< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Anybody have heat treat capabilities? Kiln?  (Read 1182 times)

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
Anybody have heat treat capabilities? Kiln?
« on: January 20, 2013, 01:52:22 PM »
Need to heat treat some rifle receivers for home builds.  Like this;

There is a large machine shop in G.I. I've used in the past for other things but they have "that sign" on the front door..  ::)
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Anybody have heat treat capabilities? Kiln?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 08:49:35 AM »
If you don't find anything else, I have a small one I built. 230V. I ran it on a 30A circuit.

It has digital controls, but hasn't been used in a few years. Best to get some cones to verify the temp.

Let me know if you don't find anything better, and I'll dig it out of storage.
"Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty."--John Basil Barnhill

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 01:36:32 PM »
Hi, m0par.  All I have to do is bend the flats and weld in the rails.  I just wanted to put the feelers out there early.  Can I contact you in a few weeks when they are ready to HT?  Not sure what cones are but I have an IR thermometer I use to use for smelting lead that should work.
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 06:14:38 PM »
Cones=pyrometric cones. Used to verify kiln firings. You could also use something like Tempilaq/Tempilstiks. I may have packed something with it (either cones or tempilstiks) when I put it away. I don't recall. I just think something should be used on a test run first since it has sat for so long, just to verify that it's pyrometer is still accurate.

Does your IR thermometer do 1600F+?

PM me if you're wanting to use it, whenever the time comes.
"Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty."--John Basil Barnhill

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 07:12:45 PM »
This doesn't involve a flat shovel does it? :)

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 01:52:13 PM »
Cones=pyrometric cones. Used to verify kiln firings. You could also use something like Tempilaq/Tempilstiks. I may have packed something with it (either cones or tempilstiks) when I put it away. I don't recall. I just think something should be used on a test run first since it has sat for so long, just to verify that it's pyrometer is still accurate.

Does your IR thermometer do 1600F+?
I'll have to check.
PM me if you're wanting to use it, whenever the time comes.
Will do, tks for helping.  PM me any time.

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 02:05:53 PM »

You're not knocking shovel builds, are you?

That thing was awesome.

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 02:52:13 PM »
I saw that somewhere, quite clever.  I hope it never comes to that, lol but I'd do it.

We have a member @ my regular saloon building a .50 BMG AK.  The bolt is ginormous.