< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Try then buy??  (Read 2594 times)

Offline duramax

• NFOA Full Member
Try then buy??
« on: January 29, 2013, 11:14:58 AM »
Does anyone know if there are places, anywhere here in Nebraska, that we can shoot a few differant hand guns? Then buy what we like .I'm not talking window shopping either. I want to see what fits my wife, then buy one. Probably buy two. Thanks in advance.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Try then buy??
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 11:23:34 AM »
The bullet hole rents a wide variety of handguns you can try

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 11:24:35 AM »
The Bullet Hole in Omaha.....

From their website...

Store Hours and Our Rates
The Bullet Hole is located on the South side of Harrison St. between 109th and 110th Street and is open 7 days a week from 10:00 to 6:00, Tuesday and Thursday we are open until 8:00.
 Range Fee- $8.00 per person, per half hour.
 Targets vary from $0.25 to $2.00 per target.
 Group Rates- Available for Law Enforcement, Private Security, or Corporate  Groups - Call for pricing 402-596-0367
 Handguns- $10.00 per rental, plus ammunition
 Rifles- $12.00 per rental, plus ammunition
 Submachine Guns- Full Auto! - $30.00 per rental, plus ammunition

We can supply you with eye and ear protection, available for $1.00 per item.

Memberships are available for one year and include the following benefits: 50% off range time and gun rental (non full-auto), 10% off ammo, targets, and most in store merchandise and 5% off new or used firearms in stock! WOW!
 Individual Membership price $100.00
 Family Membership (living at the same address and share the same last name) $150.00
 Active duty Military and Law Enforcement with proper I.D. $50.00
 Retired Military and Law Enforcement $75.00

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 11:45:49 AM »
Were do you live?
Bigshots indoor range in Lincoln just opened a couple months ago, there only the 2nd range here in Lincoln. I found out about them since I had to fix their cable issues they were having with our time warner service. the owner and his wife were very nice and me and my wife were able to rent/shoot one out of the two handguns we bought. Heres a link to there website and they have a list of available rentals. http://www.bigshotsrange.com/range-info.html

Offline duramax

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 07:18:45 PM »
We live by North Platte. I'm willing to travel, because I need something the wife will enjoy shooting. And can conceal carry down the road. I have three pistols now, two which are bigger than cc and a smaller 22. She wants one that is small enough but not a bunch of recoil. I don't want to just go by whats comfortable in the hand, then kick like a mule. Thanks

Offline duramax

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 07:23:05 PM »
Oh and thanks for the replies  :D Also she teaches, this is her idea and we need teachers on our side also. She's sure the last school shooting could have been avoided if someone would have had a ccw. ;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 07:31:49 PM by duramax »

A-FIXER

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
make sure you fire the loads you will use in the pistol... as more recoil= heavier personal protection rnds and = for some +p's

Also don't forget about adrenaline you if you pull it won't feel the recoil or even the trigger pull
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 07:27:15 PM by A-FIXER »

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 11:24:03 PM »
Oh and thanks for the replies  :D Also she teaches, this is her idea and we need teachers on our side also. She's sure the last school shooting could have been avoided if someone would have had a ccw. ;D

Glad to see sensible teachers, give her a high five for me. I got my wife on board also, she purchased a shield 40 cal. ( I gotta admit its an awesome CCW!); wish it came with a 3rd mag though. I got the m&p 9.

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 12:16:24 AM »
Another vote for BigShots.

I took my wife there in our search for a handgun for her.  She and I were able to try out the exact model of gun that I eventually bought for myself, as well as one that she had eyed, and subsequently crossed off the list.

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 05:22:42 AM »
i do not see any Glock listed on bigshots page  :(

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 11:17:19 AM »
Handguns- $10.00 per rental, plus ammunition
 Rifles- $12.00 per rental, plus ammunition
Note that TBH requires you to fire THEIR ammo - be prepared to pay a pretty hefty premium - that's where they make the most profit.

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 12:00:29 PM »
Note that TBH requires you to fire THEIR ammo - be prepared to pay a pretty hefty premium - that's where they make the most profit.

