< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Cleaning brass on the cheap!  (Read 1794 times)

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
Cleaning brass on the cheap!
« on: February 17, 2013, 07:57:52 PM »
Everything to reload my 9mm casings has arrived except for the primer and bullets.  It looks like it will be a matter of luck if I get any before September or November.   

Anyway,  500 brass casings came last week.  Most were very dirty.   Some appeared to  have been  fired in worn  guns that allowed blow back between the brass and the chamber wall, darkening the cases.  Most were discolored in some way or another.  How to clean them?  I did a google search and found out about a variety of methods.   Some involved buying tumblers or ultrasonic cleaners, and all the powders and juices to go with them.  I found a couple cheap ways to clean  them.

First, was to  use those Scotch brand kitchen scratchers, "Scott  Brite" I believe they are called.   I pulled out 50 and began rubbing them.  First, I'd pinch the head grove in the scrratcher and spin the shell.  Then I'd rub the base of the shell to polish  it.  Then I stuck a pencil in  the case, laid it against my jean pant leg, and began rolling the scratcher back and forth.   In about a minute the case was nice and bright.  The pencil eraser somewhat cleaned the back of the case where the primer exhaust port is, but not too well.   This process was clearly labor intensive.  It took about 2 hours to clean 50 casing, very good on  the outside but not so good on  the inside.   There had to be a better, but equally cheap way.

I came across a video, , "Cleaning Brass for Reloading (Without a  tumbler)".   The video results, especially  the inside of the casings, were excellent, so I thought I'd give it a try.

The recipe to clean 50  brass casings calls for 1 Qt of hot water, 1 cup of vinegar, 1  Tbs of dish soap and 1 Tbs of salt.    I used a 1 gallon Breyer  Ice Cream plastic jug and filled  it with hot water, added 5 cups of vinegar, 5 Tbs of dish soap  and 5 Tbs of salt.    Then I dumped in 450 casings.   With a gloved hand I began stirring them around for about 2 or 3 minutes and then  put the lid on the jug and let them set for 30 minutes.  I found I could pick up the jug and twist it back and forth without taking the lid off and that would stir the casing.   I did that for a minute or so every 15 or twenty minutes for the next two hours.  When I examined the results I found that all the casing were bright and shiny, and the insides of the casings, especially the base around the primer exhaust port, were equally clean, just as the video shows.   I dumped out half the fluid, which was VERY dirty, and replaced it with fresh HOT water, but I didn't add any vinegar, salt or soap.  I agitated them a few more times, with  successive changes of water, then flooded them with fresh hot tap water and then cold water until I could not see any more soap bubbles.   Then I rinsed then with some reverse osmosis water from our drinking water generator, and let them air dry.

Couldn't be easier, couldn't be cheaper, and not nearly as labor intensive as using the Scotch Brite.   I do plan, however, to  get a $30 ultrasonic cleaner, which  holds about a quart, and clean them in 50 casing batches in the future.  The same mixture  in an ultrasonic cleaner does equally well in about 10 to 15 minutes, which  includes the rinse time.   And, the ultrasonic device can clean my wife's jewelry too!  :D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 08:00:35 PM by GreyGeek »

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Cleaning brass on the cheap!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 08:42:36 PM »
On -The -Cheap!  I like it!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 08:52:01 PM »
Lemi Shine ...Google it
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 10:33:58 PM by GreyGeek »

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 11:45:35 PM »
Be careful with how long you leave them in the vinegar and how strong it is. It will start to anneal the brass and you don't want the entire case being annealed, only the neck. Done under heat the shoulders will be softened too to some degree.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 11:40:34 AM »
LimiShine!

Great advice, DanW!

I put 1 tablespoon of LimiShine in a quart of hot water, added a few drops of dish washing soap, put the lid on it and shook the plastic container for about 10-15 minutes.   Then I washed it in warm water until the wash water stopped showing soap bubbles.   I covered the 450 brass casing with tap  water, added a teaspoon of baking soda,  and rolled the casings around for 2 or 3 minutes.  Then I rinsed them with warm tap water for another minute, drained them, then covered them with  distilled water and rolled them around for 2 or 3 minutes, drained them again, and  put them on a tray in the oven at 170F until they were dry.

They were already pretty well cleaned with the vinegar and salt solution, but LimiShine made them all look even brighter and more uniform.  Now, the brass color on all of them is identical.  It even helped clean out some of the bases where the flash hole is that the Vinegar didn't get very well.

BTW,  neither Vinegar or Ammonia solutions anneal Brass.   That is a physical, not chemical,  process that requires a movement of the domain structure of the Brass that only a temperature of 685F or higher can accomplish.  Water boils at 212F.     

Neither does the Chloride ion of a salt solution chemically react with the Zinc in the Brass.    For Zinc to dissolve out of the Brass, or be chemically affected by an aqueous solution of Sodium Chloride, thus changing the domains of the Brass,  the Zinc must be MORE reactive than the metal in solution.   In this case, the metal in solution is Sodium, which is extremely reactive with water, and MUCH MORE so than Zinc.  So Zinc will NEVER replace Sodium.  In  other words, you won't be observing Sodium metal platting out on your Brass.   Even if it did, it would immediately react with the water to release Hydrogen gas, which is never observed.   

The "other" metal in all aqueous solutions is H+, the Hydrogen ion.    Even  in a 1 Molar concentration,  Vinegar produces a pH  of only about 2.4.    White Vinegar is typically 5.6% in strength.    You can drink that and often  do when  you put Vinegar dressings on your salads.   IF Zinc were reactive to that weak of an acid you would observe the formation of very small bubbles on the surface of the Brass, especially in warm or hot water, which would indicate the formation of Hydrogen gas.   Such gas not only NOT observed, it is not possible from a Gibbs Free Energy calculation, which I won't go deeper into here except to say that if the GFE calculation is not positive then not only is the proposed reaction not possible, the reaction in the opposite direction will be naturally occurring, even if it may be extremely slow.  (The GFE for the conversion of Diamond to graphite is positive, meaning that given enough time all Diamonds will naturally transform into graphite, but graphite will NEVER spontaneously transform into Diamond without a correspondingly greater increase in the Entropy of the graphite's surroundings caused by sudden increases in temperature or pressure deep inside a volcano, which is why diamonds are found deep in the risers of old, inactive volcanoes.)

Vinegar's chemical name is Acetic (or Ethanoic) Acid.  In concentrated form it is called Glacial Acetic Acid because it forms crystals at 62F, which  is just below room temperature, making it appear to be slushy.  It is very potent and opening the lid on a jar of it releases fumes which cause immediate and severe discomfort, speaking from experience, which  is why it is always used under a hood.  Fumes from a bottle of glacial Acetic Acid are MUCH stronger than fumes from a bottle of White Vinegar found in stores.

When my ultrasonic cleaner comes I will be using LimiShine and soap in it.   Thanks for the tip, DanW!  8)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 08:27:43 PM »
With the Lyman 750 little 1liter thing...  vinegar, water for the first cycle, then water / bakingsoda (to neutralize vinegar), then just water.... and i come up with purty results.  Water being distilled at all times.  There was a site i linked in another thread that had the recipe etc.

I'll eventually be going to the RCBS ultrasonic ... it's moderately priced and has a drain spout for quicker liquid change outs.  The largest lyman also has a drain spout but is a bit beyond what i wanna pay.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 08:57:41 AM »
but is a bit beyond what i wanna pay.

Ya, I went on the cheap  as well, purchasing a $26 ultrasonic jewelry cleaner from  Amazon ("marked down" from $52)