< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: DHS says AR15 is suitable for personal defense  (Read 1563 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: DHS says AR15 is suitable for personal defense
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 06:00:36 PM »
Some rally good points from the article

Why a semi-automatic rifle a good choice for home defense…

Here is a list of valid reasons, in no particular order.

1.  You can mount a light, red dot sight and/or a laser to the rifle to make it easy to used and aim during the day or night.

2. They have a reasonable recoil, making the gun - for many users – easier to shoot as compared to a defense-caliber shotgun or pistol.

3. They can be customized to “fit” a variety of body types and shooting styles. They can be configured and adjusted for different shooting distances (less than 5 yards to more than 200 yards).

4. The .223/5.56 self-defense round is appropriate for use within a home, even in an urban environment. Ballistic experts have found rounds from these calibers “dump energy” quickly and break apart or begin to tumble after penetrating the first barrier. Will rifle rounds go through walls? You bet. Will pistol calibers like 9mm, .40 and .45 go through walls? You bet. Will shotgun rounds go through walls? You bet. That said, there is significant evidence the .223/5.56 self-defense rounds penetrate no more than, and often less than traditional handgun calibers and many shotgun rounds.

5.  A rifle is much more capable of stopping a threat as compared to a pistol.

6. Semi-automatic rifles are more accurate than a pistol or shotgun.

7. Ammunition is (normally) readily available and (normally) priced within reason. Present time excluded.

8. You can buy high-capacity magazines for many semi-automatic rifles. In a self-defense situation, you want to avoid manipulating the weapon at all except for pulling the trigger straight back. Law enforcement and civilians do not favor high-capacity magazines so they can shoot more rounds, they favor them so they can manipulate their weapon less. If reloading is needed, it is possible but let’s be completely honest, in many self defense situations, ten rounds may not be enough.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 06:49:04 PM »
Good enough for the King's Men, but too lethal for us 'proles, I suppose?

The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 06:57:03 PM »
I explained #4 to a lady at the rally yesterday.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 07:02:17 PM »
I could see #4 being true if lightweight varmint bullets were used.  M855 might not be a good choice.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 07:08:43 PM »
True, 855 would not be a good choice. I believe I used the Frangible theory. Having seen one penetrate a 5/8 drywal only to POOF on the one directly behind it was an interesting demonstration.:)
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 07:19:52 PM »
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm

Seems xm193 will go right through the house, too ......

I'd get some V-Max or Ballistic Tip varmit ammo......

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 07:33:24 PM »

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 09:16:23 PM »
Thanks DHS, is water wet?  8)

Ending my sarcasm, as much as I loathe DHS, nice commentary.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 03:05:32 PM »
The  link in the OP now points to something else. 

But, here  is an order by the DHS for 7,000 "Personal Defense Weapons", a.k.a AR-15s,  for its agents.

https://www.fbo.gov/?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=d791b6aa0fd9d3d8833b2efa08300033&tab=core&_cview=0