< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Got my first AR at the Lincoln show!  (Read 2778 times)

Offline RipTombstone

• NFOA Full Member
  • 44 spoke and sent lead and smoke and 17" of flame
    • Plum Creek Leatherworks
Got my first AR at the Lincoln show!
« on: January 28, 2013, 10:15:30 PM »
Ordered it from Run N Iron over a "pre-panic" supper one night. He put together one of his Run N Iron engraved and numbered lowers with a YHM flat top upper with foldable sights. Threw in a couple of Pmags with it too. Looks real nice with the green/khaki? colored furniture.

Problem is, I wont pay the price for the ammo right now, so its just a nice club. At least I have my AK still.

Now I need to learn a LOT about them. The only one I have even fired was a full auto SBR and that was no comparison.

RipT

SASS Life 51139
http://www.freewebs.com/daltonmasterson/plumcreekleatherworks.htm

Facebook me at Plum Creek Leatherworks

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Got my first AR at the Lincoln show!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 07:31:45 AM »
Good stuff boss. What do you want to know? A lot of members here are former military, or are VERY familiar with the platform, or both:)

Oh yeah, we need pictures.;D
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline RipTombstone

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 10:54:23 PM »
I will get some pics up one of these days. It does have a SOPMOD buttstock, anti roll pins, bad lever (not sure I will like that or not), and appears to be the 16" diamond free float barrel and upper.

I think I want an ambidextrous safety, as my wife is a lefty. Not sure I will leave the BAD on there, and will add some sort of optic, but it will probably be a cheaper red dot to co-witness the iron sights.

Are there any recommendations for this combination? I think it is a 1/9 twist barrel. Will that like heavier or lighter bullets?

Otherwise, I just need to source some ammo and go shoot it. I think I have the mechanics figured out on it now.

Any suggestions on a discreet case that doesn't scream "gun"?

Thanks,
RipT
SASS Life 51139

A-FIXER

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 11:17:14 PM »
Any suggestions on a discreet case that doesn't scream "gun"?

Why?

Offline RipTombstone

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 11:18:42 PM »
I live in a neighborhood of folks that might like to help themselves one day when I am gone.... Easier to not let them know what I have than advertise it.
SASS Life 51139

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 12:19:02 AM »
If you have a garage, close the door and load your vehicle.  If not, open carry while doing yard work.  :laugh:

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 08:37:43 AM »
Rip...

The BAD Levers are nice. They take a little getting used to, but having the controls down by the grip means you don't have to shift hands after changing mags. Not much use for the civilian aspect, but if you are thinking of 3-gun or some other competition shooting, they come in handy. ( no pun intended)

Ambi safeties are easy enough to source, if you plan on swapping it yourself, YouTube is actually your friend here, as there are several videos demonstrating how this is done.

As far as a cheap red-dot, I had a SightMark Reflex on my rifle, bought it for $50 at Scheels. As far as the twist rate is concerned, A good rule of thumb is that 1:9 will stabilize bullets in the 45 to 62 grain range. It's just a mater of what you want to do with it, and testing loads of all weights until you find the money shot, so to speak.

Regarding cases, a good buddy, also former military, used to walk around downtown with his rifle on his back. He used a soft guitar case bought at any local shop for around $20-$40. While I don't recommend walking the walking around downtown part, the guitar case is a novel idea.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline M7025-06

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 03:08:30 PM »
Are there any recommendations for this combination? I think it is a 1/9 twist barrel. Will that like heavier or lighter bullets?

My DPMS is a 1-9 and shoots 65 gr Sierra Gamekings & 68 gr HP's pretty well.  I haven't shot anything lighter than that.  A 1-9 should shoot 55 gr's too but I haven't tried them myself.

Congrats on the AR.  Lonnie does good work plus he's from my hometown.  He let me & my Dad come out a few years ago and shoot his 50 cal...good time.

NRA Member

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 03:46:21 PM »
I think I want an ambidextrous safety, as my wife is a lefty.
I ended up building my wife a lefty AR using a Stag 16" lefty upper, and adding an ambi safety to the lower. One trip to the range in summer when she is wearing a lower cut shirt and a case that lands where it really shouldn't have and she will likely not be very pleased - this I know! Aside from that bit of unpleasantness she also didn't like the brass flying past her face as the AR she was shooting generally ejects in the 4:00 to 5:00 position.

Make sure she is wearing clothes that will deflect ejected brass and very good eye protection as a lefty has a much higher chance of eye injury from brass ejecting from a righty AR.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 03:51:37 PM by 00BUCK »

Offline RipTombstone

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 05:26:33 PM »
Thanks guys.
The tough part will be getting my wife to shoot it. She isn't fond of the black guns too much, but can shoot her lever guns all day long. We don't shoot anything without proper safety gear anyway, so we should be alright in that aspect.

M7025-06,
You are correct that Lonnie does good work. I have yet to get the bill though.... :-X

I think I have a solution to the case thing. I have a large 31 bag (guys with wives will know what this is), and I think I can put a case into it, and carry both my AK and AR easily. I know they both fit, as thats how I got them home from Lincoln. Just a matter of reconfiguring the bag I think.

Thanks again,
RipT
SASS Life 51139

Offline sattv4u

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 06:14:02 PM »
I live in a neighborhood of folks that might like to help themselves one day when I am gone.... Easier to not let them know what I have than advertise it.

GUN SAFE !!!

Offline RipTombstone

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 07:13:43 PM »
Yes, but its still better to not give them a reason to come in at all. There are other things in the house of value that don't necessarily fit in a safe.
RipT
SASS Life 51139

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 12:10:46 PM »
  You'd have to build one that top ejects, so the missus can catch the brass in her fancy brass catchin hat!  ;) 
RIP.  I am literally ROFL here thinking about her shootin' one of them danged new fangled contraptions.!!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline RipTombstone

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 01:25:01 PM »
She laughed when I read her that. Nice thing is, she did find me some ammo at Walmart this morning at $8.xx per box of 20.  ;D
SASS Life 51139

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 03:06:51 PM »
Whatta gal!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 04:16:35 PM »
Yes, but its still better to not give them a reason to come in at all. There are other things in the house of value that don't necessarily fit in a safe.
RipT
I read a thing a while back where a guy had a similar situation and until he could afford a safe he just used 10" (I think) PVC pipe with caps and some desiccant packs. He'd put them in his attic under the assumption that burglars wouldn't bother with trying to get up there (just the hole in the ceiling type entry). Don't know if that would work for you or not.

Offline RipTombstone

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 06:34:35 PM »
Its a good thought for hiding things, thats for sure. I should look into that for some of my treasures...

My issue is just taking them from the front door to the truck. I have several gun safes in the house.
SASS Life 51139