< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: My first AK build  (Read 4140 times)

Offline Wetzel402

• NFOA Full Member
My first AK build
« on: January 20, 2013, 12:28:28 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am a new member here and moved about three years ago from ND.  I have been into guns for years and now want to try building my first AK in the near future. 

I am hoping that anyone here with experience can give me some advice.  :)

I would also like to eventually turn this thread into somewhat of a tutorial, adding pictures and information, and will reserve a few extra spaces for use.   8)

Offline Wetzel402

• NFOA Full Member
Re: My first AK build
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 12:28:46 AM »
reserved

Offline Wetzel402

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 12:29:16 AM »
reserved again  ;D

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 10:01:10 AM »
Well welcome and Gl on that I cant afford to build an AK or an AR at this time

Offline Wetzel402

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 10:37:28 AM »
Luckily I got a couple AK receivers so now I can wait for prices to stabilize before buying a parts kit.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 11:18:27 AM »
Do you have a barrel?  IIRC barrels are not allowed to be imported with parts kits anymore so they're a little hard to come by. 

I almost bought a complete PSL kit from Centerfire Systems a few years back when they were cheap(ish).  I really kick myself for not doing that.  I've come to the conclusion that with anything surplus or demilled you need to buy it while you can because either the supply will dry up or the price will skyrocket.

Offline instag8tr

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 02:02:23 PM »
Original barrel kits are pricey right now. There are always U.S. barrels

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 03:56:57 PM »
Wetzel402,
Welcome to the list!
There are several ways to go about building depending on the kit used, receiver(bend from a blank or 100% premade) and how you are going to assemble. There are the required US made parts for compliance and which ones you are going to use. You will also need a few either home fabracated or premade tools to demil the kit and assemble. Then there is how and what you plan on using to apply a new coating for the rifle and deal with the wood, if any. Pleny to look at before you start for sure. Its fun and rewarding to do but these days you won't save a lot of money doing it. A few years ago you could but not anymore. I would be gald to help out if possible, just depends on how you go about it and if I am familiar with what you are looking at doing. I have included a pic of my first build from several years back. It was an $89 Romy G kit from Centerfire Systems. Total finished cost was about $200 not counting the tools I fabed to do the job and many hours of fussing about. These days the kit alone with barrel runs close to $400 most times.

Offline instag8tr

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 07:31:43 PM »
Nice Rifle Goose. I have a couple of G's myself. I agree you are not saving much in building yourself. Now days building yourself is for the fun or hobby of it.

Offline Wetzel402

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 08:24:32 AM »
Do you have a barrel?

Not yet.  I plan to wait for the gun grab to die down and prices to stabilize before I buy any more parts.

There are several ways to go about building depending on the kit used, receiver(bend from a blank or 100% premade) and how you are going to assemble. There are the required US made parts for compliance and which ones you are going to use. You will also need a few either home fabracated or premade tools to demil the kit and assemble. Then there is how and what you plan on using to apply a new coating for the rifle and deal with the wood, if any. Pleny to look at before you start for sure. Its fun and rewarding to do but these days you won't save a lot of money doing it. A few years ago you could but not anymore. I would be gald to help out if possible, just depends on how you go about it and if I am familiar with what you are looking at doing. I have included a pic of my first build from several years back. It was an $89 Romy G kit from Centerfire Systems. Total finished cost was about $200 not counting the tools I fabed to do the job and many hours of fussing about. These days the kit alone with barrel runs close to $400 most times.

I also agree.  Very nice :) 

I am not very familiar with the AK variants such as a Romy G.  I currently own a Chinese Norinco and have had it for years but always wanted to try my hand at building a gun from a parts kit.  I ordered some receivers before any bans can be put in place so that way I can, in theory, still build.

After doing a bit of research I am hoping to get my hands on a barrel installed kit to make things easier.  Right now I am looking into strength characteristics of Cherry rivets.  I may give them a go over the traditional solid rivets.

Now days building yourself is for the fun or hobby of it.

Right now with talks of gun bans building is actually cheaper but once the dust settles I'm sure it will be close to the same price.  For me fun and challenge are definitely a big part of it. 

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.  I like this forum already :)

Offline instag8tr

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 08:30:21 AM »
It is not going to matter much about the dust settling. They are not importing anymore original barreled kits. So what is out there is it.

Offline Wetzel402

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 09:23:22 AM »
It is not going to matter much about the dust settling. They are not importing anymore original barreled kits. So what is out there is it.

From what I gathered though kits are still being imported minus the barrel and then people are adding US barrels to the kits.  Is that correct?

Offline instag8tr

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 11:00:24 AM »
Very few kits are showing up. And the kits that are tend to be not as nice as they use to. But like most things importing them is a long process.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 08:09:10 PM »
From what I gathered though kits are still being imported minus the barrel and then people are adding US barrels to the kits.  Is that correct?
Yes it is. But as instag8er says the kits are not what they used to be. The kits with cut barrels can be done with replacement US made units but these are only basically contoured and not drilled and indexed for the gas blocks, front sight blocks, etc that have to be fitted and pined. Doable but adds an extra level of work to the project. As a side note I have read that some of the replacement units are not crome plated as well.   

Offline Wetzel402

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 10:08:03 PM »
As a side note I have read that some of the replacement units are not crome plated as well.   

I have noticed that also.

Offline Wetzel402

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 08:19:10 PM »
What is everyone's opinions regarding a screw build?  I like the idea for maintenance reasons as well as easier tooling.

http://www.tapco.com/products/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=266

Offline instag8tr

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 11:12:34 PM »
Screw builds are a waste of time and ruins the kit. Besides making a **** rifle. Just send it off. And spend a few hundred bucks to have it built proper.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 11:34:21 PM »
Screw builds are a waste of time and ruins the kit. Besides making a **** rifle. Just send it off. And spend a few hundred bucks to have it built proper.
That's not exactly correct. It depends on how it is done, how well it is done and if nothing gets messed up along the way. I have a screw build Yugo underfolder that I would put up against any other AK out there for function and reliability. A properly riveted AK would be preferred but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a screw build done right.

Offline Wetzel402

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 11:34:41 AM »
That's not exactly correct. It depends on how it is done, how well it is done and if nothing gets messed up along the way. I have a screw build Yugo underfolder that I would put up against any other AK out there for function and reliability. A properly riveted AK would be preferred but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a screw build done right.

I have also gathered that a screw build is easier for a first time build which to me is a bonus.  I used to work in metal fabrication and am not worried about the durability.  A little thread locker can go a long way.  I am also liking the fact that it could be taken apart, if necessary, for modifications, maintenance, or to rivet it later.

From the research I have conducted thus far it appears that you drill and tap the trunnions.  Is that correct?

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 01:12:14 PM »
Correct, and that is the most critical step. Tapping them just right so the screw heads fit perfectly flush when tight is they key to a good screw build.