< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: turkey hunting  (Read 2601 times)

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
turkey hunting
« on: April 24, 2009, 09:26:34 PM »
Hunting turkeys in the morning. CAN"T FREAKIN WAIT !!!!! ;D ;D
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: turkey hunting
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 09:27:57 PM »
Good luck,........ and I hope you don't run intoany bobcats........

http://www.nebraskafirepower.com/forum/index.php?topic=471.0
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 09:29:38 PM by JimP »
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 09:53:15 PM »
Good luck! I love turkey hunting with the kids, but stepson is in Kansas for JROTC and daughter is with her mom this weekend. It's not nearly as much fun for me without them, so I think the bride and I are going antiquing tomorrow.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 08:28:51 PM »
 I got into the perfect place this morning. Turkeys where gobblin hard and only 50 yards away on the roost. Unfortunatly they flew down away from me. Not a problem I'll just adapt and overcome. Sounds like a plan right? Ya know start stalking them a little bit. But for second time this week I had my hunt screwed up by coyotes.  2 of them today. Tuesday 3 of them ran the birds off as they were coming back to the roost. I'm done. Tommorow may just turn out to be a varmit hunt. AR15 or the 30-06 are cleaned up and ready. The land owner suspects that is what got their first born calf this year.
 I then went to another piece of land and had the the birds going again and again I got screwed. This time by trespassing mushroom hunters. I was pi@#ed.  >:(Let's just say they left pretty quick.  ;DWith no mushrooms. Besides I had already check the area out and they weren't popping up yet. The dumb ass even drove his company vehicle....So.....I just called the number on the side of the truck and explained the situation to the owner of the business. He thanked me and pretty much said this idiot may have just lost his job...(Apparently he wasn't supposed to drive that truck from Council Bluffs Iowa to Cass county Ne.) On top of that I got his name and passed it along to the landowners along with all the vehicle info. ;D There may have been a loud noise that made them leave really quick also. Some thing that goes boom. In a safe direction of course.
 But believe it or not it was still a blast.
 Jay, I agree with you. It is great when the kids go with. My daughter will be going with me in mid May as soon as her activities and finals are over for the year. I can't wait. She is a hell of a shot with the shotgun. How did the antiquing go?

I have no patience for people who trespass. Makes things hard on the rest of us.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 08:33:27 PM by huskergun »
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 08:40:48 PM »
That sucks, coyotes have really made a come back around here the last few years, and trespassers have always been a problem. I know I look real hard at anyone driving around here without 20 county plates.

Kim and I were pulling out of the driveway this morning and 3 nice sized turkeys popped up out of the brush in the ditch just up from the driveway and mosied out into the field next to the house. They've been making a habit of crossing the road in the same place lately. Both kids will be back here next weekend so maybe one of them can scrounge us up some dinner.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 09:27:11 PM »
To top off the trespasser story they were driving in the landowners field. They didn't have a key to gate. Some people have no respect for the property of others. Good luck getting that supper.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 04:09:44 PM by huskergun »
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 08:30:44 AM »
To top off the trespasser story they were driving in lanowners field. They didn't have a key to gate. Some people have no respect for the property of others. Good luck getting that supper.

I had some fools in a pickup chasing a coyote across my field this last winter.  I called the Sheriff, and they showed up about an hour later... after shift-change.    >:(
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 04:11:37 PM »
Go figure....Their only hours away in time of need. But we don't need our firearms do we. That's a whole nother story.
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 06:18:52 PM »
Shot my first bird today. Yeah.
Nothing special. It will taste real good though with my Moral Mushroom sauce poured over the top....YUMMMM
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson.

A-FIXER

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 06:44:10 PM »
My daughter and I went out today but seen about 30 along the roadway and most of the land posted no hunting so we went to the other places, and it started to drizzle prettygood and hard to keep the slate dry.....I got to get me a mouth one incase it rains next time .....good luck to all who also is going out....

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 06:55:31 PM »
Coyotes got my inlaws little house dog earlier in the year, FIL let the dog out to do her business and he being elderly forgot her, by then the coyotes got her. They found her in a field not too far from the house.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 06:56:11 PM »
 A-fixer. You still had fun with your daughter though. That's what counts. Me and my daughter are trying to find time to get her out.
 Mouth calls----- Stick with Primos. That's all I use. There are some slate calls I believe that are out there that are not affected by water.
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson.

A-FIXER

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 09:43:53 PM »
I'm going to get the primos mouth and yes had a great time with her, do you have a type or one you would get like the i'm not to famliar with'em but if memory serves me they were yelp. cluck  and other what would you go for...?

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 08:52:14 PM »
You can make a mouth call make almost any turkey sounds. Yelp, cluck, purr, etc.
I lost my best one today while I was out getting my 13 year old brother in law his first turkey, nice jake (strutted in from roughly 100 yards away with some hens, gobbled at my decoy and the boy shot it at 35 yards, what a rush that was).
I just started use this type this year so forgive but the name escapes me right now ( haven't had allot of sleep today). I'll get back with you.

Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 05:46:07 PM »
hey,

i wanna go turkey hunting this year and i need to get a lot of supplies (cammo, calls, decoys, etc).  what do you suggest?  ill be hunting in NE nebraska.

also, got any used turkey stuff for sale?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official