< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Noob reloading question  (Read 1413 times)

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
Noob reloading question
« on: February 16, 2013, 06:04:30 PM »
I haven't got my reloading press yet (back ordered, imagine that).  I will loading 9mm. 

I have a couple of 9mm carbines that I shoot the same factory ammo as my 3 9mm pistols.  I haven't found any recommended loads for 9mm carbine loads like they have for say, 357 mag rifles.  Any ideas? :blank:

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Noob reloading question
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 07:04:16 PM »
Here is a listing of 9mm reloading data for a wide variety of bullet weights, powders and primers.
http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=9%20mm&Weight=115&type=Handgun&Order=Velocity&Source=

Good luck finding bullets, primers and powders for the loads  you choose.   I finally found a second choice for powder and ordered 8 lbs of Titegroup,  which is primarily for target shooting and light duty.   My Lee Aniversary  Classic Reloader kit came a couple days ago and it has a Hodgdon Data  Manual in it.   Titegroup is one of the powders listed.   For  a 147 gr bullet the load is like this:

147gr Hornady XTP (I  hope I can find them.  So  far, NO ONE has any 9mm bullets available.)
Titegroup 3..6 gr
929 ft/sec
27,500 CUP.

It doesn't mention which  primer to  use  but I am hoping to get a hold of some CCI #500 small pistol primers.

My  dies willl be  here  in a couple weeks.  Primers and bullets are the only components I am missing.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 07:29:28 PM »
147gr Hornady XTP (I  hope I can find them.
Fremont gun show dealer had boxes of them.  Silly me,  I was looking for 115 or 124 grain ::)

Offline cckyle

• NFOA Full Member
  • KD0MKS
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 08:04:56 PM »
I have never seen loading data in 9mm for carbine vs pistol.  I would start with a recommended load from a manual and work up to a load you like in the carbine just like you would with any load. I started reloading 9mm not to long ago as well. I have reloaded about 750 rounds now it is fun. I too am running low on components and am having a hard time finding stuff.

Offline huskersforever

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 10:05:33 PM »
I shoot an XDM 9mm and I use 4.4 grains of No. 2 Accurate powder with Berry's 115 grain FMJ bullets.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 10:13:32 AM »
When you are not reloading....you use what ever comes in the box. Everyone seems OK with that until it comes to reloading.

It is amazing checking the COAL (cartridge over all length) from one brand to another. With basically the same FMJ 9mm shape, the length can vary quite a bit. The actual bullets are the same and definately not enough of a shape change to merit the COAL changes. When using different bullets where the shape does vary quite a bit (like Hornady XTP) it is best to start with the mfg. recommended COAL but maybe check the actual distance the bullet will chamber from barrel rifling in a particular gun. Since you are reloading for several firearms, you will need to possibly compromise to something that works in all guns. This is where so much confusion comes in and of course nobody wants responsibility should you make a mistake.

I have started using Power Pistol in 9mm. Was using W231 but only because it was on hand for .45ACP reloading. Power Pistol lets 9mm get to a higher velocity than W231. It appears starting in the middle of recommended charges works without a problem, and skips the cycle issues in auto firearms that haven't been modified for light loads. (yeah, expect some FTF/FTE issues with light loads unless recoil springs are changed).

Hunting around on the web can find lots of gun specific loads. Powder companies have online load info you can print, download or have emailed to you (don't know why there are so many options, most likely responsibility concerns). Powder manuals are available at most stores that stock powders. There is a pretty decent booklet you can find at most places selling reloading supplies that is a binder of various reload data that is pretty decent. Then there are reloading books that come in handy if you are going to use certain brand bullets.

Lacking a way to test pressures, you will have to pay attention to pressure signs (primer shape after firing, case issues, embossing). A chronograph will be a good investment to really understand what you are getting in different guns. Finally will be the results on targets. 

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 11:51:48 AM »
When you are not reloading....you use what ever comes in the box. Everyone seems OK with that until it comes to reloading.

It is amazing checking the COAL (cartridge over all length) from one brand to another. With basically the same FMJ 9mm shape, the length can vary quite a bit. The actual bullets are the same and definately not enough of a shape change to merit the COAL changes. When using different bullets where the shape does vary quite a bit (like Hornady XTP) it is best to start with the mfg. recommended COAL but maybe check the actual distance the bullet will chamber from barrel rifling in a particular gun. Since you are reloading for several firearms, you will need to possibly compromise to something that works in all guns. This is where so much confusion comes in and of course nobody wants responsibility should you make a mistake.

I have started using Power Pistol in 9mm. Was using W231 but only because it was on hand for .45ACP reloading. Power Pistol lets 9mm get to a higher velocity than W231. It appears starting in the middle of recommended charges works without a problem, and skips the cycle issues in auto firearms that haven't been modified for light loads. (yeah, expect some FTF/FTE issues with light loads unless recoil springs are changed).

Hunting around on the web can find lots of gun specific loads. Powder companies have online load info you can print, download or have emailed to you (don't know why there are so many options, most likely responsibility concerns). Powder manuals are available at most stores that stock powders. There is a pretty decent booklet you can find at most places selling reloading supplies that is a binder of various reload data that is pretty decent. Then there are reloading books that come in handy if you are going to use certain brand bullets.

Lacking a way to test pressures, you will have to pay attention to pressure signs (primer shape after firing, case issues, embossing). A chronograph will be a good investment to really understand what you are getting in different guns. Finally will be the results on targets. 

I am using Power Pistol on a Rainer FMJ 115gr with 5.0gn.  Absolutely zero issues.  This is a light load, and my first batch of 9mm.  Lowest load in the Hornady book was 4.8 and next step was 5.2.  I loaded 4.8, 5.0, and 5.2 and did not have any issues with cycling whatsoever.  My powder throws ended up consistent at 5.0 so that's what I loaded my first 100 rounds at.  after 30 rounds, not one failure.  Just an FYI.