< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Heatsheild Installation  (Read 957 times)

Offline FreedomOne

• Forum Member
  • The USA! Of, For, and By the People!
Heatsheild Installation
« on: May 15, 2009, 07:29:02 AM »
I have a Mossberg 500 Cruiser, 12 GA Pump shotgun, with 7 shot capacity. I have modified it with some add-on parts, and want to add one more. I bought a heatsheild from ATI. I followed the instructions on taking off the barrel of the shotgun, widening the tabs, and then sliding it on to the barrel, and reinstalling the barrel. Then I get to the part where I have to somehow squeeze the tabs together so I can put two bolts in them to hold the sheild on the barrel. There is where I am having a problem. How do you squeeze the tabs together so you can install the nuts and bolts? I hope this makes sense to someone who has done this before. I have tried a pair of channel lock pliers and they will not fit around the barrel enough to complete this task. Any ideas? Thank you very much for any advice I might receive. I am familiar around guns, I have just never installed one of these before.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
Re: Heatsheild Installation
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 09:59:11 AM »
Get a bigger plier.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline George

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 11:03:58 AM »
use a hose clamp..........they come in all sizes
Endowment Life NRA member

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 07:26:24 PM »
One method would be to insert a long bolt into the holes on the tabs on the heatsheild and use a nut as a device to pull the tabs into closer proximity.

Offline FreedomOne

• Forum Member
  • The USA! Of, For, and By the People!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 12:40:46 AM »
Wanted to say a big "Thank You" to "Ranger04!" I used your suggestion and got two bolts the right diameter, just longer, and used them along with the nuts to pull the tabs closer. Worked like a charm! I then took out the new bolts, one at a time, and then installed the permanent nuts and bolts and tightend it down. Heatshield is on and very solid! Thanks again!