< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: TCCC Training After Action Report  (Read 1110 times)

Offline citizen

• NFOA Full Member
TCCC Training After Action Report
« on: January 16, 2013, 03:43:22 PM »
0800 Sat
Saturday we spent 8 hrs with Chris from Prepared Response and received a good day of training. Chris arrived early and began setting up. I could tell by the amount of gear he was bring in, that it was going to be a fun day. We spent the first couple of hours learning the history of Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC) and how history has developed improved emergency medical care. After the Special Operations invovlement in Mogadishu 1993, the establishment looked at some details to improve tactical causalty care in dynamic and emergency environments and the TCCC Think Tank was born. After a decade of fighting in The Sandbox, many soldiers and leaders are coming home and applying what they have learned to the civilian environment. Many EMS and fire departments are adopting many of these changes. 

Chris did a good job of applying tactical principles to the medical situation. Like the old saying, "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." This concept applies to the medical field as well. "When seconds count, the ambulance is only minutes away." I am the first responder and I am responsible for my safety, even if I am already injured. Also, in a world of Sheep, Sheepdogs and Wolves, there needs to be Vetrinarians. We went over the Three Goals of TCCC: 1. Treat Casualties 2. Prevent Additional Casualties 3. Complete the Mission. We also went over the Three Stages of TCCC: 1. Care Under Fire 2. Tactical Field Care 3. TACEVAC.

Then after a quick break we went into demonstrations and the historical development of different life saving tools like tourniquets, Quick Clot, Combat Bandages, nose hoses, chest seals and Extractor Devices. Chris inspected each of our own personal Aid Bags and told us what to add, what to improve and what to throw out. We learned the differences between the CAT Tourniquet, the SOF-T Tourniquet, the SWAT Touriquet and many others. How easy these tools are to utilize and how effective they can be. A good discussion developed in light of the Sandy Hook incident. A question was posed about the effetiveness of one of these tourniquets on a small child. Even though North American Rescue Group advises that these tourniquets are fine to use on a small child, the SWAT-T was my personal favorite for a child. I will be purchasing one for my kit. 

After a lunch break we met back at the classroom and began hands on training with all the tools on ourselves, on each other and on manequins. After this, we adjourned to another another empty classroom and began scenario training. Our group divided up into teams of four and we ran mutliple scenarios where our Tactical Thought Process and skill with our new equipment was tested. These scenarios involved role players and fake blood. Debreifs were conducted at the end of each one and I for one learned a great deal. I left this training with more tools in my tool box and greater confidence in my training.

I am truly thankful for the time spent with Chris and highly recommend anyone to take this training. This was relevent to the law enforcement officer, military soldier, security officer, CCW citizen or even the casual shooter. Check out their website: www.preparedresponse.com

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
Re: TCCC Training After Action Report
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 07:28:16 PM »
It was great training.  Thanks for setting it up! I needed to update my med bag but this made it clear how out dated a lot of my supplies are and how much combat medicine has changed since my time in the sandbox.  Thanks again.
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline asym

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 09:42:33 PM »
I would like to thank everyone that attended the course, you guys have a great team. 

I actually had to change the name of my website, it is asymresponse.com

I am originally from Omaha and live in Denver now.  I have been teaching TCCC courses for almost 5 years now. 

Thanks again for having me out for your class it was awesome!!

Chris

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 10:40:21 PM »
Thanks, Chris. We really enjoyed it! 
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan