< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Smart Meters in Nebraska  (Read 3700 times)

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
Smart Meters in Nebraska
« on: February 14, 2013, 03:18:06 PM »
http://www.meetup.com/the912project/messages/boards/thread/20216472

I found that article while searching for info on Smart Meters in Nebraska. Does anyone have one on their house currently?

I'll tack on this question - does anyone know about Agenda 21 and how it's being implemented in Nebraska?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 03:22:54 PM by NENick »

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Smart Meters in Nebraska
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 03:25:37 PM »
Most of Greater Omaha has had them for a few years now

Both the Electric and Gas/water meters too
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

A-FIXER

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 03:37:57 PM »
Nick, I have contacted Sen's Dubas, Gloor, Gov. Heineman, we need to stop this as well Johanns also passed a bill that would allow aeril photographing and this by-passes gaining axcess to your property this is not good and No I don't have A TIN HAT ON TOO TIGHT...

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 04:31:30 PM »
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:34:34 PM by NENick »

A-FIXER

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 05:22:51 PM »
As I understand it is this any subsidies granted by gov to some farming businesses who accept funds can not for ie: can not cuts a tree line out as it would affect the natural habitat of critters. And if they did would remove further funding. And now they no longer require to be on your property they can do from the air.... its another invasion of your rights

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 05:42:28 PM »
Lincoln doesn't have them and has shelved any plans for them at this point. 
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 05:57:15 PM »
I hear they mysteriously catch on fire and are disabled. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 06:31:56 PM »
does anyone know about Agenda 21 and how it's being implemented in Nebraska?

NFOA's new assistant lobbyist Bryan V.D. has been working on this issue and educating Nebraska Legislators for a few years . I believe his username is Buffalo if you want to ask him about it.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

A-FIXER

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 06:41:13 PM »
Thanks Dan.... this helps

A-FIXER

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 06:42:50 PM »
and are disabled. 
LOL.... I heard that also...

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 07:35:42 PM »
A friend of mine works for MUD, and says that MUD does not use the "Smart Meters" and has no current plans to do so. Can't be used for gas because  pilot lights would extinguish every cycle. Just a bit of a problem there.

As for OPPD meters, they are only supposed to be electronic broadcasting of the current readings. A van drives up the street and scans all the meters saving manpower to manually read them. Supposed to save $$.

I know my air conditioner worked all last summer.  8)
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

A-FIXER

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 07:42:22 PM »
I know my air conditioner worked all last summer. 

Koz its not about having your a/c working it all that goes with it,

you my friend will not like what you read, when you read it R/F frequencies like sitting atop your dish and accepting signals all the time. This is why Erin Broavich proved that living under HighVoltage Lines cause cancer,illness,and many other health problems....

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 07:56:52 PM »
I always wondered if Tech Savvy Theifs could tap in to and use the info from
these so called"Smart Meters" to be able to target Homes where the family was on vacation
or someting like that Due to the amount of usage the meters were reporting over a period of time.

Guess I need to look more into how exactly the report useage and what data is transmitted and if it resets each time triggered or not.

"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 08:19:30 PM »
these so called"Smart Meters" to be able to target Homes where the family was on vacation
or someting like that Due to the amount of usage the meters were reporting over a period of time.

It depends on if the  data is encrypted going both directions and the RSA encryption key is greater than 1024 bytes,  preferably 4096 bytes.  Keys  of less than or equal  to 768 bytes have already been broken, so 128, 256 and 512 byte keys are no longer safe.    Bigger keys take longer to encrypt and decrypt data but corporations generally don't keep abreast of encryption technology in  order to save money and increase profits, especially if it  isn't their data that is at risk.

A-FIXER

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 08:32:06 PM »

Guess I need to look more into how exactly the report useage and what data is transmitted and if it resets each time triggered or not.

From what I read you bet!! as it broadcast in R/F and when your not using the tv,washer, micro, oven, hairdryer, based on consumption of electricty and know the band sure enough. What makes this hard to understand is this..... I am an Appliance Repair Co, and todays mfg appliances are equiped with abilty to be controlled by via cell phone and like items, and group the home alarm system that will allow the user to do the same so they can tap a CC system and view in your home if your can a savy tech can right Scott! but what almost no one knows that they are putting camera's on your mid-range and higher products with listening capibilties so your getting watched by your TV, range , micro, washer, ect... if you have a new mfg flat screen tv go up to it and take a flash light at about a 45* angle of flash light you'll spot the infa-red sensor but wait as you scan the outter frame of the TV you see another type of eye/sensor yup its the camera they are built into them on most models. Don't believe yet put tape/black/duct and cover it you'll find the tv works just fine and Dish/Google have these they say to watch your emotions while you watch to they say to create a better commercial? Well if I watching BOB AKA barrak-0-bama=BOB and have evil sneers they might call me a future ter**** and use local swat

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 08:43:03 PM »
Smart Meters
OPPD has AMR (Automatic Meter Reads) that will broadcast the reading for certain areas.
These are somewhat "smart" meters, but are not the ones that are mostly discussed or written about now.
They can't be used to shut off power or receive other commands.  They are also not smart sensing to broadcast when power is lost, etc.
Not sure on encryption, etc.

Smart meter's are costly and I don't think that Nebraska has quite the right incentives to get them installed.
Federal Grants and other subsidies may change that.

Smart meters do allow for better monitoring of power and overall grid monitoring to get better reliability and faster responses to outages. They can also help with troubleshooting outages to determine where a fault is.

Depending on the resolution of the reading, you can figure out when someone is home or not over a period of time.
You could also do this with several Wi-Fi and internet enabled smart thermostats.

Air-Conditioners
OPPD has an air-conditioner cycling program to help reduce peak demands.
There is a box installed on the outside of the house and it is used to cycle the power to the A/C.
It works similar to a pager and only receives a signal to turn off the A/C

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 08:46:18 PM »
I would be more worried about someone hacking your Wi-Fi enable cameras or lightly secured wireless router.

Also smart phones can be hacked too.

There are lots of easier ways to figure out if someone is home or not.

Offline shovelhead69

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 06:22:44 AM »
I would be more worried about someone hacking your Wi-Fi enable cameras or lightly secured wireless router.

Also smart phones can be hacked too.

There are lots of easier ways to figure out if someone is home or not.

Just this month I had to go from basic internet to business because I kept using to much internet. Someone kept tapping in and using my connection. Tried all new passwords etc but no go so now I pay 125mo instead of 50$ Plus side, I can now download to my heart's content because I have unlimited usage.
To accuse a man for the sake of drama is a cowardly timid man's work (Rick)

A-FIXER

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 08:11:02 AM »
This just needs to be nipped in the bud before it goes full bore.

Offline rudy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 10:24:30 AM »
Just this month I had to go from basic internet to business because I kept using to much internet. Someone kept tapping in and using my connection. Tried all new passwords etc but no go so now I pay 125mo instead of 50$ Plus side, I can now download to my heart's content because I have unlimited usage.
What kind of encryption are you running on your wifi?  WEP, WPA, WPA2?  WEP is easily cracked in 10 minutes or less with the right equipment.  For cracking WPA a brute force attack trying lots of passwords is the only option, so if you use a password with random letters, numbers, and special characters, it is unlikely that it will be broken in any reasonable amount of time.