< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Idea to think about, use Nebraska state CCW permit for buyers card  (Read 2083 times)

Offline rich17z

• NFOA Full Member
I made a call to Senator Brad Ashfords office and thought of the Idea of the Nebraska State CCW Permit to be used for along with the ccw,open carry,and firearms buyers card.  All in one for the state and Omaha.  The reason for me to do this is ,that I know about Omaha registration of handguns only that when some one from out of town that does not live in Omaha drives thru and possibility of getting pulled over is a little to worry about sometimes and ,so,I thought maybe since some states,I forget which ones have their ccw permits to buy and for ccw and opencarry.  3 things on one card along with your picture[mugshot] and all other important info that needs to be on it when you get stopped by a police officer.   Need some more thoughts from you so,this is for LB273.   Senator Ashford wants to raise the prices from $5.00 to $10.00 for the buyers card.  So,what are your thoughts on this?????  rich17z@cox.net,Omaha,Ne. 

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
Re: Idea to think about, use Nebraska state CCW permit for buyers card
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 04:16:16 PM »
I testified at the Legislative hearing regarding the increase of sheriffs fees, I suggested that to take some burden off of Sheriff's offices issuing purchase permits, they should change the law to allow the CHP to act as a purchase permit as well. That suggestion fell on deaf ears.

Senator Ashford actually got up there in his opening statements and said he wanted to leave the purchase permit fees at $5, and was amending the bill to reflect that.

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 05:05:27 PM »
not a bad idea, since it is an "even more stringent" standard than the purchase permit... but the CHP should in absolutely NO WAY be connected to or construed with OC... I would run from that conflagration like pigs from swine-flu...

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 06:31:41 PM »
I might be wrong if so somebody correct me. I believe the ccw permit allows us to oc in Omaha.Not sure that I want to.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline Rifleman

• NFOA Full Member
  • NRA Life Member / Instructor Certification
    • The Celtic Traveler
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 06:47:28 PM »
I agree with DH: It's a bad idea to connect Nebraska's open carry law with any kind of permit or government "permission slip." Isn't the mere existence of an "open carry law" a violation of the state constitution?

But I don't see the need for both a CCW and a purchase permit. Surely the CCW would be enough. But maybe the purchase permits represent an income source and this accounts for the reluctance to abandon them.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 06:52:32 PM »
I might be wrong if so somebody correct me. I believe the ccw permit allows us to oc in Omaha.Not sure that I want to.

You are correct, sir. 

Now for the crazy part for non-Omaha residents, if you plan on open-carrying, you'll need to register the handgun with OPD.  If you will be carrying concealed, you won't need to register the handgun. 
LB430(once it takes effect) only exempts someone from Omaha's registration as it pertains to concealed carry.

It's still better than what we have now.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline jp

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 01:06:43 PM »
I might get beat up for this one as it seems a lot of Nebraskans are for the purchase permit, but here goes...  I would prefer to see the purchase permit go away.  I've lived in two states that required no special permit or waiting period to purchase handguns.  It was as simple as filling out the form which took less than 5 minutes and the dealer calling in the NICS check which took about another 5 minutes, if everything was good to go the buyer paid and walked out with a new gun (post-election took longer but that was because you had to stand in line).  I don't understand what advantage the purchase permit has.  Does the buyer still have to do any paperwork or is it simply "here's my card, here's my money, I want that one"?  Even if there's no paperwork involved during the actual purchase, I would still prefer to have to do 10 to 15 minutes of paperwork than to get a permit through a local government agency.  Although I have a lot of confidence in my county Sheriff, I don't think it's any of his business.  If doing away with the purchase permit is simply not an option then I would like to see the CCW permit be able to act as a substitute for the purchase permit.

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 01:58:46 PM »
with the purch permit it allows you to skip the NICS call... fill out form x-fer form, pay money, go home.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 07:24:03 PM »
JP... a little history. The members here pretty much support the purchase permit. We even fought to keep it.

The NICS system can be unreliable and time consuming during a busy show, and issues with similar names with bad guys can stop you dead at times. With a purchase permit you just fill out a 4473 and go. No busy signals, no system outages, no problem other than a $5 cost every 3 years.  Might seem like a hassle, but most of us like the way it has worked. 

If you live in Lincoln or Omaha, the police are notified every time you purchase a handgun anyway, so using NICS doesn't keep the Sheriffs nose outta your business either.

I would really like to see the change made to make a CHP equivalent to a purchase permit, and I plan to push heavily for it at the proper time, but that might mean waiting until 2011
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.