< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Hunting/camping in Colorado  (Read 1271 times)

Offline bigdog

• NFOA Full Member
Hunting/camping in Colorado
« on: February 04, 2013, 08:15:28 PM »
I will be in the mountains for a week this fall hunting and camping. The outfitter tells me I will need to purify my own water. There is a steam next to camp. Other than boiling, does anyone use/do something else to purify their water?  My first time ever doing this.

bigdog
bigdog

Offline bigmountainskiercfg

• Forum Member
Re: Hunting/camping in Colorado
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 08:48:56 PM »
I have used the katadyn base camp gravity water purifier quite a bit for backpacking/horse trips up in the wind rivers in wyoming. I also have a katadyn water purifier pump, but find myself using the gravity one a lot more as you can fill it up and hang it from a tree vs... going to the stream as often.  They have different sizes to suite your needs. 

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 10:57:41 PM »
I've got a Katadyn (now PUR) Hiker II pump filter I use on hikes in the Grand Canyon. It's never let me down and has a replaceable cartridge. I think they are around $50.

A-FIXER

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 11:27:30 PM »

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 08:11:17 PM »
Old school Iodine tablets for me. I use a hydration pack, and just drop a couple tablets in, walking around purifies it. They usually come with a second tablet to get rid of the iodine taste. Very cheap, and it works well.