< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Peaceful march at the State Capital for 2nd Amendment  (Read 15924 times)

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Peaceful march at the State Capital for 2nd Amendment
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2013, 07:28:01 PM »
Does anyone local have any smaller Gadsden flags?

SuperSparky, Depending on where you are...  Canfield's, at 84th and Center - Omaha has a large selection of flags to select from. 

Canfield's Sporting Goods
8457 W. Center Road, Omaha, NE 68124
402-393-3363 or 800-333-2263
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 07:30:47 PM by UPCrawfish »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2013, 07:34:30 PM »
I think (not sure) that DE Guns in Lincoln has NFOA shirts.  You might want to call and ask them.

I will try to be there, but I may have a prior commitment.

Offline Supersparky

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2013, 07:48:01 PM »
SuperSparky, Depending on where you are...  Canfield's, at 84th and Center - Omaha has a large selection of flags to select from. 

I actually have seen them there, just forgot.  Thanks for the info, I will run down there tomorrow.

Offline sattv4u

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2013, 08:24:03 PM »
We are driving in from Columbus area...would love to pay cash for NFOA signs or? onsite otherwise I need to make 2A homemade signs 

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2013, 08:58:17 PM »
good ideas all and thank you for knowledge of open carry at rally.

It's important to note that we weren't just talking about open carry.  Concealed carry is also prohibited at a political rally.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline cckyle

• NFOA Full Member
  • KD0MKS
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2013, 12:55:17 AM »
No open carry at a political rally?  I have never heard of this.  I tried to look it up and can't find anything.  I know concealed carry is illegal but never heard open carry is.  Does anyone know where this is in the books? 

Anyways some friends and I will be there.  Thanks for the info GreyGeek

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2013, 08:32:36 AM »
No open carry at a political rally?  I have never heard of this.  I tried to look it up and can't find anything.  I know concealed carry is illegal but never heard open carry is.  Does anyone know where this is in the books? 

Anyways some friends and I will be there.  Thanks for the info GreyGeek

I too would be interested in seeing a citation for this claim. As far as I can tell, the only place that the phrase "political rally" appears in Nebraska law is in 69-2441, a concealed carry statute.

I can't find any relevant restriction/prohibition in Lincoln city ordinances either.

My understanding is that the Office of the Capitol Commission has a "no firearms except for LEOs" policy within the capitol building, but it is unclear whether this applies to locations on the capitol premises but outside the capitol building.

UPDATE: There doesn't seem to be anything about this in the Capitol Commission's regs either: http://www.sos.ne.gov/rules-and-regs/regsearch/Rules/Capitol_Commission/Title-6/Chapter-1.pdf
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 09:37:25 AM by CitizenClark »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2013, 09:34:05 AM »
if its not stated in law, you might be in a gray area.  play it safe.  the last thing we need is the media getting video/pictures of us getting tickets/arrested.  leave the guns in the car.

i will not be there.  i have to cover for a coworker who's mother in law died.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2013, 09:40:38 AM »
if its not stated in law, you might be in a gray area.  play it safe.  the last thing we need is the media getting video/pictures of us getting tickets/arrested.  leave the guns in the car.

I am waiting to hear back from the Capitol administrator on this question. I understand folks wanting to "play it safe," but if there is no prohibition, there is no prohibition. I want to know the answer, and I imagine others here do too.

This rally aside, a senator explicitly told me the other day that he would like for his aides to open carry inside the Capitol, so if nothing else I want to find out the answer in order to pass it along to that senator.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 09:44:17 AM by CitizenClark »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2013, 10:31:42 AM »
I personally think open carry at this rally would be detrimental to the cause.  I'm guessing the media would spin it as "Armed gunmen march on Capital.".   Yes, it's our right, but we want to present an image that won't be used against us.

Offline dougusafsp

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2013, 10:58:04 AM »
I agree. Play it safe and leave guns at home or in your car.
U.S. Air Force Security Police 1987-1994

Offline cckyle

• NFOA Full Member
  • KD0MKS
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2013, 12:57:40 PM »
I will not be carrying.  I am interested in knowing whether it is actually prohibited though. 

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »
I will not be carrying either, but I am currently waiting for  Lt. Caradori to return my phone call on the subject as he handles those issue at the state capitol. Personally our presence and our signs, flags & banners will say more than words or weapons ever could.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to a place to meet before hand? or just the steps on K st and Centennial mall at Noon

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2013, 02:09:30 PM »
Open carry is not addressed in Nebraska Law, but I do believe that the City of Lincoln has an ordinance that deals with this.  Also personally I would not recommend the carry of firearms at an event like this.  That is what they did in California and look now they have no way to carry for self defense (OK, there are concealed carry permits if you are politically connected).

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2013, 02:16:31 PM »
I personally think open carry at this rally would be detrimental to the cause.  I'm guessing the media would spin it as "Armed gunmen march on Capital.".   Yes, it's our right, but we want to present an image that won't be used against us.

For anyone who thinks that won't happen, search "Black Panther California Capitol" and see what you find.

Did pretty much the most hurt to gun rights in California that it possibly could.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2013, 02:32:53 PM »
For anyone who thinks that won't happen, search "Black Panther California Capitol" and see what you find.

Did pretty much the most hurt to gun rights in California that it possibly could.

And more recently look at their ban on the open carrying of unloaded firearms, this is a reation from open carry protests where people openly carried their unloaded firearms while protesting for better concealed carry laws.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2013, 02:34:11 PM »
Open carry is not addressed in Nebraska Law, but I do believe that the City of Lincoln has an ordinance that deals with this. 

I reviewed Lincoln ordinances today and did not find anything applicable to carrying at a political rally by a person who is not individually prohibited from possessing a firearm as a result of past convictions, etc. If you can find an ordinance that prohibits open carry at a political rally in Lincoln, I'm all ears.

Also personally I would not recommend the carry of firearms at an event like this.  That is what they did in California and look now they have no way to carry for self defense (OK, there are concealed carry permits if you are politically connected).

Thanks, Gov. Reagan!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:48:01 AM by CitizenClark »

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2013, 02:40:07 PM »
I will not be carrying either, but I am currently waiting for  Lt. Caradori to return my phone call on the subject as he handles those issue at the state capitol.

Sean enforces the law; he doesn't make it. (Cool comfort if you get arrested, of course...)

As far as I can tell, there is no federal or state law prohibiting open carry at the Capitol. There is no Lincoln ordinance prohibiting it. There is no Capitol Commission regulation that prohibits it.

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2013, 07:55:31 PM »
I spoke with Lt. Sean Caradori today, awesome talk and a really nice man, basically here is the jist, there is no law that prohibits open carry in the capitol or on the grounds, hes even had senators ask him and advised them they may open but also they will deal with their fellow senators, but we would be watched like a hawk and also he advised me if somone is open carrying and they step onto the sidewalk they are now on city property not state and may be cited for causing a disturbance by LPD. Obviously this is not the exposure we need. Considering there could be other pro-2a groups that do not share the same feelings as us and opposing groups it would make us look bad. GreyGeeks excellent post and Lt caradori's thoughts on it I would suggest we all agree to follow Grey's advise and even go as far as distance ourselves from individual that make us look bad, or ask them politely to put their weapon in there vehicle or keep away from our group.

On a side not I am not sure if anyone has thought about this but Lt. Caradori told me that we may get a facility use permit and then we will access to power and a podium if we would like to have a speaker (any ideas for speakers). I will make the calls tomorrow for the permit.

Friday night my wife and I are hoping to get to Omaha for Flags and possible stop by RLMoellers for T-shirts since no one else has offered I would be willing to buy some shirts at the sizes you need and bring them saturday.

here is Greys post again which I will be using as advice and suggest we all adopt the same attitude

Hitchcock45 gave the following suggestions, except the first ....

