< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Big Shots IDPA League Every Tuesday Night  (Read 2011 times)

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
Big Shots IDPA League Every Tuesday Night
« on: January 28, 2013, 07:23:24 AM »
I started this conversation on another string, but I wanted to differentiate from the USPSA league so that if anyone had any suggestions or complaints about one of us, it didn't taint us all.

Basically, we wanted to use this as a place for feedback from members who shoot in the league.  In case you didn't know, we meet at Big Shots every Tuesday night at 7 and shoot until we are done.  Everyone who works with this league is volunteering their time so please keep that in mind and thank them for their efforts to promote shooting sports.

We have already learned two things from this forum that we plan to adopt for this week.
1. Hold the briefing in the archery area or another area.  The range is too loud with the fans to communicate well.

2. Make a sign of the standing rules.  Much of this information is covered in the briefing and some of might seem basic, but clearly stated rules saves a lot of arguments and complaints (handling your ammo on a cold range etc...)

3. We may not have this one up and running this week, but we might want to copy the list of shooters so you can tell who is next.  We also might want to limit the number of shooters to 10 or 12 in the range at a time.  We don't have enough manpower to be a door bouncer too, so this might be self regulated. 

We are open to any suggestions.  I cannot say all suggestions will be adopted but we will appropriately consider them.  We started this in early January 2013, so we are learning as we go. Please feel free to go to the IDPA website for a copy of the rulebook in PDF form.  They are currently changing the rulebook and are waiting to mail out hard copies until after they change it.  This has left us some ambiguity on very minor details, but all decisions are left up to the Match Director (MD) and he has the final word.

If you want to come check out the league, please do so.  If you just want to come watch it is free to observe.  If you are a member of Big Shots, it will cost $5 to shoot and $10 if you are not a Big Shots member.

Please come join us.  It is a lot of fun and in the words of IDPA, it is "The real practical shooting sport."  It doesn't allow people to shoot competition guns or gear. It is not a competition of who can buy the nicest toys.  They want you to use your everyday carry gear. A vest or jacket is required to emphasize drawing from concealment.  I personally think this is the most "real world" of the shooting sports and I am thrilled to be part of bringing this sport to Lincoln and the surrounding areas.

Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Big Shots IDPA League Every Tuesday Night
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 11:33:05 AM »
I believe it was you gigabelly that I told I was interested in this league and I live just around the corner from Bigshots. So I can come and watch for free without being in the league? I dont have the money right now to invest in ammo and such things but being a new shooter this sounds like a blast.
Oh also I dont currently own any, do I need eye protection to watch? I do have some howard leight ear protection though.

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 11:55:12 AM »
I believe it was you gigabelly that I told I was interested in this league and I live just around the corner from Bigshots. So I can come and watch for free without being in the league? I dont have the money right now to invest in ammo and such things but being a new shooter this sounds like a blast.
Oh also I dont currently own any, do I need eye protection to watch? I do have some howard leight ear protection though.

I don't recall that conversation but that, by no means, means it didn't happen.  Eyes and ears are mandatory in the range. You can wear safety glasses or even prescription eye ware if it is shatter resistant.  Either way, come on out and watch.  We will take care of you for equipment.  I have extra stuff in my range bag, so just show up.  If you conceal carry, don't carry a loaded firearm into the range.  That's not my policy, but it is considered a "cold range"  the only one with a loaded firearm will be the current shooter.  You can carry into Bigshots, just not in the actual range.

I will be wearing a black 5.11 vest and black pants.  Short hair. Very short.  Probably a black hat will be covering what I have left.

Jason
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 07:56:34 AM »
Sorry I haven't been on here to talk about last week.  We had an unusual start time but still managed to get everyone through in a timely fashion.  We had some new shooters, too. While that is encouraging, we had a safety issue when one of them turned the muzzle in an unsafe direction.  I wasn't really sure if I should address it on this forum, but feel it merited attention.  The shooter was new and made a mistake, albeit an unsafe one.  He was disqualified.  What is troublesome, however, is how a couple of people reacted.  We saw it happen.  The muzzle never was pointed at the people behind the line.  It did sweep the SOs  and they immediately yelled at the guy.  We thought the incident was over, when Jim, the owner comes into the range a short time later telling us that two of our competitors raised a stink in the lobby saying they would never come back to Big Shots because we were unsafe.  They complained that the shooter swept the crowd several times.  That just did not happen, as far as I or any of the other Safety Officers saw.   I guess they  were expecting us to eject the shooter from the premises.  Maybe we should have, but it was a new shooter and we are a new league.  We may do that in the future.  The guy needs to review the big 4, for sure, and we want him to know we aren't playing around.  Hopefully  the seriousness of the infraction will sear into his mind the gravity of safety required when handling his new firearm.   This post really isn't meant to demean him or call him out.  We don't want to make him afraid to return to the range, rather feel comfortable returning to the range and learning from his mistake.

However, the individuals who put on the production in the lobby are the people I wish to discuss.  What they did is worse for our sport, and more specifically, our league, than the unsafe act itself. We all make mistakes and sometimes they are biggies.  The question is if we learn from them.  To go to the owner of the establishment and say that you will never return to his range because of someone new shooters mistake, is damning to us all.  If you  want to complain to someone in that situation, it would be the Match Director (MD) or one of the Safety Officers (SO).   If you really feel unsafe in returning to shoot with us, then we thank you for joining us, apologize for what occurred, and wish you well in your future endeavors.

