< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: States' Gun Rights  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Josh1776

• NFOA Full Member
States' Gun Rights
« on: May 08, 2009, 12:19:49 AM »
On 4/15/09 Montana Democrat Governor, Brian Schweitzer, singed into law HB 246, the Montana Firearms Freedom Act. HB 246 delclares that all guns and ammo that are manufactured and stay in Montana are exempt from U.S. federal law, regulation, and registration. Additinionally, HB 246 states that raw materials such as wood and metal used to manufacture guns and ammo that stay in Montana are also not subject to U.S. federal law, regulation, and registration. ?It?s a gun bill, but it?s another way of demonstrating the sovereignty of the state of Montana,? Democrat Schweitzer said.

To see a copy of Montanta HB 246 bill go to http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2009/billpdf/HB0246.pdf

Kansas City Star news article http://www.kansascity.com/437/story/1169386.html

Both Texas and Utah are currently working to enact stronger states' gun rights legislation than Montana!!!
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." -H.L. Mencken

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: States' Gun Rights
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 12:43:20 PM »
Way to go Montana!  Maybe if other states follow suit the 10th Amendment will start to have some teeth again.  Right now the Feds ignore it.

Offline stutzcattle

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 09:09:07 PM »
This is definitely something I would like to see Nebraska pickup and run with in the next unicam.

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 11:45:37 PM »
We need to seriously look into this and possibly push for it.  I don't see why we wouldn't.  Patience though, enjoy our victory of the day.

Offline Josh1776

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 10:58:28 PM »
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." -H.L. Mencken

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 05:44:25 PM »
I think Montana will have a big fight on their hands, but I wish them the best and I hope they are successful!!! If they are, every other state will benefit and will be in debt to Montana for taking this on

Offline Josh1776

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 12:28:33 AM »
I wish all success to Montana too.  If I lived in Montanta I'd be hesitant to be "the guy" who tests this new Montana law.