< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Question on Shotgun Magazine rules for hunting  (Read 1832 times)

Offline jedibrain

• NFOA Full Member
Question on Shotgun Magazine rules for hunting
« on: January 17, 2013, 09:03:21 PM »
I have a Remington 870 shotgun, and I'd like to put a 2 or 3 rd extension on the magazine.  Mainly for fun at the range/clays and what not.  I assume that if I get or fabricate a new plug that is long enough to still only allow a total of 3rds in the gun (one in the pipe, two in the magazine), I'd still be legal for hunting.  Am I correct?

Thanks,
Brian

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Question on Shotgun Magazine rules for hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 10:47:25 PM »
Shotgun – Only 10 gauge or smaller may be used for all game birds.

For waterfowl and other migratory game birds, including doves, shotguns must be plugged to limit shell capacity to no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.

No plug is required for upland game birds. No plug or gauge restriction exists for cottontail rabbits and squirrels.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 07:32:21 AM »
Yep, as long as your plug is in for waterfowl/migratory, you're good to go. Like Dan said, no plug needed for upland game.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 10:25:20 AM »
I have a Remington 870 shotgun, and I'd like to put a 2 or 3 rd extension on the magazine.  Mainly for fun at the range/clays and what not.  I assume that if I get or fabricate a new plug that is long enough to still only allow a total of 3rds in the gun (one in the pipe, two in the magazine), I'd still be legal for hunting.  Am I correct?

Thanks,
Brian

You are correct.

I cut a piece of a plastic coat hanger to size and use that for a plug in my Mossberg 500.

Offline NebraskaGunner

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 01:52:38 PM »
You are correct.

I cut a piece of a plastic coat hanger to size and use that for a plug in my Mossberg 500.

I have a thousand dollar Benelli, with a wire coat hanger plug. Every time we go out my buddies never let me forget it's there. Should have never told them!