AND, as far as I have dealt with them, even after you 'rent' their firearm - 'buy' their ammo at their price, shoot on their range...  they do  not seem to be interested in making any 'deals' on a firearm they may have in stock you are interested in buying. ::) 

Maybe when they are not the only game in town, they might loosen up a bit.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 03:42:52 PM »

We do require you to use our ammo in our guns. Its basic liability protection. Any range that rents guns for use on their range and allows customers to bring in their own ammo is taking a chance. There is no way to know what someone will bring in. Even if it is in a factory box. The exception is .22LR ammo. You can bring your own .22LR to use in our rental .22s.

As always, if you can find a better deal on a gun we will try to match it. Though sometimes its simply not possible.

As far as ammo prices, the mark up is about the same wherever you go. We cant buy semi truck loads at a time so we will pay more than some other stores.

There certainly are stores who are gouging their customers to make a quick buck while demand is high and supply short. We don't do business that way. Ammo prices are up, not our fault. And their not likely to come back down much. The manufacturers have seen what people are willing to pay.

- Shawn

"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 08:30:34 PM »
We live by North Platte. I'm willing to travel, because I need something the wife will enjoy shooting. And can conceal carry down the road. I have three pistols now, two which are bigger than cc and a smaller 22. She wants one that is small enough but not a bunch of recoil. I don't want to just go by whats comfortable in the hand, then kick like a mule. Thanks

Plan a trip to come into Lincoln and go to BigShots....it is a nice, clean, new facility.  They have a fair selection of rentals to choose from....check out their website & inventory of rentals or call & talk to them....very nice folks.  http://www.bigshotsrange.com/    Then you can take the wife out for dinner down in the Hay Market area. 
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline johnnyblack

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 08:49:36 PM »
I have no better information for your request than the rest, but I would like to add that, if you or your wife have not tried one already, give the walther pps in 9mm a go...I feel it is the smallest auto in 9mm that has manageable (in my opinion, downright comfortable) recoil; it is an enjoyable shooter that has good accuracy without having to adapt to the gun; in my opinion a great trigger; it's concealable easily; and it has adjustable back straps from the factory to suit different size hands....I love mine, if you can't tell...I think you would both like it, assuming you would want a 9mm...it will handl +p but the manual says it will wear the gun faster...I don't use +p myself so of cannot comment to that end

Offline duramax

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 09:45:20 PM »
Plan a trip to come into Lincoln and go to BigShots....it is a nice, clean, new facility.  They have a fair selection of rentals to choose from....check out their website & inventory of rentals or call & talk to them....very nice folks.  http://www.bigshotsrange.com/    Then you can take the wife out for dinner down in the Hay Market area. 
And thats why I said, in Nebraska. Not afraid to travel, we can make a weekend out of it. " Haymarket" been to Lazlos, don't know what I ate, but had a dark beer tasted a little like a tootsie roll, man I can taste it now, mmmm. Read some reviews on that Walther, looks nice.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 12:04:53 AM »
Shawn - last time I was there (it was a long time ago) I needed to test a mod I did to one of my AR's and it was a downpour so I didn't feel like going to the range. Ran out to TBH and figured I'd just grab a box of lead tipped .223. IIRC it was like $9 a box when the same load was going for $3.99 at Cabelas and Scheels. That's my reference point. Not trying to keep people away just wanting them to be aware that they will (in my case anyway) likely pay double or more for ammo. I get what you are saying about liability though, makes a lot of sense.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:13:45 AM by 00BUCK »

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 08:10:50 AM »
You sure it wasnt a 50rd box you bought at the bullet hole? When I bought ammo the there years back, it was within $1-2 of cabelas.

Offline birddogne

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 04:20:08 PM »
I'm in North Platte, give me a PM and maybe we can meet at the Range here so you don't have to travel.  I don't have a lot of different pistols but I do have a three different calibers.  You and your wife can at least shoot them to see how the different calibers fill then shop for a gun in that caliber that fits you good.