< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: "I suggest school districts develop a PTTAA..Parents/Teachers Armed Association"  (Read 2372 times)

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
I'm intrigued... and as a teacher/CHP holder/Instructor... totally willing to spend time training if that's what gets me the ability to carry at school.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think I should have to get any extra training.  I should be able to defend myself because it is my right.

http://www.policeone.com/active-shooter/articles/6072041-Newtown-shooting-In-Loco-Parentis-and-the-protection-of-our-children/
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

A-FIXER

Submit it to the State Legislators and once you done that post the reply and then the rest can copy it and reply to them as well.
Dan

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
While arming school staff that is is the only way this kind of thing can be dealt with effectively, I don't think the NSEA would stand for even the idea of it.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

A-FIXER

While arming school staff that is is the only way this kind of thing can be dealt with effectively, I don't think the NSEA would stand for even the idea of it.

But Jim if we don't try to inform these reps with common sense they will not get it on their own.

Offline sattv4u

• NFOA Full Member
reply withdrawn
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 01:01:17 PM by sattv4u »

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
Submit it to the State Legislators and once you done that post the reply and then the rest can copy it and reply to them as well.
Dan

I contacted Coash with something like this and he said the teachers' union (of which I'm a part) is opposed to it.  I told him that I'm a member and there had been no contact from the union leaders to the rest of us, and that he should take their response for what it is worth... an uniformed knee-jerk response.

Here is his response: " A properly trained person should be able to go just about anywhere with a gun, however here is the problem.  Educators, through their union, have rejected the idea entirely.  I do understand and agree with some of their reasons, but there ought to be some room for discussion.  This will be the session where we discuss these issues."
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 08:51:34 PM by HuskerXDM »

A-FIXER

have him put it on paper or website link if possible as we know words are just words until they are in print... maybe some official reply on that teachers union.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
You know, in Vermont, where I went to High School, we had a "School Resource Officer". 

If they can do it out there in a city of 35,000, why not everywhere else? Honestly, it's 1 additional LEO. That's enough of a deterrent for most idiots in the immediate vicinity to stop acting like well, idiots.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
You know, in Vermont, where I went to High School, we had a "School Resource Officer". 

If they can do it out there in a city of 35,000, why not everywhere else? Honestly, it's 1 additional LEO. That's enough of a deterrent for most idiots in the immediate vicinity to stop acting like well, idiots.

My issue with the SRO method is that everyone knows who is armed, and that guy/girl is the first target.  If a school system (like Utah) allows teachers to carry then nobody knows who/where the defense will come from. 

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
My issue with the SRO method is that everyone knows who is armed, and that guy/girl is the first target.  If a school system (like Utah) allows teachers to carry then nobody knows who/where the defense will come from. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for allowing teachers to carry. I was just making the point that usually a visual deterrent is enough for the hesitant. Kind of like locking your car door keeps the honest thief out.

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for allowing teachers to carry. I was just making the point that usually a visual deterrent is enough for the hesitant. Kind of like locking your car door keeps the honest thief out.

Point taken, and I don't disagree.  The biggest argument we'll hear against SROs in each school will be the price tag attached to it.  It's one thing to say that our kids deserve armed protection (which they do), it's another to cough up the money to do so once the price tag is announced.  Lincoln alone (public schools only) would have between 60 and 70 school sites.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
So...if we were to circulate a petition amongst the parents explaining the positives of the situation, and present said petition to the powers that be, would that generate an appropriate response?

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor

We are not worried about "honest thieves", but homicidal lunatics, who carefully plan out these things ...... SRO's in a fixed location will just be the first target ......

There was an SRO at the Millard South High School shooting, just two years ago .... and though the shooter did not stick around long, the shooter killed everybody he wanted to..... the SRO did not stop him (was elsewhere in the building when it happened), and the unarmed school security guard could not do so, either (got a description of suspect and vehichle, though).

I think if you want to deter these things, you need to have it known that there are guns there, just keep their location a mystery .....
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
The  first organization to oppose the  idea will be the NEA, if the schools teachers are members and have a bargaining unit.    The next in line  to fight the idea will be the Superintendent Association, then the ACLU.  If they can't talk the  idea down they'll sue on behalf of <entitlement group here>.

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
I'm a union member, but have been screwed enough times 'for the greater good' that I would get out if I could.  They *conveniently* only let you drop out once a year... in March. 

Anywho, I think this needs to be approached from a "I don't care what the union thinks" point of view.  I'm a union member and I've NEVER seen a survey asking what the voting membership thinks of having armed teachers in buildings.  If they're not asking me what I think, they don't speak for me.  And I told Senators Coash and Christensen that.

Offline xwing

• Forum Member
This general concept has been the only actually constructive idea for improving school security.  Yet most politicians spend their time trying to put more burdens on lawful gun owners instead of looking into it.