< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Conceal Carry in public schools  (Read 1285 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Conceal Carry in public schools
« on: May 19, 2009, 11:11:10 PM »
I have not come to a final decision for myself on this issue, so please don't get riled up over this subject; however, I would like to convey some of my concerns about NOT allowing concealed carry in the schools. 

Let me first relate a story that is relative to this subject.  In September '05, a boy was molested at a Lincoln grade school.  The community was in an uproar, as they should be, and demanded that LPS increase their security measures.  What was the LPS solution?  They have placed an individual (not LEO, private security company, or anything else close to a trained professional) at the sole accessible door for the school.  Before you can enter, you must speak with this person.  My kids are in middle school, and I have had occasion when I needed to go to their school.  Here is where it gets ridiculous.  I walk in and the young man asks my name which I gladly provide, but he never asks for an ID.  I guess I could have said Mickey Mouse and he would have been happy.  I volunteer my purpose for being at the school, but I'm not sure if that is even something they would normally ask.  After this, they tell me to go about my stated business.  So now I have access to the school and if I DID have intent to do harm, it would be at my discretion.  All they would have on record is the name I chose to provide and the memory of the security personnel to describe me.  Is it just me, or does this seem like good intent but completely worthless execution?

Now here is how it relates to firearms.  Let's say we have a loon who wants to come into a public school and get on the front page of the newspaper after he is dead.  If our current system can't even properly log a name so we can catch the miscreant AFTER the crime, then how do they stop someone with a gun?  I would absolutely love for the Lincoln schools to be as sterile and safe as possible, but unless we put up metal detectors and have everyone empty their pockets, then I don't know what benefit there is from restricting concealed carry in a school.

That's my take on it.  What do you fine folks think?

Fly
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 08:37:11 AM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Re: Conceal Carry in public schools
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 10:54:17 AM »
No comments?  I must be WAY out in left field on this one, or it is too hot of a topic for anyone to get involved with.   :o

Fly

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 11:13:12 AM »
It is pretty pointless. Why should a school be any different than anywhere else?

There are kids at the mall where I am allowed to carry. 
There are kids at the park down the street where I am allowed to carry. 
There are kids walking down streets where I am allowed to carry.
There are college kids serving me food at the restaurant I am allowed to carry at.

Ask any liberal and they will still say they do not "feel" safe with guns at places kids are.  Nevermind that they are already potentially around hundreds of guns per day and will never know it. 

You can argue all day with logic and with facts but you can not argue with a feeling to any great effect.
N0ZXR

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 11:25:01 AM »
Like I said, I would be more than happy if the school system would guarantee that no assailants with weapons entered the school.  However, the only way to do this is to spend a LOT of money which LPS won't do. 

So what makes all weapons, pedophiles, etc. magically stop at the door?

Fly

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 11:39:46 AM »
I think at a minimum you need to report your experience and/or raise he** with the principal and possibly the Urinal Star.

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 12:04:08 PM »
Nothing makes anything stop at the door, at this time.
N0ZXR

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 02:08:33 PM »
This has been a big issue with me also. We as a society consider our children our greatest assets. Yet we make no provisions to "protect them" in situations like this. We place armed guards on a truck carrying money, yet our kids are basically at the will and whim of some scum bucket wanting to cause murder and mayhem. As a security professional, this substandard level of protection or assurance is totally unacceptable. As a bad guy intent on harm, that person asking my name is the first person I take out. They have no means of defense, and that person with no means of defense is the defense the school system chooses to offer our kids. Where is the logic to that?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 08:12:10 PM »
Now here is how it relates to firearms.  Let's say we have a loon who wants to come into a public school and get on the front page of the newspaper after he is dead.  If our current system can't even properly log a name so we can catch the miscreant AFTER the crime, then how do they stop someone with a gun?  I would absolutely love for the Lincoln schools to be as sterile and safe as possible, but unless we put up metal detectors and have everyone empty their pockets, then I don't know what benefit there is from restricting concealed carry in a school.

What is to stop a determined mass murderer from just walking up to the guard at the metal detectors and killing them , then doing as they will? No one else will be able to resist the assault in that scenario either.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline wrenrj1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 08:38:14 PM »
First, I'd suggest you contact LPS and let them know of your concerns about showing ID, that's a valid concern IMHO if a parent (not recognized by staff) was there to pick up a child.  I have some dealings with LPS on a different level at the High schools, but we've always signed in and had a visual with office staff, even with LPD and US Marshals accompanying our personnel along with LPD resource officers.

I look at it from the perspective of my own front door, as I think you do as well.  I know who's coming in and why.