< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: .40S&W Metallic Cartridge Reloading Clinic 25 February 13 Papillion, NE  (Read 1397 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
The subject Reloading Clinic will be held as follows:

Day/Date:        Monday, 25 February 2013
Time:                 6:00pm until 9:00pm [M/L]
                          731 N. Frontier Road
                          Papillion, NE

Roster below modified on 13Feb13 to show the following attendees:

1.    Gigabelly
2.    Markk
3.    Jutty
4.    lilong
5.    SteAnd

Clinic is now fully enrolled.

This clinic will be just about the same as the 9mm clinic, except we will use .40S&W reloading dies, cartridge cases, and bullets.   Same Win231 powder [slightly larger charge] and same WSP primers.

We may have the luxury of two presses now, thanks to Altheman2.

sfg

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 09:42:23 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: .40S&W Metallic Cartridge Reloading Clinic 25 February 13 Papillion, NE
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 08:04:40 PM »
Students will need to bring:

* 12-15 once fired 40s&w brass.  Picked up as they were from the range is fine.

* Note taking materials if you're the note taking type (there's a lot of hands on, though)

* A pair of shooting / safety glasses

* Whatever the cost of the clinic is in cash (typically $20, dunno what this one will cost)

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 08:31:59 PM »
unfy.......

Should we raise the prices like Everyone else in the Shooting Game is doing??

After all, there's justification:   It's a Higher Caliber!   [You know.....40S&W vs 9mm]

Let's do our best to hold costs down and stay w/$20 Bucks.    Seems to be working OK for the Forum members.   And that way we don't have to make change.

Now that we can run two presses and two hand primers, it should zip along quite nicely.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 10:38:10 PM »
Sorry bout being late, folks.  Back pain aint cool.

As shown in the class, the bullet seating die can be the most pain to set up.  Set it once for a particular load and lock'er down :).

I dunno if I've ever seen such a problem getting the seating die to cooperate like that... accordioned plenty of cases heh.

I'll get a post here later with a copy of the no-no list and other stuff.  Didn't get to do what all I needed to over the weekend for prep for the class for ya guys :(.  Also violated the first item in the no-no list.... i was distracted with pain and ended up breaking a further no-no list item in getting finger scrunched heheheh.

Progressive presses - if ya got a Hornady LNL AP and have questions, lemme know.  I run a LNL AP myself for all of my pistol reloading.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Markk

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 06:18:20 PM »
Semper Fi Guy and Unfy,
Had a great time and learned a lot at the class Monday night. Thanks for taking the time to help new people learn, I appreciate it alot.
Thanks again,
Mark

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 07:11:31 PM »
Yeah, Unfy, where can I get components?  Once I get all my components, I am ready to try and I will be hitting you up with questions.  Thanks again for a great class.
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 08:36:48 PM »
Components bwahahahaha.   They're scarce to find as well.  Do you just need bullets/brass/primers/powder ?  Or are you needing press parts (shell plates / dies) as well ?

You're in Lincoln, no ?  No experience with any stores around that area.

Here in the Omaha area....

Guns Unlimited: 120th & I: primers, powders, factory new brass, expensive projectiles (hornady/winchester/etc).  RCBS, Hornady, MEC presses.  Hornady LNL AP parts.  Hornady and RCBS dies. Some RCBS other stuff.

Cabella's: Some factory new brass, variety of bullets including cheapy (berry's) and expensive (hornady etc).  Lee / Hornady / RCBS presses.  Lee / Hornady / RCBS dies.  Some Hornady LNL AP parts, RCBS shell holders.  Misc other useful reloading stuff that's handy.  They seem to be cutting down on primers and powder.

Scheels: A wide variety of stuff... but I've best labeled it as "wide selection but weird". 

Across the river, Bass Pro Shop: I recall being somewhat disappointed in what they had.

Offline Jutty

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 09:00:56 PM »
If you're looking for the components for the rounds in the Lincoln area, I believe Greygeek is a Lincolnite also, you could check with him on the places he has been most/least successful.

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 09:24:32 PM »
I have had plates and dies on back order since early January. Yeah, I'm in Lincoln and Scheels either never gets the stuff in or I don't go in at the right times.

I'm not in a huge rush. I will wait for the back orders. I don't have the space set up to put it all together yet anyhow.
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan