< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: RE: Competion, is the DA/SA dead? Share your opinion.  (Read 1168 times)

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
RE: Competion, is the DA/SA dead? Share your opinion.
« on: January 22, 2013, 10:19:59 PM »
It seems that most people I see at matches (note: local) are using striker type or a derivative of such actions, or SA.

I have seen a few Beretta's and a few CZ's (which I am very curious about).

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:33:34 PM by camus »

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: RE: Competion, is the DA/SA dead? Share your opinion.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 10:44:07 PM »
The issue with DA/SA is the transition from heavy trigger to light trigger.

It's easier to deal with only a single trigger pull weight.

In a competition setting, this makes sense :)
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 11:14:16 PM »
I run a beretta 92fs at the USPSA matches. I believe it really comes down to how you train. During my first few matches, I kept clicking on the slide mounted decocker/safety. It didn't take long to stop doing it.

Practice, practice, practice.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 05:52:31 AM »
In USPSA competition, lots of people use DA/SA CZs.  Ben Stoeger won Nats two times with a Beretta (though we make fun of him for it).  And of course Eric Grauffel shoots a Tanfoglio.

It IS certainly true that locally, you see a lot of Glocks/XDs/M&Ps---because they do just fine, and are MUCH cheaper.  :)

A Matt Mink-smithed CZ can have a smooth 5-pound DA pull, and a 2-pound SA pull, which means its DA isn't any worse than a Glock, and its SA is just like a good 1911--but it costs. 
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 07:03:53 PM »
In USPSA competition, lots of people use DA/SA CZs.  Ben Stoeger won Nats two times with a Beretta (though we make fun of him for it).  And of course Eric Grauffel shoots a Tanfoglio.

It IS certainly true that locally, you see a lot of Glocks/XDs/M&Ps---because they do just fine, and are MUCH cheaper.  :)

A Matt Mink-smithed CZ can have a smooth 5-pound DA pull, and a 2-pound SA pull, which means its DA isn't any worse than a Glock, and its SA is just like a good 1911--but it costs. 

Do you see more DA/SA at matches beyond local?

I have seen a couple of CZ's, both gentlemen that had them shot them very well, one had come down from SD.

I have seen two HK's and only once saw another person with a Sig.

I think think the price point discussion has merit, but as I shoot more striker type handguns I can see another case being made.

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 10:06:18 PM »
In my very limited participation in the USPSA matches, I have been using a bone stock Sig P226 in 40SW. From the loaded / decocked start, the first DA trigger is pretty stiff. I understand that it is about 10 lbs. The SA trigger is about 4 lbs.

This firearm is much better than I will ever be as a competitor, so I will use it because it is what I own. I have no grandeur that I will ever win any match, but I can improve my skills with my firearm. Afterall, that it the real reason that people compete.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 10:25:12 PM »
I bought a CZ with the intent of using it to replace my M&P in 3 gun last year, but I didn't make it to any matches.  I hope to change that this year so I'll let you know :)

I don't notice a big disadvantage with DA on the first shot, but since I haven't used it under pressure I can't say for sure. I do notice I'm much more accurate with this particular gun, and accuracy = speed, even if speed =/= accuracy.

I have a very light DA trigger due to replacing the factory springs with a set from the CZ custom shop, but that mod also required me to add a longer firing pin and lighter firing pin return spring to ensure it would still ignite primers.  I really want to send the hammer off to Cajun Gun Works to get worked over, but I haven't gotten around to it.

If I had a ton of money I'd be running a CZ SP01 Phantom.  From what I understand that's the hot ticket in USPSA.

EDIT:   I have a Phantom.  I meant Shadow.  :P
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:37:09 PM by bkoenig »

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 05:52:30 AM »
Do you see more DA/SA at matches beyond local?

I have seen a couple of CZ's, both gentlemen that had them shot them very well, one had come down from SD.

I have seen two HK's and only once saw another person with a Sig.

I think think the price point discussion has merit, but as I shoot more striker type handguns I can see another case being made.

Most people don't shoot Sigs or HKs at higher levels in USPSA.  (Not unless they are sponsored by those companies.) 

CZs in particular, though---yes.  Many, many people shoot CZs at higher levels.

In 2011, 7 of the top 16 at Production Nationals shot a DA/SA gun, with 6 of those being a CZ.  (And one Beretta.)  In 2012, 9 of the top 16 shot a DA/SA gun, 6 of which were CZs, one Beretta, and 2 Tanfoglios. 

In 2012, the rest were:  one Glock, one XDM 5.25, 3 M&Ps, one Caracal, and one HK P30L.

In the past several years there has been a larger number of people switching over to custom CZs at higher levels.  Striker-fired guns still have a huge following, but people are seeing GMs win with DA/SA guns, and the trend gets followed. 

Now, as to whether or not that has anything to do with the GUN is a different question.  :)

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 06:36:17 PM »
Quote from: kozball

This firearm is much better than I will ever be as a competitor, so I will use it because it is what I own.

Well said, I feel the same.

In 2011, 7 of the top 16 at Production Nationals shot a DA/SA gun, with 6 of those being a CZ.  (And one Beretta.)  In 2012, 9 of the top 16 shot a DA/SA gun, 6 of which were CZs, one Beretta, and 2 Tanfoglios. 

Well I think we just ended this thread. :) I looked for that kind of info, for USPSA as well Bianchi or whatever, it was slow in the finding. My google fu may have been a bit weak.

Quote from: jthhapkido

In the past several years there has been a larger number of people switching over to custom CZs at higher levels.  Striker-fired guns still have a huge following, but people are seeing GMs win with DA/SA guns, and the trend gets followed. 

Now, as to whether or not that has anything to do with the GUN is a different question.  :)

I imagine gents at that level go for any edge they can get, whether actual or psychological. Anyway that all is far beyond me.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 08:36:07 PM »

I think it's just 'cause CZ's are so perty:

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 10:00:56 PM »
Ugh on the pretty guns,  while I can understand collectors et al, you might as well put a dress on  your hammer or nail gun.