First, in Nebraska,  concealed or open carry is not permissible on the Capital grounds or at Political rallies.   Leave your weapons in your car. 

Second, if you bring signs then BE SURE you keep the statement short, clear, and concise.  Use BIG print to make it easy to read from a distance of at  least 50 ft, because not everyone will be 3 feet from your sign.  Put your sign  on a pole  that is tall enough to move the sign above the viewpoint of all behind you.   AND ABOVE ALL, DO NOT MISSPELL a word or use poor grammar  on your sign.  If you do then you WILL end up on TV looking like an ignorant fool, and that will be used by the media to smear all the rest in attendance.

Third, dress casual or business.   This isn't an "Occupy" event.  Come with a big plug of chewing tobacco in your mouth and spitting on the ground or  where ever and you'll end up on the news as an "example" of the rest of us.  The nearest PUBLIC restrooms with  any capacity will be a block North  of the North Side of the State Capital, at the State Office Building.  Enter on the East or West  side. The restrooms are located at the center of the hallway which connects the  East  and  West entrances.    If those on the first floor are full you can take an elevator or stairs to the floors above, which all have restrooms in the same relative locations.   There will be an empty stall or urinal in one of them.  There may be one in the basement as well, I don't remember though because if there is I never used  it.

Fourth, If you see someone trying to be part of the protest but they are dressed like rednecks and have crappy, poorly spelled signs then  ask them to leave or at  least  dispose of the sign.   They could be folks wanting to make the rally look bad, especially if they want to provoke an argument or even a fight with you.  They could be plants ... just like what occurred at some of the Conservative political  rallies.

Fifth,  DON'T LITER.   Take out what you brought in.  We aren't occupying anything.  We pay  the taxes that employ the public employees  who  clean  up behind events, but we  don't want to give anyone an excuse to compare  us to other protest  rallies.

Sixth, EXPECT counter protesters.   DON'T argue with them.  Don't even  talk to them.   Keep a good distance from them.  If they insist on standing in your face walk toward the center of the rally crowd.   Above all, stay out of their faces and let your signs do the talking, but DO NOT push  your signs into their faces.   You won't change their minds and they won't change yours.   Don't be verbally abusive or threatening to any of them, that's assault.  Don't touch any of them, that's battery.   Don't  even make silent "finger guns"or other intimidating actions.    Your actions will end up  on the news and make the rest of us look bad.   Also, don't let anyone sucker you into a  Liberal vs Conservative political argument.  This rally is about the UNALIENABLE Right we  have  under the 2nd Amendment to both protect ourselves from the criminal element and from a government gone rogue, and to protest attempts  to change or nullify the 2nd Amendment without the due process described in the Constitution.    The Constitution is NOT just "our little book".  It's the law of the land for everyone, and some people want to take it away from  you, one piece at  a time.

Seventh.  IF you own a video camera with  good quality and sound then bring it and be ready to film the interesting points of the rally, or any provocations, including actions of the police.   Smartphone videos are second best, but are usually too poor in quality.  Regardless, if you see something happening that should be recorded then record it with what ever you have.  YOUR vantage point may be the one that answers all the questions or refutes all  the wild claims or accusations.

Eighth and last ,  don't  walk around looking like a sheep heading for the slaughter.  Have a good time talking with fellow supporters of the Constitution when official speakers are not talking.

I am 71 years old.  In  my entire life, in my own country, I never thought I would EVER have to attend a  rally to  defend the Constitution of the United States of America.  This is  it, folks.  NO OTHER issue means as much as this one.   All of the Amendments to our Bill of Rights and our personal liberties have suffered SERIOUS erosion during the last 30 years.  If we lose this battle for the 2nd Amendment then what is left of the rest of the Bill of Rights and the  Constitution isn't worth the paper they are written on.   An armed person  is a citizen.  A disarmed person is a slave.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2013, 08:43:52 PM »
The Nebraska organizer of this event has stated on facebook that he has a state legislator speaking (Kinter?)

https://www.facebook.com/events/324055167698331/
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.