< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Former Omaha bank exec won't face gun charges  (Read 832 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Former Omaha bank exec won't face gun charges
« on: January 14, 2013, 11:49:44 AM »
http://journalstar.com/news/state-and-regional/nebraska/former-omaha-bank-exec-won-t-face-gun-charges/article_483aeb95-9f01-5f0f-b61b-002055562c93.html

---------

This was the Omaha State Bank President who brought a pistol in after hours.

He's not going to be charged.  What I don't get:

Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine said he won't file charges against Michael Dahir because the bank vice president who filed the complaint doesn't want to pursue the case.

Excuse me ?

If I had done it, I'd be facing legal hell due to simply breaking the law even if the person who felt threatened didn't file charges.

BULL****.

Related topics:

Bank President Busted for Having Handgun In Bank

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,6628.msg47164.html#msg47164

Edit: removed second forum post which was NOT in reference to this incident, oops.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 12:00:38 PM by unfy »
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Former Omaha bank exec won't face gun charges
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 11:53:13 AM »
Should be rotting in jail for assault, if what the alleged victim said was true.  But when you have big money you can make things like this just go away.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 12:07:09 PM »
It's a tough spot for the county attorney. In an assault case (not battery), the way the act made the victim feel and/or the way a reasonable person would feel in that situation, is a part of the crime. Once a victim even hints that they don't want to pursue charges, the defense can latch on to it to show reasonable doubt that the victim, or someone in the victim's shoes, would have felt threatened.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 12:58:49 PM »
It's a tough spot for the county attorney. In an assault case (not battery), the way the act made the victim feel and/or the way a reasonable person would feel in that situation, is a part of the crime. Once a victim even hints that they don't want to pursue charges, the defense can latch on to it to show reasonable doubt that the victim, or someone in the victim's shoes, would have felt threatened.

The 'assault' was NOT the point.  Try again :).
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 01:26:02 PM »
At a minimum he should be arrested for having a gun in a bank. Either that or the law needs to state that bank employees are allowed to be armed.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 01:41:48 PM »
At a minimum he should be arrested for having a gun in a bank. Either that or the law needs to state that bank employees are allowed to be armed.

Apparently, you aren't familiar with how the Dahir family is treated by the court system.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 02:44:32 PM »
Is there a blanket prohibition on guns in banks, or only on concealed guns? If it's not a blanket prohibition, the affirmative defense for carrying a concealed weapon applies. He also may have never had it concealed.

I don't think this guy did the right thing at all, but the county attorney doesn't have the easiest case in the world to prove.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 03:10:55 PM »
Apparently, you aren't familiar with how the Dahir family is treated by the court system.

Oh I am very aware - both Dad and kid SHOULD be sharing a cell at the Nebraska State Bed and Breakfast.