We want everyone to be safe, but also to have fun and look forward to coming back.  We don't want anyone to leave upset, but if you are upset, please direct it to the correct person and not the facility owner. By being a drama queen t the owner, you  run a good risk of ending the league for all of us.

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 11:57:46 AM »
What is troublesome, however, is how a couple of people reacted.  We saw it happen.  The muzzle never was pointed at the people behind the line.  It did sweep the SOs  and they immediately yelled at the guy.

I was standing about 2 feet behind the gentleman when he swept the SO, and your story is absolutely correct.  The muzzle was never pointed at any of the other competitors, and while the act was definitely unsafe I completely agree that the reaction of some of the people present was not called for.  The SOs involved corrected it immediately and discussed the mistake with the competitor, which is where the incident should have ended.  However, I almost immediately overheard a couple people talking about how he should be ejected from the league, never to return. 

I really hope the gentleman returns to the league.  From when I've talked to him he seemed like a pretty good guy, just needs to remember to put the 4 rules above all else when under stress.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 12:04:21 PM by lneuke »

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 11:58:52 PM »
I guess they were expecting us to eject the shooter from the premises.  Maybe we should have, but it was a new shooter and we are a new league.  We may do that in the future.

I have only shot one of the IDPA leagues.  I have, however, shot several USPSA matches so I can speak from that perspective.  If you immediately eject a shooter from the range for a safety violation, you likely just ended their learning process, lost a future shooter, and possibly lost potential shooters who would have otherwise heard positive comments from the disqualified shooter.  I DQ'd at my first or second USPSA match.  I felt absolutely horrible, but because of the positive experience with everyone at the match, I learned a lesson and returned many more times to shoot.  My first feeling after being DQ'd was that I wanted to leave the range with my tail between my legs, but I stuck around and helped with the rest of the match.  This took the pressure off of me and allowed me to learn a little while I watched the other competitors.

Regarding those who think a shooter should be permanently DQ'd because of a safety violation...I guess you could go with the last man standing rule.  Because there are those who have been DQ'd, and those who will be.  I have seen guys who have been shooting the matches for years (and VERY good shooters to boot) that have been DQ'd.  So you can make that statement, but if you think you are so good that you will never will make an error, you think too much of yourself.  Eject a shooter permanently for a violation, and your league will suffer in many ways.

On the other hand, if you have someone who repeatedly has safety violations, then I guess you will have to approach that on an individual basis.

Other than that, I don't have an opinion.   ;D

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 08:32:37 AM »
Wow. What a difference a week can make.  This week was markedly different than the others.  It is clear that people's skills are improving and they're taking safety techniques much more seriously.  The only downside is that it is getting harder to compete against all these shooters who are getting better.  37 shooters.  We didn't have the time constraints of last week so it was calmer, lower stress, and more enjoyable course. 

We had seasoned shooters all the way to new shooters.  Most of our newer shooters were appropriately focusing on technique, procedures, and safety and not worrying about time.  That is PERFECT!  Speed will come.  Get your foundations first!  I couldn't be happier.  We didn't start this league to make fast shooters, we started this league to make safe ones. I am happy for the winners, but I am proudest of those who took their time.  Good job, brothers!  Practice your techniques through the week with dry fire or go back to the range, they would love the business.  We will see everyone next Tuesday.  If you haven't been out, come watch.  It is a fun way to improve your skills.  Also, you might see several other NFOA forum members.  I met two last night, Fly and Bob.  I cant remember Bob's moniker, but great to meet you both.  See ya next week.  Stay Safe!

Offline pdc6437

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 10:52:58 AM »
I attended for the first time 2/5.  VERY impressed with the format, the reception and the attending shooters!  It was a little crowded in the range area.  I will contribute by bringing a little less gear next time.  I look forward to attending every Tuesday.  See everyone tomorrow!

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 07:43:38 PM »
Well, last night (2/26/13) was a different night than the last few.  The last few seemed to fly by with few problems and really, this one had few problems as well, but it took a long time to cycle shooters through the course.  We had 43 shooters and the scores are up. 

We will have two more weeks and then we will be taking a month off.  Then, when we come back, we will be shooting every other week instead of every week.  Also, we will no longer be extending the grace period for rule violations.  We have been lenient since this is a new league and the response has been great!  We have seen amazing improvements in shooter safety and a major decrease in procedural errors as people get accustomed to the sport.  However, when we come back from our hiatus, we will be seeing more disqualifications for any safety violations and less warning for procedural errors.  The rules are listed at the IDPA website online, or a rule book can be downloaded and printed.  Also, if you join IDPA, you will get a member packet that includes a rulebook. 

It has been a privilege and a lot of fun seeing everyone make so much improvement, including the team that puts it on every week.  I have really enjoyed participating and working with each of you. 

Remember, two more weeks then we are taking a month off so be sure to come out.  Also, get your rule books and read it.  Ask questions if you don't understand something.  DM me on this forum if you like.  If I don't know the answer, I will learn it with you as we figure it out.  I have read that book many times and I can still miss stuff, so please ask any questions and I will reference the book again if I am not certain of the answer.   

See ya Tuesday,  Stay safe

Jason

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 04:06:24 PM »
Just as a reminder, we are taking a break for the next month as some of our team have travel obligations.  The next match is April 23rd.  See ya then.