< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: HELP GET MY WIFE ON BOARD!  (Read 3043 times)

Offline SHEP

• NFOA Full Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer
HELP GET MY WIFE ON BOARD!
« on: January 20, 2013, 08:23:01 PM »
First off, I want to say thanks to Dan W and A-FIXER for welcoming me to the Association. I have been around firearms basically all of my life. From a young bird hunter to an adult AR owner and GLOCK fanatic. But, What this is really about is my wife. Throughout a discussion on gun control today, (long story short) she said she didnt see the need for Hi-Cap magazines! I couldn't believe my ears. Now, I could ramble on for hours about my thoughts on government oppression and personal protection (as I'm sure we all could) but I wont. I'm hoping for suggestions on easing my wife into the mindset of defensive and personal protection. Especially getting her fully on board if SHTF on Capitol Hill. Any suggestions? Well, that's my first post, now comment!!!   

Disclamer- My wife is not anti-gun, in fact she is pro-gun. Shes just not interested in the "gun lifestyle".

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
Re: HELP GET MY WIFE ON BOARD!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 08:27:09 PM »
I've seen plenty of people who can eject a spent mag, and insert a fresh mag, before the spent mag hits the ground. Almost zero delay in firing...

Ask her about what she'd do if a group of dirt bags kicked in the front door and started closing in on her and her kids... would she enjoy the opportunity to have a 15+ round magazine in that situation?

A-FIXER

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 08:31:31 PM »
I live in G.I. and my wife is also a convert, she carries a G-17 W/crimsontrace just needs to pull the trigger. She has come into the light by watch the current events and stripping of freedom. I desire her to practice more with me but having a new grandson take alot of her time but, back to this point she understands the importance of protection of not just her but in the event her one and only grandson... and family has allowed her to to rethink firearms. If you are somewhat close and as the weather warms you're more than welcome to shoot with us.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 08:48:50 PM »
Truth is, when the adrenaline dump hits there is no way to assure accuracy and functionality of a firearm and it's operator. Mag changes can become difficult as manual dexterity is lost. Injuries and wounds may prevent any opportunity to effect a tactical mag change when it is needed.

It would be a real shame for a defender to die for lack of a single bullet at a critical time
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 08:51:16 PM »
Oh, and please drop the misnomer of "high capacity" magazines. 30 round magazines are standard capacity for an AR15
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 08:57:17 PM »
There is no magic number of rounds that will end the threat. 

Also the high capacity magazine term being thrown around is nothing more than semantics.  Since when did a 30 round AR-15 magazine become hi-cap?  Or a M&P 9mm with 17+1 rounds and G19 with 15+1 rounds.  Those are standard round magazines.  Now the 33 round Glock magazines, the 75 round drums, 100 round drums…those are what I would consider high capacity magazines. 

Offline SHEP

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 08:58:27 PM »
Im in La Vista (Omaha).  That might be a bit of distance. Im an ENGC Member and got to the range at least quarterly if not more frequently. I ask if she wants to go but shes not really interested. I'd hate to have something bad to happen to her for her to realize that we live in a cynical world and self preservation is rule #1. But, I know My mindset is different because I work within the justice system. Everyday I see the very same people im trying to protect us/her from. I just want her to feel the same way.

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 09:04:06 PM »
There is no magic number of rounds that will end the threat. 

Also the high capacity magazine term being thrown around is nothing more than semantics.  Since when did a 30 round AR-15 magazine become hi-cap?  Or a M&P 9mm with 17+1 rounds and G19 with 15+1 rounds.  Those are standard round magazines.  Now the 33 round Glock magazines, the 75 round drums, 100 round drums…those are what I would consider high capacity magazines. 
The Glock 33 rounder is standard for the G18 pistol.
KD0LKT

Offline rempe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 09:06:36 PM »
When I got married I was not "allowed" to have a gun in the house. Soon after I needed a gun safe then a bigger one...... now ten years later (yes 10) she is a member of the NFOA  and soon will be a member of the NRA. Now We are planning for her concealed carry classes. So don't give up hope. Oh and she thinks my ARs are sexy!
"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American peoples liberty teeth....The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference – they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” ? George Washington

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 09:15:03 PM »
I agree that mindset may be the most important factor is a self defense scenario. 

A person who is living in condition white, where the need to save your own life is never contemplated until is is too late,  is the exactly the type of victim preferred by criminals everywhere

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline SHEP

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 09:31:03 PM »
I'd hate to have to take it to "manipulation" because what if I create a monster? Wait a minute.......

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
The Glock 33 rounder is standard for the G18 pistol.
It is although the ones in production now come standard with 17 round magazines. http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2010/03/21/glock-18-yes-its-affordable-no-you-cant-personally-have-one/ The G18 is not what I am referring to BTW. 

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 10:40:40 PM »
Im in La Vista (Omaha).  That might be a bit of distance. Im an ENGC Member and got to the range at least quarterly if not more frequently. I ask if she wants to go but shes not really interested. I'd hate to have something bad to happen to her for her to realize that we live in a cynical world and self preservation is rule #1. But, I know My mindset is different because I work within the justice system. Everyday I see the very same people im trying to protect us/her from. I just want her to feel the same way.

What about an Indoor range not far from you ......

The Bullet Hole..... at 109 & Harrison St. La Vista, NE  ?

Disclamer- My wife is not anti-gun, in fact she is pro-gun. Shes just not interested in the "gun lifestyle".
Maybe if it's not "the Gun Lifestyle" but
Explained as more "the Protect her life and your Family's Lifestyle" she'd be more open to it

Then again maybe she just isn't in to "the Outdoor shooting range lifestyle".
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 10:51:28 PM »
The Bullet Hole..... at 109 & Harrison St. La Vista, NE  ?

I took a friend to the BH Friday, a little after 100P, to look at what they may have had in the way CC firearms. (not much) There was hardly room to walk around once you got through the front door.  All lanes were occupied and at least 10-12 folks milling around with their range bag waiting for their number to be called.  Unless I was there at a bad time, is the BH that busy now days? 

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 08:36:11 AM »
Shep, Send her and the girls to the Lincoln Women's Expo (yes sameless plug) and have them stop by the booth.   
Also as I stated on the other similar thread. have her check out Corneredcat.com or search out on facebook. There will be many links from there. Yo can also follow Jessie Duff,  Julie Golob (my fave) , Randy Rogers, and a great up and comer; Allie 'Allie-cat' Barret. These gals are all great ambassadors. I also have a few Blog-friends to that are great inspiration;  A Girl and Her Gun (also on Facebook) and the always well spoken and insightful Brigid at http://mausersandmuffins.blogspot.com/  (and many other members of the Gunblog Black List)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 09:41:17 AM »
make her watch videos, heres the most recent one in the media, she shot the intruder 5 times and he was still able to walk away. By the way it was a .38 revolver and she emptied the gun into his neck and face.

Offline Nebraska12

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 09:50:58 AM »
If she is pro-gun/2A, this should really be a discussion about laws and the legal firearms owner. IMO anyway. Making laws that pertain to magazine capacity and the type of firearms we are allowed to own only effect the average citizen. Criminals do not care. Explain the position this could put you in if you are ever in a situation to have to defend yourself or your family. You with limited mags, limited types of firearms vs the criminal with 30-40 round mags and an AR15.

I understand that the scenario is unlikely...but the possibility is there. Think of the gas station that was recently robbed with an AK-47 and, what looked like, a 30 rd magazine. Do you think he would hand it over in the event of an "assault" weapons ban?
'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'[/SIZE][/I]

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 10:53:01 AM »
There is a series of youtube videos about such things.  The crew reenacts real life self defense events with the actual victims.  Anyone remember the name of the group?
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 11:03:09 AM »

ditto.  my wife is not a fan of my addiction to NFA stuff.

back on topic, i have friends and family who think hi-cap mags are bad.  i just tell them, military and police use those same mags to keep themselves (and others) safe.  so why can't i have them?  am i (or you) not worth saving?  and besides, police do not have a duty to protect you.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 12:47:46 PM »
back on topic, i have friends and family who think hi-cap mags are bad.  i just tell them, military and police use those same mags to keep themselves (and others) safe.  so why can't i have them?  am i (or you) not worth saving?  and besides, police do not have a duty to protect you.

The thing is The Military and Police all have and use what they are calling "hi-cap mags" in their Weapons
But they are not Alone ....they also have Back up either on site or on the way ......

You must likely have none!
Your Totally alone.

All you have to count on is your Gun and what bullets it can hold!!!!!!

Does she want to trust that 1,2,7 or even 10 are enough when you need them Most?
What if 1 or 2 are dud's or just fail to fire. (and we know it happens from time to time)

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 12:53:44 PM by Phantom »
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"