< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: The path to concealed carry?  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
The path to concealed carry?
« on: February 01, 2013, 02:13:40 PM »
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking around here for a while, but I've had some changes in my life recently and they have made getting my carry permit not only possible, but advisable.  I'll be doing a fair amount of travel around the state, and I think if I'm going to be traveling the back roads of Nebraska it might be a good thing for me to have a little insurance against meth-heads and whatnot.

So I am hoping you good people can give me an idea of what steps I'll need to go through.  I had my handgun purchase card up until it expired last month, but if need be I can borrow a 9mm Sig from my parents for the class.  I don't really want to bother renewing the purchase card when I won't need it after I get the CCW card.

Gear that I have on my "to get" list:

Carry pistol (leaning towards an SR45)
Holster(s)
Extra magazines
Carry license
reloading dies
ammunition components

So what gear am I missing that is on the "must have or it's all pointless" list?  (Note this is not the same as the "Nice to have" list or the "Really nifty and I want it" list, or even the "Makes life a little easier" list.)

What's the first thing I need to do?   What paperwork or documentation do I need to gather before I start?

Am I over-thinking this?   :D

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
Re: The path to concealed carry?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 02:25:01 PM »
Actually I would start by getting your handgun purchase permit as the former chief of police in Bellevue just found out it is illegal to loan a handgun to someone without them having their purchase permit.  Now that may be different from family member to family member (I'm sure someone will answer that one for me shortly).  Other than that you need to get scheduled into an upcoming ccw class, I would recommend one of the site sponsors here but I may be biased.  You will need to have a safe holster for your class, something that covers the trigger guard, cross draw is normally not allowed.  Safety glasses and hearing protection.  After you take your class you just need to take your form from the class, info the state patrol requires and go down to one of the State patrol offices and get finger printed up, give them some money and wait. 

Must haves for CCW,  a good holster and gun belt that you can rely on, do lots of reading and figure out if you would prefer to carry IWB or OWB, get it narrowed down then it just comes down to you trying a few different things and see what works for you and your body type.  Some people have a box full of holsters and a few have been lucky and found something that works for them on the first try.  Good luck.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 02:51:19 PM »
69-2403. Sale, lease, rental, and transfer; certificate required; exceptions.

(1) Except as provided in this section and section 69-2409, a person shall not purchase, lease, rent, or receive transfer of a handgun until he or she has obtained a certificate in accordance with section 69-2404. Except as provided in this section and section 69-2409, a person shall not sell, lease, rent, or transfer a handgun to a person who has not obtained a certificate.

(2) The certificate shall not be required if:

(a) The person acquiring the handgun is a licensed firearms dealer under federal law;

(b) The handgun is an antique handgun;

(c) The person acquiring the handgun is authorized to do so on behalf of a law enforcement agency;

(d) The transfer is a temporary transfer of a handgun and the transferee remains (i) in the line of sight of the transferor or (ii) within the premises of an established shooting facility;

(e) The transfer is between a person and his or her spouse, sibling, parent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or grandparent;

(f) The person acquiring the handgun is a holder of a valid permit under the Concealed Handgun Permit Act; or

(g) The person acquiring the handgun is a peace officer as defined in section 69-2429.

As it stands, your parents may "transfer" a handgun to you per 69-2403 (e).  You would not need the pistol permit to utilize your parents' pistol for the class.  With that said, some instructors require a permit to purchase when you sign up for their classes.  So, you may still need to get a purchase permit to attend a class.

Another reason to consider renewing the purchase permit is so you don't have to "flash" your concealed carry permit in public places when purchasing a firearm.

Finding a carry gun is no small matter.  You'll probably want to visit a place like the Bullet Hole where you can actually rent and shoot a variety of potential carry guns.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 02:56:54 PM »
Sparky seems to have covered everything.

I'll note ya shouldn't use hand loads for self defense.  Practice, sure, carry... preferrably not.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 04:44:17 PM »
Sparky seems to have covered everything.

I'll note ya shouldn't use hand loads for self defense.  Practice, sure, carry... preferrably not.

Oh, and a number of CCW instructors won't allow you to shoot hand loads for qualification.

Offline Hermit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 04:59:29 PM »
And I'm sure someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but the one time I wanted to rent a gun at the bullet hole, they required a purchase permit (or, presumably, a CCW).  So, if shopping around includes trying some stuff out at the Bullet Hole, you're gonna want that purchase permit for that.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 05:57:42 PM »
And I'm sure someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but the one time I wanted to rent a gun at the bullet hole, they required a purchase permit (or, presumably, a CCW).  So, if shopping around includes trying some stuff out at the Bullet Hole, you're gonna want that purchase permit for that.

This is correct.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline dkarp

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 06:45:10 PM »
The purchase permits are currently $5, a bill has been introduced in the legislature to raise the price. SO if I were you I would get one before that happens.

If you are involved in a shooting, your pistol may be taken for evidence, leaving you disarmed....

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 12:24:51 PM »
Other than that you need to get scheduled into an upcoming ccw class, I would recommend one of the site sponsors here but I may be biased.  You will need to have a safe holster for your class, something that covers the trigger guard, cross draw is normally not allowed.  Safety glasses and hearing protection.  After you take your class you just need to take your form from the class, info the state patrol requires and go down to one of the State patrol offices and get finger printed up, give them some money and wait. 

Just a thought, but it might be a good thing to have a link to the State Patrol site on the main page.  https://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/ConcealedCarry.aspx  Kudos to the State Patrol for making it readily available and comparatively clear, I didn't expect that so I came here first.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 12:40:13 PM »
The Information that the state patrol has there is usually way behind in terms of changes in the law
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 04:14:09 PM »
In one of the cases I was asked to investigate the deceased was using an AR-15 and his own hand loaded ammo.   His fourth round stove piped on him and he was killed by return fire while he was trying to un-jam it.