< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Reloaded ammo  (Read 1258 times)

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
Reloaded ammo
« on: January 28, 2013, 07:45:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure it is not legal to sell reloaded ammo without an 06 or 07 FFL - is that correct? What if you were selling it as "for components" - is that too against the law? Would it be against the law to barter (trade) it for other non-cash things? Just wondering because I've got a pretty nice stash of quality .223 reloads but don't want to break the law. The last thing I want to do is end up in prison and lose my 2A rights.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: Reloaded ammo
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 08:47:05 PM »
I've got plenty of similar questions.  I need to read the Class 6 license to see what it covers.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 09:22:53 PM »
You're not a retailer or selling it as your primary living......why not?

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 10:19:08 PM »
I've got plenty of similar questions.  I need to read the Class 6 license to see what it covers.

If you find any good info could you pass it along? I can't find anything about bartering - which I might be willing to do with some of this if I'm not breaking the law. Almost everything I read about selling it is opinions not facts - some say it is OK if it is not a business, others say it is not legal unless you have an 06 or 07 FFL and some other kind of permit that costs like $2500.00. The little bit of factual info I have found is as clear as Missouri river water. Makes it sound as if you are not doing it as a business you MIGHT not be breaking laws. Very confusing and most likely not worth the trouble.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 10:06:24 AM »
From the BATFE website:

Q: Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?

Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 10:26:45 AM »
That sounds pretty clear to me - if you do it for money, you need an FFL.  That's always been my understanding also.  I occasionally will put some loads together for friends, but I don't charge for it, they just buy the components and I assemble them. 

I'm guessing selling off some old extra ammo would be ok, but bear in mind the liability aspect.  If your ammo causes a kaboom and someone is injured, and if an attorney can convince a jury you are at fault, you might be on the hook for a lot of money. 

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 11:07:19 AM »
Thanks for the info - that's pretty much what i figured. I guess even bartering I would be on the hook for any accidents. Those things considered I guess I'll just hang onto my ammo.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 12:24:31 PM »
For liability reasons, I wouldn't trade away any of my reloads. I'm confident they are safe and will let a close friend use them with me at the range, but someone I don't know will be looking for someone to blame if they have a kaboom because of a poorly maintained gun.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 09:06:05 PM »
Liability's a *****, yes.  Can't help you there.

Concerning Class 6 license, wikipedia mentions:

Type 6   Licensed manufacturer of ammunition and reloading components other than ammunition for destructive devices and armor piercing ammunition.
Must also register with the Department Of State under the ITAR Current registration costs start at $2,250 per year.[1]

..... uhhhhh..... so the FFL is $30 every 3 years, but the ITAR stuff is over $2k a year ???

This seems stupid.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 10:24:04 PM »
This seems stupid.
Well, we ARE talking about the government here ...