< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Picked up my first AR today  (Read 2019 times)

Offline XDHusker

• NFOA Full Member
Picked up my first AR today
« on: January 07, 2013, 07:45:40 PM »
I wasn't planning to pick up my first AR until late this year, perhaps a Xmas present.  Then all heck broke loose and I figured I better get one now (just in case).  I did have to pay a panic tax, but I got in before it got really bad.  I paid about a $500 premium, but literally days after I got this one they shot up to $2k over MSRP on Gunbroker.

Nothing special about this one, it's all stock.  I did pick up a handful of Gen3 PMAGS to go with it.

USN 91-97, USS Chandler DDG-996

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Picked up my first AR today
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 07:55:45 PM »
Nice colt
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 08:30:44 PM »

Offline cckyle

• NFOA Full Member
  • KD0MKS
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 09:38:18 PM »
Very nice, glad you found one!  Your doing your part in keeping these weapons out of the hands of criminals....at least one anyways lol.  Happy shooting, did you get lucky and find some ammo for it too? 

Offline XDHusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 09:55:24 PM »
Very nice, glad you found one!  Your doing your part in keeping these weapons out of the hands of criminals....at least one anyways lol.  Happy shooting, did you get lucky and find some ammo for it too? 
[/quote

Not yet, I did backorder 1600 round from Cabellas, but I'm not sure if those will materialize any time soon.
I'm not too worried about ammo going away, so I'm not at a point to pay a premium for it.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 10:13:26 PM »
Scheels did have some in stock a few days ago, limit of 100 rounds though. Not too bad, even for scheels, $34/box of 50.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline XDHusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 10:36:13 PM »
Scheels did have some in stock a few days ago, limit of 100 rounds though. Not too bad, even for scheels, $34/box of 50.

I'll go check them out.  I do want to grab 100 rounds or so to do a quick break in.

Offline cckyle

• NFOA Full Member
  • KD0MKS
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 10:47:42 PM »
I can't find any .223 in Fremont.  Seems like it gets on the shelves at scheels and cabelas in omaha, but is off the shelves quickly (gone by the time I get there).  My friend was at cabelas on friday and said they had brass cased herters for $17/50 rounds.  So I'm not sure that cabelas and scheels is really jacking up prices on ammo too much, but I couldn't find any .223 when I went on saturday.

Offline cckyle

• NFOA Full Member
  • KD0MKS
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 10:55:42 PM »
I'll go check them out.  I do want to grab 100 rounds or so to do a quick break in.

When I was at cabelas in omaha on saturday, I asked an employee if they had any small rifle or pistol primers in stock.  They didn't, but he did say they get shipments in on tuesday so you may want to check there if you can tomorrow or call up there and see what they have in stock.  I agree, you have to at least get a couple of magazines through it to make sure it is functioning properly.