< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Police Stop Man For Carrying Gun Out In Open  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
Police Stop Man For Carrying Gun Out In Open
« on: April 22, 2009, 11:57:56 AM »
http://www.wisn.com/cnn-news/19235901/detail.html

"He said that means officers seeing anybody carrying a gun will put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide if the person has a right to carry it."

Because yeah, the police have the right to decide if you are worthy or not. 

Sadly, I have a feeling the attitude by the local PD around here would not have anything much different to say than this.  An interesting read, nonetheless.
N0ZXR

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Only Ones
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 03:14:05 PM »
One officer saw Krause's gun and asked what agency he's affiliated with.

"I'm the same guy I was when you arrested me the last time," Krause said.

The officers asked for his name and called dispatch.

"The reason I'm checking is because felons can't have guns in Wisconsin," West Allis police said.

So.... this cop thinks only cops and robbers can have guns?  That is the very definition of "Only Ones"......
"I'm totally opposed to it. I do not think we need more guns on the streets," state Rep. Leon Young said.

Young, a former Milwaukee police officer who represents part of Milwaukee's north side, said he's working on fast track legislation to clear up confusion with Wisconsin's gun law. "If you're walking down the street with a gun in your hand and people can see it or you've got one in your holster here and people can see it, it's going to create a disturbance," Young said.
....Another of those "Only Ones"....... so..... you don't like guns in holsters scaring the sheep?  How 'bout you "fast-track" a CCW bill?
"This is America. If we don't stand up for our rights, you know, what are we doing here? What have people fought and died for? Why'd we found this country?" Krause said.

Krause was not arrested, and he said the officers Tuesday night acted professionally, although he disputes whether they should have confronted him.

The officers said in a different situation they would likely still order someone carrying a gun to the ground until they could make sure the situation is safe.
So..... in Wisconsin, you have the Right to Keep, but not Bear, Arms?  Or do you have the Right to Bear Arms, just so long as you don't excercise that Right?
Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen said his memo was simply intended to "clarify" the law, and he does not believe more people will start openly carrying guns because of it.
..... apparently, the latter.........
Gov. Jim Doyle hopes it won't change how police officers respond when they see weapons.

"Our advice was people are permitted to openly carry firearms -- that it wasn't in and of itself disorderly conduct. We intentionally didn't go into any factual-based scenarios because they're all different," Van Hollen said.

"I assume that local DAs and local police departments are gonna continue to act as they already have," Doyle said.

Police Response

Milwaukee's police chief said he'll go on telling his officers to take down anyone with a firearm despite Van Hollen's finding that people can carry guns openly if they do it peacefully.

Chief Ed Flynn said officers can't assume people are carrying guns legally in a city that has seen nearly 200 homicides in the past two years.
...... so...... if you actually NEED a gun to defend yourself, because  the Only Ones certainly can't protect everybody...... you can't have one.
He said that means officers seeing anybody carrying a gun will put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide if the person has a right to carry it. >:( >:(
Flynn said it's irresponsible to send a message that if someone carries a weapon openly, no one can bother them.

..... irresponsible?!?!?!  So..... someone takes on the RESPONSIBILITY of providing for their own security, and now they are IRRESPONSIBLE?  ..... of course, you can make that judgement - you already made the judgement that since they are not one of the Only Ones, and they have a gun, they MUST be a Criminal, and treated as such .......

Milwaukee-area police chiefs have a monthly meeting on Wednesday, and they're expected to discuss this issue.

Shorewood Police Chief David Banaszynski is the leader of the state chief's association.

He said many departments are asking questions about how to deal with people openly carrying firearms.

He said it may end up being a community-by-community, case-by-case issue fraught with the potential for danger.

....Danger of what?  Your "Only Ones" status taking a hit?  Rashhes ofFreedom and Personal Responsibility breaking out all over???....

"Now, with open carry, which is legal, there may be no training. I could hand you my handgun, you could walk down the street carrying it with no training whatsoever.

....... why not?  You needed some kind of special training to walk with a gun on your hip?  I realize you work for a Gubmint Agency, and as such you assume everyone needs special instruction to do ANYTHING, including how to eat, sleep, and defecate....but seriously......... most everbody I know learned to walk without assistance by the time they were 2 years old, way before they were old enough to legally posess a firearm........

"To me, there is a lot more danger now with people thinking, 'I have the right to carry it so I'm going to carry it, and not have the training,'" Banaszynski said.

.....So if this idea or freedom is so appalling to you,  I suggest you work to create a CCW permit process: Then those that wish to provide their own means of security can do so, and they'll get the training you think they need: Everybody's Happy!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Police Stop Man For Carrying Gun Out In Open
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 08:02:55 PM »
So, What is the law regarding open carry in Nebraska and Omaha???
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 09:19:47 AM »
It is legal everywhere but omaha unless you have the gun registered and an omaha issued open carry permit.

Doesn't mean it won't get you put on the ground though. 

We should really organize some open carry events. maybe just dinner at area restaurants once a month or something.
N0ZXR

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 12:26:25 PM »
CCW is still prohibited in Nebraska City...... I OC there because it's the only option.   Maybe that'd be a good place to have this OC dinner...
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 07:48:12 PM »
Thanks.  Nmae the etime and place for a get together.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Dtrain323i

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 06:35:44 PM »
Well Nebraska is a big state. Maybe conduct Multiple OC events across the state. Do them all on the same night.

Offline Ryan

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 12:35:05 PM »
I would be game for an OC get together. I could probably grab a couple people to come with me, too.

A-FIXER

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 08:18:22 PM »
Intersting.... that would make for awareness of rights granted to the people of nebr... does anyone have any ideas and a  particular way to present during a showing of this nature.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 09:17:43 PM »
Intersting.... that would make for awareness of rights granted to the people of nebr... does anyone have any ideas and a  particular way to present during a showing of this nature.

One would not want to "present" :D ones firearm ..... just wear it.

When I OC in NE City, I am often asked why.  My stock answer is that I usually carry concealed, but NE City prohibits that- would they prefer that I left it in the car in plain sight so anyone capable of samshing a window could run off with it? 

(On a related note, those reading this that think such things don't happen in small towns are ill informed.  Yesterday, here  in the giant Metropolis of Murray, NE,  two vehicles at the elementary school were broken into, in the middle of the afternoon.  Broad flippin' daylight.)