< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Shooting My .308 At Big Shots  (Read 2215 times)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Shooting My .308 At Big Shots
« on: February 11, 2013, 08:44:41 PM »
The first time I went to Big Shots in Lincoln, the folks working that day got their calibers mixed up, and I was told they were allowing the use of .308 on the shooting lanes. 

I shot with a friend and we used three calibers, .22LR, .223 & the .308   

Below is a video of the .308 being fired.

On a second trip to the establishment, we were told, no .308 due to noise issues, just too loud. 

So if you want to shoot .308 at Big Shots, the word for now is no.  Maybe later.

I believe you can shoot Big calibers at the other indoor range in the city.  Big shots is 3 blocks from my O street business, and is handy for me.   As a own several other guns (understatement) I should be able to find something else too shoot. 

A-FIXER

Re: Shooting My .308 At Big Shots
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 08:47:14 PM »
CAN... IT ;D.............. with a suppressor.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 09:38:26 PM »
Thunder Alley allows the use of centerfire rifles as long as you're not shooting FMJ.

Or you could join the Izaak Walton League and shoot out to 300 meters, or ENGC and go out to 600....

Offline on the fritz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 10:01:21 PM »
When I went there a few weeks ago,I was told that .308 was allowed but only when it was not busy (i.e. Friday nights); and it was for the same reason (noise). 

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 11:49:51 PM »
I gave the short version of the story.  Long version.

I was told people were not allowed to shoot .308 because it was damaging the building.  Then another employee said if the bullets were not steel, I could shoot.  I presented my ammo, a magnet did not want anything to do with it, and shot, no problems.  This was all on the first visit to the range.  First yes, then no, then yes, then no, then yes.  All in 10 minutes, from several employees all trying to figure out if I could shoot.

A week later, different employees, owners, said I could not shoot, because other people were disruptive with the large guns, and were upsetting other guests.    The lady then asked the owner, and came back and said it was because the rounds were too loud, I could not shoot.  Different reason, then they were battering with a week ago.

I just wish they could get their story straight and consistent across the board.

Yes, no, yes, no, no, yes, on certain nights?

If the owner of Big Shots would like to chime in on their policy that seems to be all over the place on .308, I am all ears.   I am sure he is a member here, or should be.

My business is three blocks away, why drive to another range across town, to shoot my guns?

Big Shots is a wonderful building, good people, and I would like to support them as much as possible, as we are neighbors. 

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 11:51:52 PM »
Thunder Alley allows the use of centerfire rifles as long as you're not shooting FMJ.

Or you could join the Izaak Walton League and shoot out to 300 meters, or ENGC and go out to 600....

I live in the country on 7 acres, so I could shoot at my own house, but my business is 3 blocks from Big Shots, it is fun to pop over and shoot off a few rounds.  I was going to purchase a family membership, until this happened. 

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 11:55:32 PM »
I shot my AR-15 16" barrel in 5.56/.223.  Was shooting 55gr target loads.  While I was not told I could not come back, one of the employees, a REALLY nice guy name Jeremy, commented "Man that thing is loud!".  He never came into the range while I was shooting, so apparently he could hear it clearly from the retail area. 

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 07:21:48 AM »
I shot my AR-15 16" barrel in 5.56/.223.  Was shooting 55gr target loads.  While I was not told I could not come back, one of the employees, a REALLY nice guy name Jeremy, commented "Man that thing is loud!".  He never came into the range while I was shooting, so apparently he could hear it clearly from the retail area. 

Fly

I took my Sig M400 in to do prelim zeroing on my StrikeFire.  Had no issues with Jim or Teri, and the RO at the time even warned the "new group" of younger folk that my weapon was a bit louder than the others and if they would like to change lanes they could.  Everyone in there at one time or another came over to watch a round or two fly, then went about their business.  The RO, and I even think his name was Jeremy (A younger guy, Vet) helped with some insight on the differences of the 25 yard and 50 yard zeros. 

This was 2 or 3 weekends ago.  Zero issues whatsoever.  I was there on a Saturday mid day. I don't know what a .308 sounds like, but it can't be much louder than the 5.56 rounds... Is it?

Eitherway, it may be the day you are trying to shoot. If they are having something going on in the archery range, I could see how it could be a bit loud for them. 

Best thing is to call and talk to Jim and lay out your case and what was said.  Get the info straight from the source.  Ask him if there is a better time to come in (may not be convenient, but it sure beats the "NO" you are getting).

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 09:01:51 AM »
Guess I couldn't take my big ole' Smith 500 there... That thing shakes teeth.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 09:58:18 AM »
they let me shoot my Super Shorty there.  someone was shooting an AR and it was loud, but i think the Super Shorty was a little louder.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 06:46:01 PM »
Guess I couldn't take my big ole' Smith 500 there... That thing shakes teeth.

Jealous, I want one of those.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 07:17:03 PM »
Except for possibly a quick sight in , I can't imagine wanting to shoot a .308 indoors, or any rifle for that matter, other than a 22LR
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 08:50:29 PM »
Except for possibly a quick sight in , I can't imagine wanting to shoot a .308 indoors, or any rifle for that matter, other than a 22LR

I agree. If you just need a quick way to make sure you are hitting paper.

That said it looks like a nice range.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 10:38:38 PM »
That is all I use any range for, plinking to hear gun fire seems childish at 56 years of age, and an ammo shortage.

Now I am teaching my wife to shoot her 9mm S&W 439, so going through a few rounds of that. 

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »

I agree with you, as most times, that shooting the rifle indoors in a 25yrd range is pointless.

To back up my case for the 5.56 at BigShots, I needed to check the mounts that I had just installed.  Plus its fun to see the RO get all giddy about seeing someone with something "fun". 

Great place, great owners....