< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: My letter to Lee Terry  (Read 591 times)

Offline bubba803

• NFOA Full Member
My letter to Lee Terry
« on: February 16, 2013, 04:41:06 PM »
I received a letter from Lee Terry today in response to an email I had sent him a few weeks ago.  I'm sure some of you here received the same letter.  I drafted a response, but haven't sent it yet.  Read it over and tell me what you think.  I'm not too good at this type of thing, so, any contructive criticism would be appreciated. (key word is constructive! ;))  Thanks.

Mr. Terry,

I would like to thank you for your response to my email about gun control.  However, I have some issues with your four-point plan that you put in your response.

First, background checks at gun shows:  I have been to many gun shows.  The majority of people selling guns at gun shows that I have been to have been FFLs.  They are already required to fill out BATF form 4473 on sales.  Are you meaning to require background checks on all private sales of guns?  The only background checks I could agree with is if it was done like it is done here in Nebraska when buying handguns.  A background check is done at your county Sheriff"s office and is good for 3 years.  Whenever someone is involved in a private gun sale, they would show their purchase permit along with an ID.  It has worked here for years on handguns sales and would work for all guns sales.  This should be a local matter only.  It should not be done at the Federal level.

Second, grant funds for police officers at schools.  Again, this should be a State matter.  There is already too much Federal Government control of states in the form of grants.  The State and local school districts should be able to figure out a way to do this on their own.  Teachers and administrators carrying concealed weapons should be looked into.  I have 2 children in elementary school and would feel fine with their teachers carrying in the classroom.

Third, mental health issues.  I agree that we should do more to keep those with mental illness from getting weapons.  But, again, I think this should be done at a local level.    When you have certain high level Federal Government officials (Napolitano) saying that veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan could be considered potential terrorists, I have no faith in the Federal Government to handle this.  Is every returning Soldier or Marine with a history of PTSD going to be barred from owning guns?

Fourth, I do agree that current laws need to be enforced more vigorously.  That includes government officials that sell guns to cartels in Mexico.  They should be the first ones thrown in jail.

Thank you for responding.  I want you to know that many of us here in Nebraska watch closely how you vote in Washington.  If you vote in any way that infringes on our 2nd Amendment rights, we will be out in force to see that you are defeated in the next election and replaced with someone who steadfastly defends the Constitution.

Sincerely,
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:13:18 PM by bubba803 »
I came into this world kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood;  I plan on leaving it the same way!

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: My letter to Lee Terry
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 07:04:45 PM »
Looks good to me.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 07:19:23 PM »
Wouldn't change a word.  Excellent.

A-FIXER

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 09:45:06 PM »
Fourth, I do agree that current laws need to be enforced more vigorously.  That includes government officials that sell guns to cartels in Mexico.  They should be the first ones thrown in jail.

This so touches my heart... rotton sob from the top down the AG needs some prison love and with no complaints. :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: