< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Hastings NOT enforcing CCW law  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Glock 1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Hastings NOT enforcing CCW law
« on: May 05, 2009, 09:22:35 PM »
Spoke with an LEO on the Hastings Police Dept-he stated the City Attorney,City Administrator and C.O.P all agreed that the City code prohibiting concealed carry is not to be enforced and informed all officers that anyone with a CCW license is legal! HOWEVER...They are also waiting to see the out come of LB 430. If this is voted down, they're going to "re-enact" the city ordinance and make it illegal again!! What a great group of guys, HUH!! I carried in Hastings 2 weeks ago-stopped in to convenience store to get coffee. Nobody even knew!!! The C.O.P of Hastings is very anti-gun! Guess what he collects??? You'd never guess!!! Yep, Billy-clubs!!! Perhaps I could make a suggestion where he could keep those!!! Yep, you guessed it!! (I'll keep it clean)  Thanks Guys!
"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and never apologize for anything." - Harry Truman
Politics is made up of 2 words. 'Poli' meaning 'many' in Latin. 'tics' meaning 'bloodthirsty creatures'.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Hastings NOT enforcing CCW law
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 01:31:37 PM »
I'd still do my best to avoid Hastings until legal CCW is codified there or at the state level (LB 430).
NRA Life Member.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 01:37:55 PM »
AND....don't forget that Hastings has a different restriction on pocket knives than the rest of the State....3 inches max blade length
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Glock 1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 10:19:39 PM »
Just received word today from a LEO in Hastings. He said effective Monday June 1st, concealed carry in Hastings is now LEGAL!!! Great to hear!! Finally!!       Thanks! ;D
"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and never apologize for anything." - Harry Truman
Politics is made up of 2 words. 'Poli' meaning 'many' in Latin. 'tics' meaning 'bloodthirsty creatures'.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 09:24:10 AM »
Looks like it takes effect Jun 11th, not the 1st.

http://www.tribland.com/news0527gun.php

Council lifts city's gun ban
Shay Burk
sburk@hastingstribune.com
Starting June 11, concealed firearms will be allowed within Hastings city limits.
The change comes after the Hastings City Council voted 7-1 in favor of amending its city code Tuesday to allow for concealed firearms in the city, which aligns Hastings with the amended state?s concealed carry law.
In 2006, the Legislature passed the Concealed Handgun Permit Act, which allows concealed carry of firearms in Nebraska. Despite the law, communities across the state, including Hastings, left their own concealed carry bans on the books.
On May 13, the Legislature passed LB430, a bill that nullifies all city and village ordinances, permits and regulations regarding the ownership, possession and transportation of concealed handguns.
With that in mind, the City Council changed the city code Tuesday to comply with the state.
Councilwoman Kathy Peterson voted against the measure, stating she had serious concerns with allowing concealed firearms within the city.
?I do not think we?re making our citizens safer, and I think it?s ludicrous that you can?t carry a sling shot, but you can carry a concealed weapon,? she said.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 07:29:21 PM »
Can you really not carry a sling shot in Hastings?   PATHETIC......

I wanna move back to TX.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 09:36:24 PM »
And I think it's ludicrous that Kathy Peterson thinks she is keeping concealed weapons out of her town by having a city ordinance against them: Criminals, by definition, don't give 3 farts in a windstorm what laws are on the books.  They will carry if they want to.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.