< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Bought my first Black Rifle today... here comes the disease!!!  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
ok, I bought a stripped lower, not a complete gun.

A friend of mine (same guy I just got an HK USP 45C from, actually) had 5 Noveske N4 lowers in his safe and was willing to part with a couple of them for $145... I couldn't turn that down, and in fact, I considered buyinging a second to assemble and sell... but we'll see about that.

hopefully I'll have some boring pictures by the end of the week...  current thought is to make a flat-top SBR out of it...

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Bought my first Black Rifle today... here comes the disease!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 09:28:17 AM »
And so it begins....

Congrats, and by the way, there is NO cure.  ;D
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 10:17:05 AM »
there is NO cure.  ;D

that's what I'm wanting to hear!!!! :D

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 07:25:53 PM »
Got a line on the parts you need?  They can a be a challenge to find lately, But a Noveske platform is a great start
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 07:27:24 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 09:59:16 AM »
I've chosen my source for an LPK, just need to call them, and then it'll be waiting for the upper... I'd like a Vltor, but we'll see if that actually happens or not, other option is an LMK... at least those are the ones I'm kicking around right now.

I'll have a pretty good wait before I can do the final assembly anyway since I have to wait for my tax-stamp, so I'll just pull together everything except the barrel and just wait on that.

speaking of which... does anyone have the tools need to do this assembly available for loan?  I'd rather not spend $100 on special tools at this juncture... I have enough of those for my cars...

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 10:44:15 AM »
I've chosen my source for an LPK, just need to call them, and then it'll be waiting for the upper... I'd like a Vltor, but we'll see if that actually happens or not, other option is an LMK... at least those are the ones I'm kicking around right now.

I'll have a pretty good wait before I can do the final assembly anyway since I have to wait for my tax-stamp, so I'll just pull together everything except the barrel and just wait on that.

speaking of which... does anyone have the tools need to do this assembly available for loan?  I'd rather not spend $100 on special tools at this juncture... I have enough of those for my cars...

Just buy the tools...you'll need them for your next few AR builds anyway, trust me. ;)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 10:45:43 AM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 10:52:30 AM »
thanks Rick... we'll see.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 08:58:09 AM »
To assemble a lower, you don't need much in terms of tools.  Hammer, punches, vice grips, needle nose pliers, masking tape.

If you start building uppers, you'll need an armorer's wrench, torque wrench, snap ring pliers, receiver block, and a few other things I can't think of.

Brownells has entire section of AR-specific tools.  They also have instructions on assembly, as does AR15.com.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 10:38:31 AM »
I'm good except the armorers wrench and the reciever block... those are the only pieces I don't have.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 11:23:14 AM »
I'm good except the armorers wrench and the reciever block... those are the only pieces I don't have.

You should be able to find those for under $50 shipped for the pair.  Believe me, you'll want to buy them as you will change your mind on the configuration of your upper(s) multiple times in the future, I know that I have.

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 12:34:22 PM »
people keep telling me that... hmmmmmm

I may end up buying a complete upper anyway...

Offline f1fanatic

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 03:08:15 PM »
Hey Dark Helmet-
 I see you over on the HK Boards, fancy meeting you here. Congrats on the new purchase. Like another before me said, you got one heckuva a start. I got myself a RRA Entry Tactical a few months ago and like it very much, no Noveske tho. Doing a Tactical Class in the Big "O" next weekend. We'll definitely need some pics when you have it all built up.

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 07:32:21 PM »
sweet, and good to see you in here friend.

I'm temporarily diverting funds from the AR build to buy a TLR-3 and new holster for my HK though, sad, but necessary.

Offline wrenrj1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 08:27:09 PM »
Isn't this how Darth Vader started? I recall the old Star Wars movies where the Death Star was in construction.

FWIW I just went and bought my M-4 flat top complete out of sheer lazyness. I would have procrastinated otherwise.