< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Record-shattering number of Utah concealed weapons permits issued  (Read 1311 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
http://www.sltrib.com/News/ci_12167687

There's been a record-breaking run on concealed weapons permits in the state in what gun store owners and activists say is fueled by political and economic uncertainty.

Utah issued 15,389 concealed weapons permits in the first three months of the year, shattering the previous record of 11,996, which was set in the second quarter of 2008.

Traditionally, slightly more permits have gone out of state than to Utah residents. But in the most recent quarter, permits going to Utahns edged out those going to non-residents, said Lt. Doug Anderson, Bureau of Criminal Identification manager.

Clark Aposhian, chairman of the Utah Shooting Sports Council, points to several reasons for the sharp increase, including fear that the plummeting economy could lead to an increase in home invasions and carjackings.

"People are unsure about what may happen to society should everything come crashing down," Aposhian said. "They may have to protect their family, home and food supply."

It's that fear, justified or not, that also may be causing runs on ammunition and guns.

The last quarter of 2008 showed a huge jump in gun sales, and while that dropped in the last three months, the overall upward trend appears to be continuing.

"People are choosing to go about it legally and getting the training to lawfully carry firearms for self defense," Aposhian said.

Gun dealers are scrambling to keep up with purchases.

"Supply is not necessarily meeting demand right now," said Oly Mann, general manager of Fuzzy Bunny Movie Guns. "There's still a big surge. Supply is down and it's getting worse."

Demand for all types of guns has increased, he said, and the concealed carry classes the store offers are consistently full. He says many people buying firearms are first-time gun owners.

"The general public is more concerned about safety issues nowadays," he said. "I even know people that swore up and down they would never buy or own one, and now they're buying guns."

Many friends and neighbors of Charles Hardy, policy director for Gun Owners of Utah, are doing the same.

The trend is unusual in that historically during economic downturns, people will pawn or sell some of their guns for some quick cash, Hardy said, but this trend is headed in the opposite direction.

He says many of the fears are fueled by a distrust of federal politicians. Despite recent public announcements from President Barack Obama and congressional leaders they won't pursue an assault weapons ban, people are distrustful of those promises, says Hardy.

He points to bills such as the federal HR45, sponsored by Rep. Bobby L. Rush, D-Ill., which would require all gun owners to have a license to own a gun. He says that while a bill similar to it has been proposed annually for the last 10 or 15 years, people worry about having a Democratic president and Democratically controlled houses.

"The bill continues to drive the concern that Washington, D.C., is full of people who don't like guns and don't like people having guns," Hardy said. "The perception is there."

If Utah issues over 15,000 permits in 3 months, with over half going to Utah residents, it makes me wonder why aren't Nebraskans getting permits at the same or similar rate?   ??? ???
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Record-shattering number of Utah concealed weapons permits issued
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 10:11:53 AM »
I hope that once the CCW law gets straightened out that permit numbers will increase. Home invasions are up, criminals are getting bolder, people will get tired of allowing themselves to be victims.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 08:55:11 AM »
I've said it before: Nebraskans are not pro-gun.  Nebraskans are pro-hunting.  The silliness with the local CCW ordinances reinforces that.  I've witnessed it myself.  "You're not a hunter, why do you own guns?  What do you need a handgun for?"

Also consider that the Omaha electoral district swung to the left this past November.  This could be an indication that there's a "guns are scary and bad" sentiment in the most populated region of the state.

I wonder - how do crime stats look for the state (per capita) if you exclude Lancaster, Douglas, and Sarpy counties?  Are rural Nebraskans insulated from crime compared to folks in Utah?  (Not that Utah strikes me as a crime-ridden state)

From what I understand (and this is conjecture), Mormons are very much into "being prepared", including self-defense.  That could explain their high rate of CCW too.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 09:52:51 PM »
From what I understand (and this is conjecture), Mormons are very much into "being prepared", including self-defense.  That could explain their high rate of CCW too.

Interesting thing though, the Church of Latter Day Saints is the only church listed on the Utah BCI website as being off limits for CCW

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 07:16:36 PM »
Nebraskans are living in a fantasy world, especially the idiots in Omaha. Since the Omaha economy is good, there are no worries.
I do think once LB430 passes we will see a surge, maybe not of the likes of Utah, but no doubt I think we will see a surge of some sort in demand for CHP permits in Nebraska.
I remember when the law was passed in 2006 legislators were expecting Nebraska to average at about 66,000 permits.
So, if LB430 passes and removes the option that cities think they have, we will see all the Columbus, Kearney, Hastings, Grand Island, Beatrice, O'Neil, Seward and so forth folks start applying for permits.
Both of my cousins took the class to get the CHP permit but only one then decided to apply for the permit at the patrol. The other cousin explained to me that he decided against the permit because of all the city restrictions, and the fact that the police know by looking up your drivers license that you are carrying. He was worried about the days when he wouldn't be carrying which might cause some confusion between him and the officer.

Offline wrenrj1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 08:00:36 PM »
I've said it before: Nebraskans are not pro-gun.  Nebraskans are pro-hunting.  The silliness with the local CCW ordinances reinforces that.  I've witnessed it myself.  "You're not a hunter, why do you own guns?  What do you need a handgun for?"

Also consider that the Omaha electoral district swung to the left this past November.  This could be an indication that there's a "guns are scary and bad" sentiment in the most populated region of the state.

I wonder - how do crime stats look for the state (per capita) if you exclude Lancaster, Douglas, and Sarpy counties?  Are rural Nebraskans insulated from crime compared to folks in Utah?  (Not that Utah strikes me as a crime-ridden state)

Respectfully, I'd disagree with you, and think a lot of NE residents would to.  I'm Pro-gun. I don't hunt (since I was a kid). I shoot for a hobby and practice personal/family protection.  You are right about the Mormons however.