< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: My first AK build  (Read 4141 times)

Offline Wetzel402

• NFOA Full Member
Re: My first AK build
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 09:03:10 PM »
Sounds good.  When I finally get a parts kit I will probably have more questions  ;D

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 10:09:54 PM »
Back when, screw builds were a means of building with out having to press out the barrel pin and barrel from the front trunion in order to re-rivet it back into the new receiver. You then had to repress the barrel back into the trunion and reset the pin. A fair bit of work for sure.  I am a bit of a purist and wanted my guns to be as original as possible. I made a rivet tool out of a set of bolt cutters for the front trunion and a rivet press jig for the rear one. As I have access to a 50 ton press the barrel and barrel pin press out was not an issue. The pins can be a hard go depending on the kit used.
 If you get a kit with a cut barrel your going to have to press out the barrel stub and pin anyway and at that point would be able to do a rivet job. You will have to press the new barrel into the the trunion. Also you will have to set the headspace in the process of redrilling and pressing in the new barrel retaining pin.
 I cant give an opinion on the screw build method as I have never done one or even shot one. Either way seems to have its challenges. Thats what makes it worth the time and bucks to me. Lot of satisfaction in shooting something you put together yourself.  8)

Offline Wetzel402

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 10:25:17 PM »
I am definitely excited to try my hand at building my first parts kit rifle :)  I think I will shoot for screws at first just because I already an equipped for it.  I can always do rivets later if I decide to. 

Offline instag8tr

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 02:52:03 AM »
I am definitely excited to try my hand at building my first parts kit rifle :)  I think I will shoot for screws at first just because I already an equipped for it.  I can always do rivets later if I decide to. 
Not if the trunnion holes are enlarged from a screw build. And what maintenance do you think you need to do that disassembles the rifle that far? It is an AK, they are made to run even if never cleaned.

Offline Wetzel402

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 07:08:05 PM »
Not if the trunnion holes are enlarged from a screw build. And what maintenance do you think you need to do that disassembles the rifle that far? It is an AK, they are made to run even if never cleaned.

I read a few accounts of people changing out their screws for rivets.  Maybe they used over-sized ones?

I own an AK and know its durability.  I once ran over 3000 rounds through it without a cleaning.  I think lead lubricates AKs  :laugh:  I am thinking mainly for possible rear trunnion changes if I decide I want an under-folder later or a solid stock, etc. 

Offline instag8tr

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 04:26:14 AM »
The receivers are different for fixed stock and underfolder

Offline Wetzel402

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »

Is it the receiver or the rivet holes?  The info I found made it sound like the mounting points are different so drilling for an under folder would be different than drilling for a solid stock.  In either case changing rear trunnions sounds very difficult or impossible.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 12:55:07 AM »
You can use a receiver from either to go the other way. You will need to replace the rear trunnion and drill two holes. It's not the prettiest conversion but then again I've never heard anyone refer to an AK as pretty. There are plenty of youtube videos on how to do the conversion.

Offline instag8tr

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 02:36:39 AM »
Here you can see the difference. http://www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 06:55:22 AM »
I don't know Wet. Seems to me that you may want to go with the old school practice of starting out building with a complete Romy G kit and pre made NODAK NDS-1EZ rec. Its going to cost you some cash at present day prices but its the means to a successful build first time out. After your done you will have learned a lot and be ready to go for your next build with a far better idea of how you want to go. Just my opinion and not meant to tell you what to do. There is just so many ways to skin this cat and one needs to start somewhere to get a background to build on. Pun intended.  ;D
It can become very addictive. :laugh:

Offline instag8tr

• Forum Member
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 09:44:33 AM »
Nice rifles. I would like to have one of those folder's.
I don't know Wet. Seems to me that you may want to go with the old school practice of starting out building with a complete Romy G kit and pre made NODAK NDS-1EZ rec. Its going to cost you some cash at present day prices but its the means to a successful build first time out. After your done you will have learned a lot and be ready to go for your next build with a far better idea of how you want to go. Just my opinion and not meant to tell you what to do. There is just so many ways to skin this cat and one needs to start somewhere to get a background to build on. Pun intended.  ;D

Offline Wetzel402

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 02:16:42 PM »
Nice rifles. I would like to have one of those folder's.

I have to agree.  Nice rifles :)

I already ordered some 80% receivers so I am going to give that route a shot.  I do like the link though.  They offer a lot of options and also give some good links to parts kit suppliers.

I would ideally like to get a parts kit with front sight, sight block, gas block, and front trunnion installed so it would eliminate a lot of work and make my first build easier. 

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 06:36:25 PM »

I already ordered some 80% receivers so I am going to give that route a shot.  I do like the link though.  They offer a lot of options and also give some good links to parts kit suppliers.

I would ideally like to get a parts kit with front sight, sight block, gas block, and front trunnion installed so it would eliminate a lot of work and make my first build easier. 

With a little luck maybe the AWB won't go through and the kits with original barrels included will come down. Right now Romy G kits with factory barrels still included are going for between 3 and 5 hundred. I guess if you compare that to what ready built rifles are going for its about the same as back before the panic. Any way if you can pick one up the factory barrel would be a big leg up on the first build. You can follow the auctions on Gun Broker to see what kits are actually selling for to get an idea of what the market is doing on them. Asking price is one thing, sell price is something else. There are a lot of horded kits coming out of the closet right now.   

Offline Wetzel402

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 08:18:13 PM »
The kits on gunbroker that I watched so far have been going at inflated prices unfortunately.  Hopefully the prices will level off some after the awb fails to go through.

Offline instag8tr

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2013, 07:31:56 AM »
the lowest i have seen kits sell for is around $425 and that is not on gunbroker