well
-Put those parts in a lockable case
-Lock the case
-Put the case in your trunk under the spare tire
-Give away the ammunition
[After all the above, the unregistered handgun is still illegal in Omaha; these steps will help your attorney help you in court.]

Further:
-Drive very carefully while you are in Omaha
-Do not mention anything at all about any handgun if you are stopped in Omaha.

Does all the above seem a bit ridiculous??   Yes.   But you are in Omaha, which has one of the strictest municipal handgun codes you'll find anywhere.

Welcome to the Big O.    We're actually Pretty Nice People.   [Except for a coupla draconian handgun laws.]

sfg
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:39:44 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 09:51:22 PM »
Here's What the Nebraska State Patrol has to say about Wisconsin CCW:

https://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/media/10073/ccwnebraskareciprocity.pdf

"The states of Illinois and Wisconsin do not allow the carrying of concealed handguns within their states."

Badger indicates that he has a Wisconsin CCW; however, the NE NSP website claims no such permit exists in Wisconsin.   Current info, as of 5 minutes ago.

Makes a serious person wonder just how much other officially-posted stuff is out there that really isn't so official.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline badger

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 01:00:47 AM »
Thanks for the help.  The Wisconsin ccw is relatively new having gone into effect late 2011.  No idea why we don't have reciprocity with Nebraska.   :(

Are there any issues carrying pepper spray in Omaha?  It sounds like I need to leave the handgun at home.

Offline badger

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 01:15:19 AM »
Actually it looks like Wisconsin recognizes the Nebraska permit, but Nebraska hasn't updated their information since 2009? 

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/reciprocity.asp

At least you guys can travel up our direction without any issues.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 01:32:20 AM »
Go to www.handgunlaw.us and use the build ccw map link. That site is typically spot-on for reciprocity info. It shows that Nebraska does not honor Wisconsin.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 08:17:17 AM »
Nebraska, like many states, goes through a review every couple of years to see which states meet or exceed our CCW requirements to develop a list of which states we will honor their permit.   The next review will possibly occur this year.  When that happens we may see Wisconsin added to the list.  If not, it will at least be updated to reflect that Wisconsin has a permit.  We will probably see Iowa removed from the list once that review happens.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 11:00:50 PM »
Nebraska has a pretty high standard to meet before they will recognize another States permit.

Not 100% sure, but I don't think Wisconsin's training requirements are enough to get the Nebraska Attorney General to accept them as equals
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 09:11:47 AM »
Badger thanks for pointing this out, I have sent notes to my contacts to see if we cannot get Wisconsin's laws reviewed and your permit recognized here in Nebraska.  No promises on how long or if it will happen, but the task of looking at the law is taking place.

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 09:37:46 AM »
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member