hagel
« on: February 14, 2013, 09:07:14 PM »
Denied....  :) ;) :D ;D :P >:D ^-^ :blank: :kiss: :laugh:

Offline Eagle1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: hagel
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 10:18:11 PM »
I see Johanns was 1 of 4 Republicans to cast a yea for the twit. Just like he said he would.
USN 83-87, American Legion

A-FIXER

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 10:57:24 PM »
That only 1 reason of many many his time is done and need to replace him...

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 12:46:01 AM »
The really sucky thing is even if he doesn't get the job, the shmuck will get some other publicly funded gig somewhere.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 07:31:38 AM »
He'll be confirmed when the Senate comes back from its recess.

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 07:40:26 PM »
What I can't wrap my head around is McCain's willingness to go along with Hagel's confirmation.  Sen. McCain was repeatedly tortured and had his body broken in Hanoi to get him to speak out against the US and our military.  Chuck Hagel goes on Al Jazeera, speaks at CARE meetings, and does the university lecture circuit talking down the military and how the US "bullys" the world ... for money. How can that not completely burn old Johnny's ass?  Hagel says 'Oh I must have been misunderstood' or 'I can't recall the exact wording' , and McCain decides that's good enough for him?!?!?  ???

A-FIXER

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 08:07:22 PM »
McCain is a progressive Republican

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 08:40:50 PM »
McCain is a progressive Republican

I think you mean progressive RINO

A-FIXER

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 08:58:11 PM »
I think you mean progressive RINO

YA THAT''S IT

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 09:27:08 PM »
What happened?  I don't see anything on the news sites.

A-FIXER

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 09:30:44 PM »
Were thinking out loud of older news, on the committee doing the questioning.

Offline Eagle1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 12:13:37 AM »
So Johanns is walking away from DC and like Hagel and Kerry, collect a $175000/ year pay check and free health care for life and not have to worry about his Hagel vote.
Well played Mikey, well played.
Oh, lest we forget his time as Ag Sec, I am sure that pays some life long welfare.
USN 83-87, American Legion

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 08:46:19 AM »
Isn't the usual career path for "retired"  politicians to hire out as lobbyists for special interest groups at around $250K/yr or more, which adds to their gov retirement pay, thus hastening the breakdown of our Republic?

I hope MJ doesn't continue down that path.

But, he's not that old, and he could have easily won another 6 year term.   So, the question is, "Why did he quit?".   

With a Congressional work schedule that requires less than 150 days per year "in Washington", and counts the days traveling to and from Washington as "being in" Washington:

it would appear to me that he had plenty of time to "be with his family".   Americans who are fortunate to hold a full time job have to put in 2080 hours/yr on the job, and they are lucky if they get two weeks of paid vacation  per year.   Those with part-time jobs have to work more than 2080 hrs per year to make a living because they have to commute to work twice as much, or more, as those who hold only one job.   It is not unusual for someone holding two 20/hr/week job having to spend an hour or two each day commuting from home to the job ...  to home or the other job, and to home again.  And with no bennies.

99% of Americans do not have a staff that takes calls, opens letters, writes position papers, and mails out carbon copy replies to questions from constituents, with franking privileges.  They aren't invited to free dinners (usually fund raisers) where they can be praised for working so little, and they can't take those "campaign donations", I call them bribes, and put them into their "campaign war chest", which can be converted to personal private funds when they retire.

There is something more behind his  sudden retirement than what we are being told.  Is he frustrated with trying to change Washington from within?   Threats on his or his family's character or life?  Was he conning us all along just to get a free ride for the last 20-30 years of his life?

A-FIXER

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 09:12:26 AM »
Either way I very comfortable with his present choice.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
150 days in session unless you are BHO....who spent less than half of that time whilst a Senator.
Conspiracy Theory:  Heineman wanted to run for Senate in 2012.  He knew (or suspected) "problems" with Sheehy and declined to run due to the potential of Sheehy being ousted/forced to resign from the Governorship when the CHTF.  This would harm the NE GOP for a long time.   Fast forward to picking a LT GOV who has agreed not to run for GOV i.e. Heidemann and your legacy remains safe as well as the GOP.  Heineman too is a young man... too young to simply go back to Fremont and run for Mayor again.  He is very savvy and seems to be a "king maker" reference Fisher over Bruning.
I suspect MJ knows his time is limited in Congress ala Ben Nelson type votes in the past couple of months make him not the simple shoe-in as in the past.  More stress than he cares to handle. 
In conclusion, I think Heineman would make a good Senator....MUCH BETTER THAN "THE FORT" ...... I am sure Citizen Clark can give us the inside track.....

A-FIXER

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 09:25:03 AM »
Question? didn't the LT GOV resign?

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 11:20:36 AM »
Yes he did...

A-FIXER

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 12:33:07 PM »